Lift and 37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello, new to the forum.

I have owned my 2016 PW for 3 1/2 years. It is my everyday truck but I also use it offroad hunting and such.

I put a 2 inch front leveling kit and 35s on the stock wheels when I bought it and it has been great performance wise. However, I have still wanted a more aggressive appearance.

I have kicked around lifting it and putting 37s on it for some time. I finally gave in and ordered a 4.5 inch lift. It hasn't come in yet but now I am starting to have some stress and second thoughts.

I am wondering if I should just get larger wheels with a lil more negative offset to stand more aggressive and get knobbier 35s. I am hoping there are some folks out there who have made similar mods that can give me insight.

I have a few concerns. I want the aggressive look and off road performance but still need it to function as a truck. How much higher will the 4.5 inch kit make it.. Is this lift gonna be so high I can't throw anything in and out of the back? What would my fuel mileage hit be? I commute 90 miles a week so not terribly far but still wanna know the hit. Do I need to regear?

Any help would be awesome and I hope for prompt replies as I already ordered the lift and need tires.
20201014_102347.jpg
20201014_103140.jpg

Last edited:

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i would think with your 2.5 inch front leveling you should be fine to run 37's. I have a 2018 with the thuren 0.5 front leveling springs and 37's with a +28 offset aev salta wheel, slight rubbing on the driver side where my mudflap was. I heated the plastic fender liner and reshaped it enough to be out of the way and i pounded the pinch weld over. Here is a couple of pics in moab
FB_IMG_1600812598893.jpg FB_IMG_1600813007554.jpg 37 1.jpg.37 1.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
A couple things to consider...
1. The Power Wagons are already lifted compared to the std 2500`s, is your level via taller springs or spacers, if spacers, start there and do a proper level with Thuren or Carli springs/shocks, etc.

2. With a little trimming you can run a 37in tires, if you want a meaner stance there are several Ram specific wheels with the correct back-space. Btw, 35`s sound like the best overall choice for you since the truck is a daily driver and mileage is a concern.
Also, you shouldn`t need a re-gear with 35`s, 37`s especially if you tow will probably need lower gears..

3. I noticed that you`re in Oregon, when going to more aggressive tires keep in mind that mud tires SUCK on wet or icy roads, pick the proper tire for your use, these days many of the AT tires do just about everything well except gumbo mud which I doubt will be a problem where you live...

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frank B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The leveling kit is spacers. I have already decided that the only way I am going to do 37s is if I lift it. Either way I am putting a more aggressive wheel. I will probably go with BFG KO2 tires either way whether 35 or 37.

I guess ultimately I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and lift it with 37s or keep it as is with 35s and just get upgraded wheels. Can't decide on looks over function.

OP
OP
F

Frank B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I think I am leaning in the direction of keeping the 35s. I have been running them for the entire time I have had the truck and have had 0 complaints performance wise. My only issue has been aesthetic. I want the flush level aggressive stance.

So do you agree that if I am staying on 35s I should cancel the 4.5 inch lift kit?

A couple things to consider...
1. The Power Wagons are already lifted compared to the std 2500`s, is your level via taller springs or spacers, if spacers, start there and do a proper level with Thuren or Carli springs/shocks, etc.

2. With a little trimming you can run a 37in tires, if you want a meaner stance there are several Ram specific wheels with the correct back-space. Btw, 35`s sound like the best overall choice for you since the truck is a daily driver and mileage is a concern.
Also, you shouldn`t need a re-gear with 35`s, 37`s especially if you tow will probably need lower gears..

3. I noticed that you`re in Oregon, when going to more aggressive tires keep in mind that mud tires SUCK on wet or icy roads, pick the proper tire for your use, these days many of the AT tires do just about everything well except gumbo mud which I doubt will be a problem where you live...

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would cancel the 4.5" lift and replace the spacer leveling kit with a Thuren leveling kit that Rick mentioned above regardless of 35" or 37" tires. If KO2 I would go with 37's since they are a little undersized (I run 37" KM3's and they measure around 35.5" on the truck). It looks like your flares stick out a little more than factory so for a more aggressive look I would go with a +18mm offset...lots of wheel options in that offset. I run 37x13.5/17 on +27 mm offset with no lift and no rubbing.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I hear you on wanting your truck to have more presence, a little aggressive look, its a beast of a truck it should have some of that in its appearance. Imo
I did all the things that your thinking about landing on 37s but I was very happy with my truck on 35s. Maybe be go back but I am currently very happy on 37s. This truck will always be on one or the other. I regeared, 5.13, and have thuren 1.5" PW lift which is the equivalent of a 3" starting at normal 2500 truck height. My truck is plenty high for me and one aspect of the Thuren setup is the Thuren is as much a performance upgrade as a lift and that was important to me.
Right now I went with the Thuren shocks, and will move to Fox/Thuren in a year or so. The Overland shock performs really well but I dont think they will last too long on this big ol beast.
The power wagon at 3" of lift with 37" km3 (smaller 37) and -12mm offset. The negative offset is wider then many will recommend for the wagon by just a bit. Ideal offset for clearance on 37s is between 0mm to 28mm (I believe).
Myself, I would not go as high as 4.5 due to all the systems impacted. At 3.0" nothing additional needs to change. The 3" is total lift or 1.5" power wagon plus another 1.5". Once that is exceeded other systems will need to be extended. Here's what mines aesthetic presence:
I personally like the wider stance, my 37s dont rub and didn't before the bumper swap (almost done), I remolded the plastic liners and ground a small amount of the pinch weld. Only thing I would change right is I let the dealer cut my liners for the 35s, not necessary and I use a grinder on the pinch welds, apparently all I need was to remold the pinch with a hammer.
The km3 is 37x12.5x18. And measure a bit on the smaller side of a 37" tire. I understand MTs dont all handle snow well, but the km3 has 10kmi and one winter, so far they've been outstanding and I'd wear em again. My Mickey Thompson MTs rocked it also. 80k mi on two sets of mickeys and 10k mi on the km3.
I regeared but I also live at 7000ft above sea level and climb higher most days so I felt it really warranted the regear mod. c9d35bc51970a861895129e1bc65efd8.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't believe I have sacrificed any functionality of my truck, it may not be the look that others want but you can find the look you're after and continue to improve the performance of your truck at the same time. The guess work can be removed significantly throug this incredible Knowledgebase that these guys are. I dig it and with my amazing memory (not) most things I get to learn twice, it's like double christmas every day. :)
(Sorry about second post, I seem to have lost my edit functionality. )

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you already have 2" spacers on the front so ditching those and going with the 4.5" PW specific lift should net you 2.5" additional lift as compared to what you have now. If you are talking about 4.5" Rough Country lift then it comes with rear coil spacers but I'm not sure how tall they are.....most pickup lift kits don't lift the rear as high as the front to give a more level appearance. I would guess they are somewhere between 2"-3". Add in another 1" or so of height when going from 35's to 37's and would estimate the bed and tailgate height would increase 3"-4" from what it is now. One way to simulate a lift is to jack up the truck with a floor jack by the hitch and somewhere under the front frame rails the appropriate amount and see what it is like.

The lift will decrease MPG to some extent as simple physics say so. You are increasing the aerodynamic drag of the truck since it is higher and has overall more frontal area, plus more wind turbulence is going under the truck. Larger and more aggressive tires generally weigh more and have more rolling resistance, thus contributing to more drag. With that said I can't tell you for sure what extent the MPG will decrease and if that amount of decrease will be an issue for you.

Personally, I think 35's would look tiny on a 4.5" lift......actually think 35's look kinda' small with your current lift. I have 1.5" lift front Thuren coils and 1" rear spacers and think 35's look small on mine and wish I had 37's.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I would advise against any 4-4.5" lifts from BDS or rough junk. when you get into those style kits they incorporate all kinds of bolt on drop brackets which just add another point of failure if you doing any halfway serious wheeling. I would say lose the spacers and get a full thuren or carli 1.5" level setup. You really cant go wrong with either of those guys. Both offer shock options from Fox and King as well thuren offers their budget friendly overland shocks which are still a nice step up from stock. I went with Thuren King 2.5s and I couldn't be happier.

I have 37s with my Thuren level I did go with a +18mm offset wheel I had minor rub on the pinch seam which i trimmed. During full flex turning I also got rub on the drivers side fender liner near the bumper,nothing a hot razor blade couldnt fix

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
****...even 37’s look small on a power wagon with 4.5” of lift. Just a few inches above a power wagon is plenty for 37’s unless you are looking for the sky high stance.

I would throw that lift kit in the trash and order some Thuren goodies.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Yeah, I think I am leaning in the direction of keeping the 35s. I have been running them for the entire time I have had the truck and have had 0 complaints performance wise. My only issue has been aesthetic. I want the flush level aggressive stance.

So do you agree that if I am staying on 35s I should cancel the 4.5 inch lift kit?

The 2 preferred suspension manuf for the Ram (Thuren & Carli) do not make a kit over 3-3 1/2in (for a reason,) the mfg of 4+ in kits do not have the same reputation for function/quality....
For the same price or less as the 4+in kit you can get new wheels and a level kit from one of the preferred mfg and premium shocks (Fox or King) all around. Keep in mind, the larger tire you go with your mileage will go down unless you re-gear!

Concerning wheels, the recommended off-set is in the +18- +27 which may not be the aggressive look/stance you want , just keep in mind if you go 0 or - off-set you may experience accelerated ball joint/wheel bearing wear issues!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AEV silver Saltas are $150 a pop right now and you get free shipping if you go thru offroad power products. I ordered some and they were delivered the following day.

OP
OP
F

Frank B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I happened to run into a guy today who has the Thuren kit on his PW with 35s. Sold me on it so I am going to return the other lift kit and purchase the thuren kit, buy new 35s, and get wheels with enough offset to be flush with the flares.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Hello, new to the forum.

I have owned my 2016 PW for 3 1/2 years. It is my everyday truck but I also use it offroad hunting and such.

I put a 2 inch front leveling kit and 35s on the stock wheels when I bought it and it has been great performance wise. However, I have still wanted a more aggressive appearance.

I have kicked around lifting it and putting 37s on it for some time. I finally gave in and ordered a 4.5 inch lift. It hasn't come in yet but now I am starting to have some stress and second thoughts.

I am wondering if I should just get larger wheels with a lil more negative offset to stand more aggressive and get knobbier 35s. I am hoping there are some folks out there who have made similar mods that can give me insight.

I have a few concerns. I want the aggressive look and off road performance but still need it to function as a truck. How much higher will the 4.5 inch kit make it.. Is this lift gonna be so high I can't throw anything in and out of the back? What would my fuel mileage hit be? I commute 90 miles a week so not terribly far but still wanna know the hit. Do I need to regear?

Any help would be awesome and I hope for prompt replies as I already ordered the lift and need tires.
View attachment 224621
View attachment 224622
Welcome to the Club! Glad you got the help you were looking for.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I happened to run into a guy today who has the Thuren kit on his PW with 35s. Sold me on it so I am going to return the other lift kit and purchase the thuren kit, buy new 35s, and get wheels with enough offset to be flush with the flares.

Heck yea, sounds like a plan!

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would cancel the 4.5" lift and replace the spacer leveling kit with a Thuren leveling kit that Rick mentioned above regardless of 35" or 37" tires. If KO2 I would go with 37's since they are a little undersized (I run 37" KM3's and they measure around 35.5" on the truck). It looks like your flares stick out a little more than factory so for a more aggressive look I would go with a +18mm offset...lots of wheel options in that offset. I run 37x13.5/17 on +27 mm offset with no lift and no rubbing.
Hey, i haven't seen your rig since you landed the 37x13.5s, if you get a chance I would like to see it. Other than the consequences stated by Rick Ram-Jet above I might go with the thirteen-fifty when these run out. I have run 35s at the -12mm since it was new and I replaced front hubs at around 70k miles.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
i would think with your 2.5 inch front leveling you should be fine to run 37's. I have a 2018 with the thuren 0.5 front leveling springs and 37's with a +28 offset aev salta wheel, slight rubbing on the driver side where my mudflap was. I heated the plastic fender liner and reshaped it enough to be out of the way and i pounded the pinch weld over. Here is a couple of pics in moab
View attachment 224625 View attachment 224626 View attachment 224624.View attachment 224624
Nice Climbing!! super sic

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey, i haven't seen your rig since you landed the 37x13.5s, if you get a chance I would like to see it. Other than the consequences stated by Rick Ram-Jet above I might go with the thirteen-fifty when these run out. I have run 35s at the -12mm since it was new and I replaced front hubs at around 70k miles.

I posted some pics right after I bought my tires in the KM3 vs G003 thread I started but haven't taken any pics after that. I'll try to take some recent pics but I'm loving the 37x13.5s. I have about 3.5 K miles on them, already had them rotated, been in the mud and they did fantastic. They are starting to look a little small though so next time I need tires I'm thinking I'll jump to the 39x13.5's...would re-gear first though. Speaking of lifts, I removed my factory steps and installed some powered amp steps this past weekend and my truck "looks" like it got a lift!

I'm digging your truck with all the upgrades...between the front bumper and fender flares it's looking mean! I know most don't like negative offset wheels on here but your fenders look to stick out a little more and the overall look is great!