Lifter won’t charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I didn't think the heads were part of the oil supply path. I thought the lifter bore supplied the oil from the pump to the lifter, which then pumped it up through the pushrod to the rockers and it was all just gravity from there back to the pan.

You are correct, the heads are not in the supply path. I am looking at it from a geometry point of view. The engine drove into my shop without this issue and the only thing that changed is the aftermarket heads we put on. The oem heads had cracks between the valves.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use stock gasket crush height? You probably know what I'm getting at.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Here is a video of the lifter. What you see me doing is applying pressure with a plastic block. Sometimes this will get the lifter pumping oil:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I agree with pacofortacos. My experience is there should be oil slinging all over the place from the other lifters even if that one is a problem. It was like you hardly had any pressure at all, which makes sense since its the last one in line for oil.

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The oil pressure gauge reads good but I realize it takes its reading straight up from the oil pump. Any ideas on how I can follow up on this. One thing for sure is there is no blockages in the galleys. Now I have to suspect a bad bearing. All bearings were checked with plastic gauge when installed

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The oil pressure gauge reads good but I realize it takes its reading straight up from the oil pump. Any ideas on how I can follow up on this. One thing for sure is there is no blockages in the galleys. Now I have to suspect a bad bearing. All bearings were checked with plastic gauge when installed

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the oil holes in the bering lineup with the holes in the block on all bearings and are each expanded to specs good lifter with proper pushrods larger than stock exhaust lift may require longer pushrods rocker oil hole is big enough I cant see why you wouldn't have oil to the top. Especially if #1 & #4 have it

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are using a roller cam for a magnum not a flat tappit for the A block? The way you described the oil flow is the A block

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a roller lifter engine.
Yeah I just saw the video
There should be enough preload on those lifters that you should not be able to spin the push rods even when there not pumped up all the way. Maybe cam isn't far enough forward? Lifters should roll more to one edge the rear edge of cam lobe and both holes plugged in timing cover end. I have couple blocks here I'm racking my brain on this

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I just saw the video
There should be enough preload on those lifters that you should not be able to spin the push rods even when there not pumped up all the way. Maybe cam isn't far enough forward? Lifters should roll more to one edge the rear edge of cam lobe and both holes plugged in timing cover end. I have couple blocks here I'm racking my brain on this

Your loosen pressure somewhere it's just not making it all the way to that lifter. All that noise is coming from that one lifter?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you guys heard of Nick's Garage, He's a old school, Mopar Muscle cars for race or general driving, He's on YouTube all the time, you could contact him and tell him all you've done and maybe he has a solution, he's Dyno testing small blocks all the time.

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, this is one for the hall of fame. Swapped the heads and it followed the head over to the other side. IOW, #7 intake is noisy and not pumping oil now. Something wrong with the geometry on that cylinder. It is an aftermarket head made in China I assume. Monday I will find out if I can get warranty on it. Annoyed yet relieved that I found the issue.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you found out the cause! Hopefully they will replace it! Best of luck!

OP
OP
M

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have another head coming for warranty. I can tell they have doubts about my prognosis but I guess I would too if I were in their position. Hopefully the head gets here B4 the weekend so the grandson can help

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, this is one for the hall of fame. Swapped the heads and it followed the head over to the other side. IOW, #7 intake is noisy and not pumping oil now. Something wrong with the geometry on that cylinder. It is an aftermarket head made in China I assume. Monday I will find out if I can get warranty on it. Annoyed yet relieved that
Well, this is one for the hall of fame. Swapped the heads and it followed the head over to the other side. IOW, #7 intake is noisy and not pumping oil now. Something wrong with the geometry on that cylinder. It is an aftermarket head made in China I assume. Monday I will find out if I can get warranty on it. Annoyed yet relieved that I found the issue.

How is the angle on that pushrods??
Or maybe all are on bad angles that can stop oil flow especially on lifters like milling with small holes even with the stock heads. Some openings might need to be enlarged on rockers and pushrods. Rockers are usually the holes not lined up well enough