Living with a 4X2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Ha, Ha, I expected it to be some 80 year old with a fedora who got lost on the outskirts of LA! "Hey ....can you help me find this road on the map?!"

Sure going to **** off guys who dumped thousands into their 4x4 jacked-up rigs, when they coulda just went and bought a full-sized sedan or a cumfey Towne Car! :)
Yea lol, in that video they laugh about some 4x4 rig that was at the basin how they wouldn't even attempt the route that crown Victoria took to get up there.

Who needs 4x4, all you need is your dog and a crown Victoria, if the dog made it your crown vic is going too!! Haha

Also that crown vic is a regular thing up there, not a 1x time blowup the tranny/motor. check the videos, guys a regular up there with his dog and bicycles in his trunk

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have exact measurements, but looking at pics of both, I'd swear my 09 4x4 was a bit taller than the 09 2x4. Could also be the sport kit of the 2x4 making it look lower.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 3rd Gen Rams had a different stance between 2wd and 4wd versions. I just assumed it was the same in the 4th Gens, I guess you learn something new everyday...

I work 40 miles from home, and work in a hospital where I am required to show up regardless of snow totals. 2wd would make it a very dangerous commute during a blizzard. With 4wd, this truck just keeps on truckin' along regardless of snow totals.

The only single axle powered vehicle I will own is a motorcycle.

Anything is possible (living with a 2wd), but why would I buy a 50k vehicle then skimp on 4wd. If I ever get a sports car, it will also be limited to those that come AWD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BillinNM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Quadcab 4X2
Engine
Pentastar 6
JPT, I'd have 4WD in your shoes, too. Unlike you, I bought a $25K vehicle. I may regret not having 4WD, especially if I move to a different climate from the desert. Agree on AWD. The little Forester I traded in was a very capable vehicle in all sorts of conditions.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JPT, I'd have 4WD in your shoes, too. Unlike you, I bought a $25K vehicle. I may regret not having 4WD, especially if I move to a different climate from the desert. Agree on AWD. The little Forester I traded in was a very capable vehicle in all sorts of conditions.

I had a 2002 wrangler which I wheeled hard, then I got a Audi A4 quattro, after that I said I would never own a vehicle without AWD/4wd. In the rain alone it is worth it.

I put my Ram in Auto 4wd anytime the ground isn't dry.

Mike Works

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am the new owner of a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4. I had a 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ which was a great truck but it was a 4X2. It was alright the last 2 years in the snow. Last year we got a lot of snow, for Virginia, and I had a difficult time getting out of my neighborhood to go to work. I thought because we didn't get a lot of snow the 4X2 would be fine. Every year we get more snow so I decided to purchase a 4X4. I got a great deal on my certified Ram 1500 Laramie and couldn't pass it up. Maybe I won't have to use it this winter but I am glad I have the option now.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure you can live with a 4x2 anything until you really need 4x4, I have a 4x2 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, and the RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, there is no question which one I’ll take if I need to drive in Harsh terrain/conditions, and yes, I’ve driven the Silverado with its factory G80 diff all across some mountains with snow, dirt, sand, mud, used chains, and had to be recovered with a winch a couple of times, it makes no sense to drive a 4x2 vehicle where a 4x4 is needed, period, it can even be expensive If you think otherwise., but the good thing about it, it’s your call, so it’s up to you to make the right one.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
4x4 because for all the times I didn't have it and wished I did and for what I got the truck for it was at that point a "throw it in too" decision.

That's how we know who moved up to Oregon from California ;)
Californication

Now now now, some of us out here are "Mountain" and know how to drive, but then again, I spent every single Summer and a ton of other time in the Sierras and Oregon so I was forced to learn to drive. How else you gonna go deer hunting in the backcountry? Nevermind all the snowboarding, etc. I learned to drive offroad outside of Grants Pass and onroad at Hwy 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose. You learn REAL QUICK what to do and how to do it with those spots.

*Yeah, most people here CAN'T drive, but bear in mind most these days aren't even native to the state. Most Old-Schoolers are getting out.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I learned to drive offroad outside of Grants Pass and onroad at Hwy 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose. You learn REAL QUICK what to do and how to do it with those spots.

Grants Pass is pretty awesome for lots of stuff - off-roading, whitewater kayaking, hiking backcountry... The Vortex is a pretty cool tourist trap too. (My in-laws used to live in nearby Merlin.)

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I don't need 4x4 where I live. My 4x2 Sport tows and hauls everything I need it to, launched my boat just fine on every ramp I've been to and does just fine in inclement weather.

If i really want to go off-road I have a '12 Rubicon that's built.

Everyone seems to have to have 4x4, when 99% of those people will never use the transfer case. Ever.

OP
OP
B

BillinNM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Quadcab 4X2
Engine
Pentastar 6
O.R.T., I lived for most of 50 years in the Rogue Valley and would have a 4X4 there just because I spent so much time hunting and fishing in the Cascades and Siskiyous -- or running over to Klamath or up to Bend.

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
Previously I had a 2003 Ram QCSB 4x4 w/HEMI that was great but ended up trading it off as I wanted to go more places offroad that would have really tore up the Ram, i.e tight trails. So I picked up a 99 Cherokee. 4.5" lift, 33" tires. Runs awesome but decided I needed a more appropriate city/road trip vehicle. I recently purchased a 2013 Express 2wd. I would have loved 4x4 but all the ones I test drove in my price range were gutless 4.7L. Now I have a good truck for trips, for towing the XJ, or what ever. Most, not all, but most things can be done in a 2wd with careful driving. And if careful driving doesn't cut it, hammer the skinny pedal and hold on.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a few sand bags in box and decent tires ..no problem in winter

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m one of those guys who thinks 4x4 is an insult to my driving ability.
I live where it’s crappy weather 7 months of the year.
I’m a firm believer tires keep you on the road, 4x4 is what gets you out of the ditch.
My previous truck was an 08 1500 slt 4x4. Great truck but I hated the 4x4. It seemed to me because the weight bias was more on the nose with the transfer case and all the other crap, you actually needed 4x4 to get around. There’s really no weight over the back of a 4x4, Diesel guys know exactly what I’m talking about.
My current ride is a 4x2. It’s awesome. Buy good tires. Make sure you have a good lsd, and drive with common sense.
And yea. It’s a royal ******* most dealers don’t even stock them in this part of the world.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m one of those guys who thinks 4x4 is an insult to my driving ability.
I live where it’s crappy weather 7 months of the year.
I’m a firm believer tires keep you on the road, 4x4 is what gets you out of the ditch.
My previous truck was an 08 1500 slt 4x4. Great truck but I hated the 4x4. It seemed to me because the weight bias was more on the nose with the transfer case and all the other crap, you actually needed 4x4 to get around. There’s really no weight over the back of a 4x4, Diesel guys know exactly what I’m talking about.
My current ride is a 4x2. It’s awesome. Buy good tires. Make sure you have a good lsd, and drive with common sense.
And yea. It’s a royal ******* most dealers don’t even stock them in this part of the world.

A lot of truth to what you say. I am from the era where 4x4 was a rarity and learned how to drive on rear wheel drive vehicles with good snow tires in the winter months in northern Jersey. That being said, o prefer my 4x4. I could get by with out it though.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4498f96df5e37544782e2013e0145410.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No joke in being old and having driving skill. I’m not claiming to be the worlds greatest wheelman. But like already mentioned. I’m from the times when the only people who owned a 4x4, lived on the side of a mountain.
The joke however....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hear you ram driver ! In North Jersey they plowed the roads differently. Used more sand and left a little bit of snow for traction. This was back in the early 70s and before. Now they just go down to pavement and load the roads up with sand.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Grew up in the NE with nothing but RWD cars... learned to snow drive on crap tires without a LSD or traction control.

My 08' Mega was 2wd and did just fine in the south for the time I lived there.

Moved back north and it didn't do well in the snow. Decent tires, LSD, weight in the bed... it got stuck on any grade. The truck simply weighed too much. I have a 300' driveway that has a decent grade to a dip in the middle - drops about 20' or so, and that is where the truck would sit in the snow.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
By that logic, I'm screwed anyway. I don't have a CCW, or a real gun of any kind, nor do I plan on getting one. I did enough with guns while in the AF, and didn't particularly enjoy it.

I also don't have a boat - you know, in case it floods again. Nor do I have life vests in the house in lieu of a boat.

Wait, I don't have shark repellent, or a shark suit in case I fall out of the boat during the flood. Or more likely in my case, gator repellent.

Better stock up on tin foil for making hats out of in case the UFOs come...

Yes, getting a bit silly, but you can't plan and buy for every contingency. Sure, there might come a day when 4x4 could save my life. There could also come a day when I get hit by lightning while being mauled by a bear. Not likely, but it could happen. Most decisions in life are playing the odds. Do I get an extended warranty? Do I need a Crew, or will a quad work? Do I really need the Hemi? Or is MPG more important than raw HP? Do I marry the woman even though she's a psycho, but has a great body?

Sorry, got a little carried away there. No offense meant.
All that doesn't matter. I'd have bought your truck just because it's beautiful. Probably the only color I would rather have than mine.