Locked keys/FOB in truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RamExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's crazy, I didn't even think that was possible. Maybe it was just a fluke.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Where'd you get a "door key"?
I believe it came with my truck when I bought it new. That is the key I have in a box under the truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it came with my truck when I bought it new. That is the key I have in a box under the truck.

The valet key that’s stored in the fob? I believe if it were me, I’d get just a regular copy made of that key to hide somewhere and then leave the other in the fob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
The valet key that’s stored in the fob? I believe if it were me, I’d get just a regular copy made of that key to hide somewhere and then leave the other in the fob.

Not the key that you can remove from the FOB. It’s like a regular flat key with a plastic cover embossed with the Ram logo.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the key that you can remove from the FOB. It’s like a regular flat key with a plastic cover embossed with the Ram logo.

Hmm, I never got one of those.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine came with two regular style keys with the two fobs. Carry the key on my key ring, and the fob by itself.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have one of those keys as well. The system does seem to have a few glitches. I rarely lock my cab now because I need access to the box of my truck all day long and you can't lock the doors without locking the tailgate and when I carry the key I set off the alarm leaning on the fob often enough to make more than just me annoyed. About a week ago I went into the cab, which was unlocked and the alarm went off. Had to run to the office to get the keys to shut it up.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does that include the proximity in the door handles? As in no touching of the remote necessary if the remote is in your pocket, you just touch the handle and it unlocks? I might be wrong, but I believe that was more what Jake was referring to, rather than just the push button start.

All 5th gens now have push button start I believe, but do they all have the proximity handles as well?

NO, depending upon trim level what U get. I got Bighorn with Level 2 options, but no proximity ne thing, but that also works for me
. And no key locks for tailgate, all electronic...,

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NO, depending upon trim level what U get. I got Bighorn with Level 2 options, but no proximity ne thing, but that also works for me
. And no key locks for tailgate, all electronic...,

Ah gotcha, yeah this is my first truck with the proximity thing, never had an issue with my older trucks using the remote to lock it (or with it staying locked). Just curious for the other proximity guys in here if they are getting the same thing where you push the button on the handle and the locks sound and lights flash, but doesn't actually lock. As I mentioned earlier I thought I had the same issue as the previous posters but then realized the thing never actually locked when I hit the button, rather than randomly unlocking at a later time.

tbta02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
impossible to lock fob in truck with a prox fob
it will lock while running, sit in your car while running with the key inside and hit door locks it will lock. locked them in on the beach 4e wheeling

Mark Wright

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie and this morning I stepped out of the vehicle with the key fob and my cell phone inside the cab of the truck. I did not press any lock/unlock buttons....I just got out of the truck and closed the door. The truck has an automatic lock function.....even with the fob inside the cab the truck locked. The truck would not unlock by touching the door handles (I tried all 4 doors and tailgate). I had to contact my wife and get her to download the UConnect app and log into it using my information.....she was able to remote unlock the door so I could get back inside. Very valuable lesson learned today......

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
After getting my fob locked inside of my truck a couple of times I made a copy of the fob key and hid it in a magnetic box. Been locked out a few times since due to all the conditions described in this thread, but thanks to that hidden key I was saved.

I have since installed a locking fuel door. So the magnetic box now has my fuel door key. The fob door key is velcroed to the roof of the fuel compartment. This way if someone finds my magnetic box they won't have a door key, they'll have a key that they may not know what if fits. If they find it fits the fuel door I'm hoping they won't find the hidden door key.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie and this morning I stepped out of the vehicle with the key fob and my cell phone inside the cab of the truck. I did not press any lock/unlock buttons....I just got out of the truck and closed the door. The truck has an automatic lock function.....even with the fob inside the cab the truck locked. The truck would not unlock by touching the door handles (I tried all 4 doors and tailgate). I had to contact my wife and get her to download the UConnect app and log into it using my information.....she was able to remote unlock the door so I could get back inside. Very valuable lesson learned today......

Hmm. I would think it safe to say you got a serious problem that needs checkin’ out because it shouldn’t lock you out under no circumstances if the key is in the ignition, or fob on a keyless ignition is left in the vehicle, passive-entry equipped or not.

But I’m assuming you have key-less ignition, right? Does your truck say fob not present in vehicle, or whatever it says, if you step out of the truck with it running, with the key in your pocket? You could have something wrong with your interior sensors that sense the fob’s presence because I’ve noticed an auto lock too, on my 4th-gen 18. Lemmie be clear, it doesn’t just lock itself outta the blue, if I park in the driveway and go in the house for the evening and forget to lock the truck, it’ll still be unlocked the next morning. But, if I lock it when I get out of it and say, have to go back out to it an hour later for to get something out of it, it will automatically re-lock itself if I forget to do it. Now as far as whether or not if I was to happen to accidentally leave the fob in the truck ad it still auto locks, I don’t know that because I’ve done long time ago gotten myself in the habit of putting my key in my pocket. I don’t take it out when I get in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After getting my fob locked inside of my truck a couple of times I made a copy of the fob key and hid it in a magnetic box. Been locked out a few times since due to all the conditions described in this thread, but thanks to that hidden key I was saved.

I have since installed a locking fuel door. So the magnetic box now has my fuel door key. The fob door key is velcroed to the roof of the fuel compartment. This way if someone finds my magnetic box they won't have a door key, they'll have a key that they may not know what if fits. If they find it fits the fuel door I'm hoping they won't find the hidden door key.

That’s probably the safer option but, I’ve yet to be locked out of my truck. Of course, I don’t make it habit to ever ever leave my key in the truck, which is probably my saving grace, I dunno. But then again, I have the Uconnect app to save my ass if I ever do lock myself out of my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey John, where did you get your locking fuel door? Is it the same color as your truck?