Looking for opinions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LnWlf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, y'all. I just lucked into a 2011 1500 SLT. Later, soon as I can figger out how, I'll add a sig. For now, though I'd like to hear opinions on mods for my new friend. I call him Fluffy. Now, don't snicker, it's a 5.7 R.C. 4WD, with a factory tow package. His full name is Fluffy D'Attack Sheep ;).
Specifically, I want to do a few minor mods. While I'm pretty familiar with the LA's (239, 318, 360) this is my first HEMI. Will the same basic mods work for my 345 as they did for my 318? Here's what I have in mind so far: Colder stat, CAI (leaning homebrew, but the MOPAR one keeps calling to me). As I understand, the stock plugs are all copper. Should/could I run a longer life plug on the exhaust side? I'd like to delete the clutch fan. Anyone know what CFM I would need for a total electric fan setup? Eventually, I'm going to add headers with a close-as-possible true duel exhaust system along with a tuner. But that's down the road. Right now, time and money only allows the basics. So.
If anyone has ideas, comments, or even a kick to my backside for messing around with a perfectly good as it is truck, I'd appreciate very much hearing from one and all - Mark.
:cheers:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I'd start with a cold air intake, an exhaust upgrade - even if it's a better flowing muffler replacing what's there now and using the stock pipes - and a programmer with a custom tune. That will really wake up that HEMI and that combo is truly the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

A lot of folks that have replaced their copper plugs with non-copper types reported some misfire issues. In most cases the plugs were simply too long and weren't indexed properly. Once they replaced the plugs with stock spec copper types the issues went away. Don't mix plug types. Do all 16 with the same type plug.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Hey, y'all. I just lucked into a 2011 1500 SLT. Later, soon as I can figger out how, I'll add a sig. For now, though I'd like to hear opinions on mods for my new friend. I call him Fluffy. Now, don't snicker, it's a 5.7 R.C. 4WD, with a factory tow package. His full name is Fluffy D'Attack Sheep ;).
Specifically, I want to do a few minor mods. While I'm pretty familiar with the LA's (239, 318, 360) this is my first HEMI. Will the same basic mods work for my 345 as they did for my 318? Here's what I have in mind so far: Colder stat, CAI (leaning homebrew, but the MOPAR one keeps calling to me). As I understand, the stock plugs are all copper. Should/could I run a longer life plug on the exhaust side? I'd like to delete the clutch fan. Anyone know what CFM I would need for a total electric fan setup? Eventually, I'm going to add headers with a close-as-possible true duel exhaust system along with a tuner. But that's down the road. Right now, time and money only allows the basics. So.
If anyone has ideas, comments, or even a kick to my backside for messing around with a perfectly good as it is truck, I'd appreciate very much hearing from one and all - Mark.
:cheers:

Sorry, you lost me at Fluffy

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum.

I'd start with a cold air intake, an exhaust upgrade - even if it's a better flowing muffler replacing what's there now and using the stock pipes - and a programmer with a custom tune. That will really wake up that HEMI and that combo is truly the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

A lot of folks that have replaced their copper plugs with non-copper types reported some misfire issues. In most cases the plugs were simply too long and weren't indexed properly. Once they replaced the plugs with stock spec copper types the issues went away. Don't mix plug types. Do all 16 with the same type plug.

This. Vararam intake, Carven Progressive or Competitor muffler, and Hemifever custom tune. I live in Texas south of Houston, so I put in a 180 tstat, my truck loves the cooler temps, runs like **** when it's hot out or at hotter temps. Forgot, a pedal commander is loads of fun as well.

OP
OP
L

LnWlf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's ok, goflshn, my wife hates it too. The name, not the truck, lol. Besides, I told ya I'd accept kicks in the rear Ed. note: Sorry I hit the dern reply button too soon, and I double posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LnWlf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's ok, goflshn, my wife hates it too. The name, not the truck, lol. Besides, I told ya I'd accept kicks in the rear. Thanks, MADDOG, I knew coppers were the best choice. From stock to mild mods, the coppers usually work best in the Magnums. Guess they do in HEMI's as well. At the risk of sounding quite stupid, what is a peddle commander? Is it a go-faster thing?

Last edited:

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This. Vararam intake, Carven Progressive or Competitor muffler, and Hemifever custom tune. I live in Texas south of Houston, so I put in a 180 tstat, my truck loves the cooler temps, runs like **** when it's hot out or at hotter temps. Forgot, a pedal commander is loads of fun as well.

I second this. The vararam is the better choice vs a CAI because all a cold air intake does is just suck in hot engine air. I just put the Carven Competitor on my truck and it sounds great, easily one of the better louder-style mufflers out on the market now. The progressive series is a good choice too if you want something a little more quiet. Check out the thread that has mods done for under $100. The DeeZee tailgate assist and the cabin air filter mod are some of the more popular choices to sum it up. Have fun making it yours!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
what is a peddle commander? Is it a go-faster thing?

In this drive by wire world, Pedal Commander simply speeds up the throttle body reaction to pushing the go fast pedal. It does nothing for power or torque, it just makes your throttle way more reactive so it feels much faster. Mashing the throttle with your foot faster is not the same no matter what people tell you. This actually makes the throttle body quicker. I love mine.

OP
OP
L

LnWlf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to thank everyone who suggested the pedal commander to me. I've done some research on it. Seems like a pretty nifty mod. It's on the to-do list now.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
People have issues with Iridium over copper because the iridium plugs have more resistance and require more current to fire correctly. There is a mod to get iridium running right and that's done by using the coils for, I believe, 2014+ rams because that's when iridium started being the stock plug. Could be wrong on the year, maybe 2015, its mentioned a few times in the forums

TankTaylor21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just purchased 2017 Ram 1500 4x4. I had a 6in lift installed with 35s on 20s. Still powerful cause of the Hemi. Of course my mpg went way down. What is a good tune? I have a cold air intake. Will be getting a exhaust soon.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People have issues with Iridium over copper because the iridium plugs have more resistance and require more current to fire correctly. There is a mod to get iridium running right and that's done by using the coils for, I believe, 2014+ rams because that's when iridium started being the stock plug. Could be wrong on the year, maybe 2015, its mentioned a few times in the forums
You got the year right. It's '14.