Looking for quality LED 9005’s for highbeams in OE Premium Projector headlights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after looking at those you linked, they say they’re for highbeams and the looks of them on the end is different than the others so, even though I quoted your post, this question is up for anyone to ask but is there LED’s meant for highbeams while others are meant(designed) for fog lights? I’m just curious why these that you linked are shaped the way they are on the end and those other ones are so bulky on the LED end. Would these work better?

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after looking at those you linked, they say they’re for highbeams and the looks of them on the end is different than the others so, even though I quoted your post, this question is up for anyone to ask but is there LED’s meant for highbeams while others are meant(designed) for fog lights? I’m just curious why these that you linked are shaped the way they are on the end and those other ones are so bulky on the LED end. Would these work better?
Probably because for most headlight setups, these would "only" be the high beams. While the projectors on the 4th gens use the same bulb for low and high.

I have some of the "other" design, and it seems like it is mostly heatsinking, as the COB itself gets hot at these kind of power levels. So the "bulky" ones have some heatsinking at the end, while the Auxito's rely on the PCB to get heat to the heat sink. Not my personal preference, but it's probably designed to pull the heat properly. Then again, most high beams don't usually get abused as much as lows.

My OE halogen lows were clearly about to die, but the OE highs (after 5 years) looked basically brand new (the actual filament when I upgraded them.)

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those are the ones the site populated for low beams when I entered the trucks info into the site.

There are some specific to the fogs on the Auxito web site. I used those as mentioned, but the ones they recommended were the wrong size. That's why I would pull a fog bulb and verify before ordering.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably because for most headlight setups, these would "only" be the high beams. While the projectors on the 4th gens use the same bulb for low and high.

I have some of the "other" design, and it seems like it is mostly heatsinking, as the COB itself gets hot at these kind of power levels. So the "bulky" ones have some heatsinking at the end, while the Auxito's rely on the PCB to get heat to the heat sink. Not my personal preference, but it's probably designed to pull the heat properly. Then again, most high beams don't usually get abused as much as lows.

My OE halogen lows were clearly about to die, but the OE highs (after 5 years) looked basically brand new (the actual filament when I upgraded them.)
Oh ok, I just figured that the ones that have the ends that look the ones in the first picture where more/less designed for a better beam pattern and less obstruction of the light output for a highbeam application rather than the ones in the second picture.

Attachments

• 4987153D-B9B0-4DA3-A386-9724D152A911.jpeg
    4987153D-B9B0-4DA3-A386-9724D152A911.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 4
  • C8537DB8-0694-437F-8369-4FA871466329.jpeg
    C8537DB8-0694-437F-8369-4FA871466329.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are the ones the site populated for low beams when I entered the trucks info into the site.

There are some specific to the fogs on the Auxito web site. I used those as mentioned, but the ones they recommended were the wrong size. That's why I would pull a fog bulb and verify before ordering.
So what do you mean when you say those were the wrong size and why you’re advising to pull a fog light bulb just to make sure? I already know that on my truck with the premium projectors, it uses two 9005s in the headlights and the fog lights are a 9006.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

4th gen projector uses a 9012 for low beam projector and a separate 9005 for high beam reflector, not sure what you mean by the same bulb portion. Then a 9006 or 9145 fog light bulb depending on vertical or horizontal.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4th gen projector uses a 9012 for low beam projector and a separate 9005 for high beam reflector, not sure what you mean by the same bulb portion. Then a 9006 or 9145 fog light bulb depending on vertical or horizontal.
That was only on the 1st Gen premium projectors from like 2013 to 2015 because the in the 2016 and up, they switched to a 9005 in both the lowbeams and the highbeams. Not sure whether or not the fogs have always been a 9006.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was only on the 1st Gen premium projectors from like 2013 to 2015 because the in the 2016 and up, they switched to a 9005 in both the lowbeams and the highbeams. Not sure whether or not the fogs have always been a 9006.
Ah gotcha, I have a '15 so that makes sense.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ok, I just figured that the ones that have the ends that look the ones in the first picture where more/less designed for a better beam pattern and less obstruction of the light output for a highbeam application rather than the ones in the second picture.
It's more about what fits into the specific spots in the housing. The dedicated High beam bulb for projectors is rather tight to get to, so you need a more compact bulb. The second bulb in your pic will work. You just may not be able to get it to fit right.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's more about what fits into the specific spots in the housing. The dedicated High beam bulb for projectors is rather tight to get to, so you need a more compact bulb. The second bulb in your pic will work. You just may not be able to get it to fit right.
So basically you’re saying the ones like these with the right-angle bases would be better clearance-wise for my highbeams than the ones like the pair in the third pic, correct?

But focusing on the two in the first two pics- they’re both 12,000 lumen as a pair but the ones in the first pick are higher wattage so what really is the difference between those first two that are 30 watts each to be a little more expensive than the other pair which is the same lumen but 26 watts per bulb? The 30-watt ones don’t really specify what they’re intended for but the 26-watt ones say they’re for forward highbeams.

Attachments

• F9F6A518-84F5-4BC7-8371-6C95A2CF158C.jpeg
    F9F6A518-84F5-4BC7-8371-6C95A2CF158C.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DE1748AF-7409-4394-B102-3B7D7D268334.jpeg
    DE1748AF-7409-4394-B102-3B7D7D268334.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 4B4CE6C0-CF09-4649-BC87-E2944E14C577.jpeg
    4B4CE6C0-CF09-4649-BC87-E2944E14C577.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 3

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So basically you’re saying the ones like these with the right-angle bases would be better clearance-wise for my highbeams than the ones like the pair in the third pic, correct?

But focusing on the two in the first two pics- they’re both 12,000 lumen as a pair but the ones in the first pick are higher wattage so what really is the difference between those first two that are 30 watts each to be a little more expensive than the other pair which is the same lumen but 26 watts per bulb? The 30-watt ones don’t really specify what they’re intended for but the 26-watt ones say they’re for forward highbeams.
Right angle.or not, it all depends on the clearance in the housing. You may not get one with a right angle base to fit since it's longer on one side and it could be hard to get it at the right angle to twist in. Plus, they don't have an adjustable collar. So it may not be possible to get the correct orientation. A side note, an LEDs max brightness is the first minute or 2 it's turned on. After that, it starts to dim slightly, up to 30-35% depending on the bulb and how well it manages heat. The right angle ones are bright as hell (I tested them), but they don't manage heat very well and only retain about 70-75% of their original brightness after they reach thermal equilibrium. The other one, is similar in brightness, has an extremely compact fan and should have zero problem fitting in either spot.
Here's a document a YouTuber has put together while testing various bulbs that includes initial brightness in a projector and reflector housing, as well as the output after 27 minutes (average drive time, and plenty of time for bulbs to heat up). You can make the comparisons against the tons of bulbs he's tested. There are some really good ones, but there are also some that are worst than stock.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I updated the opening post and the thread title to hopefully get a little bit more personalized results being that I no longer care about the new bulbs in question being the typical 5000 to 6000K color temperature and to add more emphasis on some thing that fits really well and is easy to install where the highbeams go.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My high beam S V.4 should be here this week, hoping to have them installed this weekend. Side note, they're on sale this week for $40 off, link

IMO the best all around combo for the factory projector for light output is likely to run HID low beam (whatever flavor you choose, I went with a Morimoto 35W 5000k) with led high beam.

And then I was wanting to do the last piece so I ordered Morimoto projector fog lights with the yellow film kit, so that should be in soon. Morimoto is having a 20% off sale on their website for Black Friday.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d be interested in reading how those play with your auto highbeams being that those are 6500 lumen each but then again, what do you have in your low beam projectors? If whatever you have in your low beam projectors is pretty bright themselves and if your auto high beams don’t work how they’re supposed to then there’s really no way to say that it’s because of your highbeams or because of both your high beams and your lowbeams.

But I’m confused when you say high beam projectors because if you’re using the OE premium projectors, you should only have a projector for your low beam and an open reflector for your high-beam but if you do in fact have these bulbs in your open reflector high beams, how is it they’re not clocked correctly if these bulbs being that they have the right angle connector and that they’re not adjustable, aren’t clocked correctly? So far out of all the bulbs I’ve looked at, all the ones that have the right angle connector like a regular halogen 9005 bulb are the ones that you can’t adjust but the ones that have the cable coming out of them are the ones that have the little allen screws for you to set them however they need to be.
Wanted to follow back up on this, I swapped the DDM leds for S V.4 leds in the high beam reflectors and am not super happy with them, honestly I think the pattern was a bit better with the "wrong" clocked DDM, anyways, I tried the auto high beam on my drive home last night and sections I thought it should be on it didn't do anything, so I'm assuming the Morimoto 35w 5000k high low beam is messing it up. I even reaimed the low beams to where I like the pattern and aim, and still no auto high. I'll try it some more over this week and see what happens.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Wanted to follow back up on this, I swapped the DDM leds for S V.4 leds in the high beam reflectors and am not super happy with them, honestly I think the pattern was a bit better with the "wrong" clocked DDM, anyways, I tried the auto high beam on my drive home last night and sections I thought it should be on it didn't do anything, so I'm assuming the Morimoto 35w 5000k high low beam is messing it up. I even reaimed the low beams to where I like the pattern and aim, and still no auto high. I'll try it some more over this week and see what happens.

Auto high beams will never work properly till that sensor is adjusted for the increase in brightness.

I used Alfa to disable auto high beams for now. I haven't sat down to learn to calibrated that sensor yet.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Auto high beams will never work properly till that sensor is adjusted for the increase in brightness.

I used Alfa to disable auto high beams for now. I haven't sat down to learn to calibrated that sensor yet.
That would be interesting to find a calibration procedure, also you can turn off the auto high beam in the stereo settings pages, you don't necessarily need to use Alfa.