looks like i will need a rebuilding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The lifters are gonna be in the valley. What exhaust went back on there and were the gaskets OEM metal or aftermarket paper?

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The lifters are gonna be in the valley. What exhaust went back on there and were the gaskets OEM metal or aftermarket paper?

Yeah, right below the head. Well, the original gaskets are still on it that came on the used motor. I didn't pull the stock manifolds off since I had forgot to buy the gaskets at first, and figured if i needed to I would just change them on the truck if i needed to do that.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Look for it blowing carbon or some build up on all the area on the manifolds. Im guessing the oil is good and full and has been flushed seeing as its a used motor just for peice of mind. Where did you put the screw driver to see if you could hear it? Exhaust side of the head or more towards the intake runners?

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Look for it blowing carbon or some build up on all the area on the manifolds. Im guessing the oil is good and full and has been flushed seeing as its a used motor just for peice of mind. Where did you put the screw driver to see if you could hear it? Exhaust side of the head or more towards the intake runners?

Ok, I will check on that. Yeah the oil is good and been flushed. I put it more toward the intake runners.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Eh could be a lifter issue. I looked back and saw you bout a junkyard 06 motor did it come with any info far as miles ect?

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Eh could be a lifter issue. I looked back and saw you bout a junkyard 06 motor did it come with any info far as miles ect?

yeah i didn't want to go that route but with the money situation i had to right now. It came out of a wrecked truck and had 98,000 miles on it. I was hoping to have a temporary motor that would at least make it till next summer but not my luck lol

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
and i don't think it is a 06 motor since it doesn't have mds on it, so i could have been lied to about the mileage too.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check the gaskets and have your fingers crossed. Only other thing I can think of that would make a tapping sound would be the valves, which I doubt and the timing chain being loose and your hearing it hitting the adjusters.

Might have been out of a 2500.

Did the pass side head have an EGR port? If so we know its atleast an 04-05 motor if it was out of a 1500. What valve covers did it have?

Last edited:
OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check the gaskets and have your fingers crossed. Only other thing I can think of that would make a tapping sound would be the valves, which I doubt and the timing chain being loose and your hearing it hitting the adjusters.

Might have been out of a 2500.

Did the pass side head have an EGR port? If so we know its atleast an 04-05 motor if it was out of a 1500. What valve covers did it have?

I probably won't be able to mess with it till this weekend, since I have my daughter this week. Yeah I didn't think about the timing chain. Yeah It has a egr port on the passenger head. It had the metal valve covers with the single spark plug coils and a spark plug wire.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
10-4 im gonna be off most of the weekend with a wedding im in and running round.

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
10-4 im gonna be off most of the weekend with a wedding im in and running round.

I gotcha, I am hoping it is something simple. If not I guess I will go ahead and tear it down to see what all is screwed up. How bad is it to pull the drivers side head off in the truck?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its not to bad just gotta fight the brake booster and takes a few. When you pull the intake manifold leave everything hooked up and just undo the main plug behind it and just pull the 10mm bolts out to lift it off.

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I have to pull the brake booster too since it has to be replaced so that should make it easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah will make working around it easier. You can pull the head with the exhaust manifold still on just undo it at the collector and slide it all out together.

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, I decided to listen to the motor again this morning. And I think I have bigger problems, it sounds more like a connecting rod.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Did the yard have any kind of warranty on it?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
No good on that. Do some checking on it when you have time then can make a decesion based on which way to go. I know there is no "donor" 5.7 blocks and rotating asm's at the shop right now for any help for ya on this one.

OP
OP
donaldjp

donaldjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No good on that. Do some checking on it when you have time then can make a decesion based on which way to go. I know there is no "donor" 5.7 blocks and rotating asm's at the shop right now for any help for ya on this one.

Yeah, I wish I would have just waited and got what I wanted, instead of wasting my money on that one, at least it was only $1400 and came with everything from the intake down, front accesories and wiring harness. So, I might be able to sell some stuff to make some money back, hopefully. Ok I appreciate that, I might just wait till around tax time and go ahead and try and scoop up a forged stroker kit, this block should be hopefully good unlike the other one I have at the house that needs to be sleeved.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you go with just a stroker kit down the road make sure its balanced and if its in the budget I would take it to the shop to get balanced and marked. Some of the kits seem to think it is not to important to have them all weighing the same and throw the rotating asm off balance.