Loss of power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just reported my 2019 classic that had a failure in Feb 2022 to nhtsa. I urge anyone that has failures to do the same. There is no excuse for a steering rack to fail electronically in less than 100k miles. In my case, it failed at 42k miles when I hit a pothole. The only damage was the power steering module. No bent rod ends, ball joints, etc. The alignment didn't even get knocked out. Report the issues. Get them looking at every truck with electric power steering. Maybe we can get something for our troubles.

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just reported my 2019 classic that had a failure in Feb 2022 to nhtsa. I urge anyone that has failures to do the same. There is no excuse for a steering rack to fail electronically in less than 100k miles. In my case, it failed at 42k miles when I hit a pothole. The only damage was the power steering module. No bent rod ends, ball joints, etc. The alignment didn't even get knocked out. Report the issues. Get them looking at every truck with electric power steering. Maybe we can get something for our troubles.
Mine went out at like 55k. I'm not sure if it was from aggressively driving on a dirt road (roommate) or there was a super bad weather day of snow and lots of salt/stuff but it kicked off right after.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine went out at like 55k. I'm not sure if it was from aggressively driving on a dirt road (roommate) or there was a super bad weather day of snow and lots of salt/stuff but it kicked off right after.
Honestly, shouldn't matter. The module should be sealed better and/or moved to a better location. I can see having a failure if you hit something hard enough to actually break a physical component, but spirited driving or driving in snow or salty road conditions shouldn't cause a failure.

KissMyHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
yep, My 2013 Ram Power steering just went out in the middle of the Ozarks on my way home. Has anyone had theirs replaced, and how much should I expect to pay?

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep, My 2013 Ram Power steering just went out in the middle of the Ozarks on my way home. Has anyone had theirs replaced, and how much should I expect to pay?
If it’s the Electric Power Steering rack, a new one is going to run $2k if you can find one. Used ones $800-$1300 depending on where you are. Wouldn’t recommend going used though.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

They're not cheap. The latest word from a couple other forum members is they were told (by the dealer) ...March. But fairly simple to actually replace. Once Stellantis settles with the strike, who knows. Hopefully they'll be able to accelerate deliveries. (????)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, with the original post. Anyone who's ever had p/s go out on the road or tried to muscle a vehicle through traffic w/o p/s (which was designed for it), knows it's definitely a hazard, and could lead to a potential wreck.

Leveil22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new rack I was able to get works on models from 2013-2022, so could be the same one they have on the new classics or the new ram models depending if it fits.
I wonder if I can get a 20-22 wrecked unit

perryma98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sems that ALL sources for a replacement EPS are out of stock, but you can buy a new one from Mopar for $2,800 (No thanks). My EPS refuses to work when the ambient temperature drops to around 40 deg F. I checked the fuse, battery, and connectors and they were all good. I took the EPS out and opened the cover to look at the circuit board, and the thing looks like it is brand new. You have to de-solder the motor wires from the board to be able to take the board out, which I wasn't ready to do at the time, but all of the solder joints on the top of the board looked good. Either there is a bad solder joint on the bottom of the board or the board itself is flexing during temp changes and has caused an internal trace to crack and open.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It sems that ALL sources for a replacement EPS are out of stock, but you can buy a new one from Mopar for $2,800 (No thanks). My EPS refuses to work when the ambient temperature drops to around 40 deg F. I checked the fuse, battery, and connectors and they were all good. I took the EPS out and opened the cover to look at the circuit board, and the thing looks like it is brand new. You have to de-solder the motor wires from the board to be able to take the board out, which I wasn't ready to do at the time, but all of the solder joints on the top of the board looked good. Either there is a bad solder joint on the bottom of the board or the board itself is flexing during temp changes and has caused an internal trace to crack and open.
Did you check the drive belt that's also inside the rack?

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting my EPS replaced at the dealer right now (thank you Carmax extended warranty). Looks like it’s going to take a couple weeks for the dealer to get the EPS unit.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on my power steering issue. Took it to my local RAM dealer. The electric power steering rack was definitely bad.

The new rack resolved most of the issue but the steering still felt notchy and stiff. There were random points of resistance throughout the steering travel, it alternated heavy to light to heavy steering as you turned the wheel. The resistance and notchiness was due to torn and blown out Zone tie rid ends and failing steering intermediate shaft u-joints.

Got all of that stuff replaced under the Maxcare warranty. I believe it would have been a $3500+ repair without the warranty.

Side note, got my exhaust manifolds, studs, hardware, and gaskets replaced too. As of recently, Mopar has a new kit that includes manifolds and hardware to resolve the broken stud issue. Maxcare covered the kit as well.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Update on my power steering issue. Took it to my local RAM dealer. The electric power steering rack was definitely bad.

The new rack resolved most of the issue but the steering still felt notchy and stiff. There were random points of resistance throughout the steering travel, it alternated heavy to light to heavy steering as you turned the wheel. The resistance and notchiness was due to torn and blown out Zone tie rid ends and failing steering intermediate shaft u-joints.

Got all of that stuff replaced under the Maxcare warranty. I believe it would have been a $3500+ repair without the warranty.

Side note, got my exhaust manifolds, studs, hardware, and gaskets replaced too. As of recently, Mopar has a new kit that includes manifolds and hardware to resolve the broken stud issue. Maxcare covered the kit as well.

Thanks for update..

So the manifold kit. These are new manifolds? Won't they have the same problem later on?

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for update..

So the manifold kit. These are new manifolds? Won't they have the same problem later on?
From what the dealer said, it’s a new “kit” that includes manifolds with updated hardware. I believe the manifolds are the same, part numbers for the manifolds were: 68591585aa, 68591586aa.

Apparently since they’ve done manifold and stud replacements with the new hardware, they haven’t seen any trucks come back in with the same issue.