RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe gears would of been better when it was new and you'd get all the miles out of them. Also theres a break in period so idk if you can spare a few days while they install it, you do the break in and then change diff fluid

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Going with lower gearing might help if you did bunch of starting/stopping, but with the miles you rack up, that truck is always moving. The only re-gearing that would probably make sense for you would be an 8spd transmission. Maybe by the time you're in the situation for a new truck, Ram will have the 8apd behind the Cummins. You definitely rack up the miles and pull a big enough load to justify a diesel.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
^ agreed. I would think that at highway speeds lower gears will actually hurt you. I believe that you would get better mileage in town (start/stop) with lower gears as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get it moving. But at highway speeds that isn't a concern

OP
OP
Pktatum95

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For OP, I can’t offer MPG advice but I salute you for working hard and providing for your family. You’re a good man!
Preciate it man. Imma pipeline welder by trade, from 2017 to 2020, the first 3 years of its life it was my rig truck. But as I mentioned, that field is terrible right now. Had to figure out a way to make it work and put that dually to work. This is what she used to look like. Before this I ran a 7.3 as a rig truck. Over 350k on that 7.3 when I sold it to buy this one. But as a rig truck, I went with a gasser for cost and emissions. Never planned on hotshottin or bein in transportation. A gasser dually works fine for a rig u know. Got 4-6k lbs on the back of it and go to work. But now she serving a differenr purpose and just tryna maximize it u know. I figured I’d get destroyed by “get a diesel idiot” but all y’all been cool as shit I Preciate that man.

Attachments

• 7D48F0C6-DC5A-46C4-8113-97205E6FF11E.png
    7D48F0C6-DC5A-46C4-8113-97205E6FF11E.png
    307 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Pktatum95

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Btw a side note to everybody, I read on other forums that 4.10 rearend 6.4 hemi are hard to find on the lot. I got this one at a dodge dealer in cuyhago falls Ohio. They had 2 identical trucks sittin there. Mine, and another red dually identical to mine. Twins. One had carpet and 3.73s, the other one had 4.10 and vinyl seats/floors. Imma workin man, so I said shit I get the vinyl on vinyl plus a 4.10 rearend? Don’t even show me the other one sign me up lol.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Preciate it man. Imma pipeline welder by trade, from 2017 to 2020, the first 3 years of its life it was my rig truck. But as I mentioned, that field is terrible right now. Had to figure out a way to make it work and put that dually to work. This is what she used to look like. Before this I ran a 7.3 as a rig truck. Over 350k on that 7.3 when I sold it to buy this one. But as a rig truck, I went with a gasser for cost and emissions. Never planned on hotshottin or bein in transportation. A gasser dually works fine for a rig u know. Got 4-6k lbs on the back of it and go to work. But now she serving a differenr purpose and just tryna maximize it u know. I figured I’d get destroyed by “get a diesel idiot” but all y’all been cool as shit I Preciate that man.
Again, you are doing what you need to do and that looks like a hard working truck. I have a ‘21 2500 Hemi that I pull a 5th wheel with and love it. Like most of us on here it’s a pretty truck that we use to do fun stuff with. Yours puts food on the table and I admire that. Be blessed and be safe.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's pretty much guaranteed that any state that gets snow in the winter and can have average temperatures in the 40s or less will most likely have winter blend. It's probably more of a question when they get it vs if they get winter blend. Some states probably already have it, others may just be getting it.
I always know when the winter blend is here in Ohio because my truck drops at least 1.5 mpg. I live just north of Cincinnati and I’ve noticed the last 2 fill ups I’m getting just over 10 mpg when I usually get around 12. Perfect timing with it jumping up to 3.35 gal.

OP
OP
Pktatum95

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I always know when the winter blend is here in Ohio because my truck drops at least 1.5 mpg. I live just north of Cincinnati and I’ve noticed the last 2 fill ups I’m getting just over 10 mpg when I usually get around 12. Perfect timing with it jumping up to 3.35 gal.
Ahh I gotcha. Then it’s prolly round my way too. I live in the Ohio river. From my front porch ur straring at WV lol. Well I’ll keep that in mind over the next couple months when running numbers and not get too discouraged to see it drop a little.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Reduce your wind drag as much as possible. At lower speeds, rolling resistance is you biggest consumer of horsepower. At highway speeds, it is wind drag and it uses significantly more the faster your go. While not having a bed may make you lighter, it is likely creating more wind drag since the air is pushing flat spots instead of curves. Lowering the truck a little will help. So will putting plates under the truck to make air flow smoothly below it without hitting any flat spots. If your truck is always hooks up to the same trailer, then you can modify your trailer to eliminate as many flat spots and gaps as possible.

Here is a good report to read that may help your cause. It is mainly for semi trucks, but it still applies to your situation.

Cummins-Secrets to Better Fuel Economy