Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regearing costs money and I doubt it would produce much additional mileage. At this point I'd keep driving as you are and try to get a diesel when finances permit or the current truck needs major work. Other than that try to drive on downhill roads and not uphill ones.

ZookaTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just as an example of how much difference wind drag makes, I have been shuttling back and forth from western Wyoming to central Texas for a year or so, 6 trips now? Towing a 16 foot long 7 feet high cargo trailer with a sort of pointed front. I'm sure you are familiar with I-80 across Wyoming, we would be on it from Laramie to just before Utah. Last trip there was a 30 to 40 MPH headwind from Laramie, I got 7 to 8 mpg on that stretch. Turned north and the wind shifted a bit, to behind me, and I got 16 mpg. Same speed, just no headwind.

W5RCD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and pull a 8200# travel trailer. The first time I pulled it, I was very disappointed in the MPA. I installed a 4" cat back AFE exhaust :
And a S&B Cold Air Intake: https://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/sb-cold-air-intake.
My MPG jumped about the 1-1.5 you are looking for. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep up the good work. How is the lighter oil working out for you???

OP
OP
Pktatum95

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and pull a 8200# travel trailer. The first time I pulled it, I was very disappointed in the MPA. I installed a 4" cat back AFE exhaust :
And a S&B Cold Air Intake: https://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/sb-cold-air-intake.
My MPG jumped about the 1-1.5 you are looking for. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep up the good work. How is the lighter oil working out for you???
Imma look into that brother. Thanks for that!

The lighter oil is doing great. I’ll have to get on my laptop to upload a oil report from the redline 5-30, but last time I changed my oil my redline shipment got delayed in the mail and I had to head out to Nevada, so I used PUP 5-30 in place of redline 5-30 and I have that report on my phone, as I received it yesterday.
Here it is-

The redline usually produces a little better results. I just switched to using Blackstone for reports. I’ll upload one of my older ones from redline when I get home.

Attachments

• 241-211025.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Pktatum95

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Imma look into that brother. Thanks for that!

The lighter oil is doing great. I’ll have to get on my laptop to upload a oil report from the redline 5-30, but last time I changed my oil my redline shipment got delayed in the mail and I had to head out to Nevada, so I used PUP 5-30 in place of redline 5-30 and I have that report on my phone, as I received it yesterday.
Here it is-

The redline usually produces a little better results. I just switched to using Blackstone for reports. I’ll upload one of my older ones from redline when I get home.
That was 6,500 miles of obviously straight highway towing. I ran from Cleveland, out to Las Vegas, across I-70 and went thru Denver and the “gauntlet” on 70 there where the Eisenhower tunnel is lol. But that was out to Vegas, San Diego, LA, and the return back across 70 to wisconsin, Illinois, and last delivery made in Pa and then back home. 6,500 miles. I grossed 18k lbs headed out there, 25k lbs comin back. Oil temps stayin between 200-220 usually, topped out round 251-252 on the gauntlet. I like the 5-30 myself. As I said I prefer redline, but had to get on the road so just substituted PUP waitin on my redline since it was stuck in Pittsburgh at a shipping facility.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
EPA allows higher Reid Vapor Pressure gas in winter, I believe across entire USA. That is gas that has less energy density. Not sure if you could / can store summer gas long enough to use year round, but it would increase your mileage in winter.

Already talked about 89 octane gas above, so I won't belabor again here except to say I use it year round (haven't run mpg numbers for 89 vs. 87).

The final thing is oxygenated gas - if you can use nonoxy gas where you are, do so. There is significant mileage reduction with oxygenated gas. My state mandates it. I don't think Feds mandate, but they allow up to 10% ethanal blends. Corn processors were lobbying for up to 15%, so far that has not been legislated.

You'd have to run the mpg numbers yourself on oxy vs. nonoxy gas to see if you save any money, or if the ethanol blenders have priced their oxygenated gas at the same $$ per mpg as nonoxy gas.

Too many entities playing too many games to get money from us!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with what’s been said, very unlikely to save enough money on fuel to pay for the gears. If it saves you anything at all.

With one caveat. IF you are experiencing a lot of gear changes, and a gear change enables you to cut way back on that, you might see 1/2 to 1 mpg at best. Based on my experience towing heavy all over the country. Gear shifts cause the transmission clutches to lock and unlock, engine pulls power to shift; none of that is good for economy.

When I’m driving for economy I may let the speed vary considerably just to stay locked up in one gear.

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2016 reg cab 6.4 4x4 with 4:10's. I don't tow/haul as much weight as you but when towing my TT with atv in bed, etc. I find the sweet spot for mpgs is 58mph and I don't run tow haul mode on the tranny. All that does is keep it in lower gear for longer. If I run 65 mpgs drop 1.5 or more. On flat or downhill or with a tailwind it will shift into 6th overdrive and since TowHaul mode is not on it will run on 4 cylinders. I know time is money when your'e working, but you solution might be the simplest one. Slow down, run without TowHaul mode when you can, let the tranny get into 6th on flats when it can.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Op,

I respect what you're doing, hard work and providing for your family is important. My suggestions, take an inch or more out of front if possible and consider sometype of a roof mounted spoiler that creates more aero dynamics over the back of the trailer.

I'm no expert but seems the big rigs are low to the ground and have a device that pushes air over the trailer.

This could or could not be beneficial

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have not read all the posts but if nobody mentioned it put a big air dam under the front bumper. Have you seen the size of the air dams on the Ford SD? On a PW the air dam makes a bit of difference. Not enough for an average guy running around but for someone putting as many miles on as the OP every little bit helps.