MDS Delete SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Jesus you are stubborn aren't you. In what world doesn't cutting oil flow to the lifters on a Hemi hurt the lifters,they're already marginally oiled as it is,and you think cutting oil to them doesn't hurt them.I'm guessing you've never taken an engine apart and seen how the lifter bores can scuff from lack of oil. Come on man,give your head a shake,and actually think before you post.
I'm really starting to think,you like to argue,just to hear yourself argue,as you certainly aren't making any sense,and it seems to be getting worse ;)
This is an easy argument to solve if you posses the facts. Please show me the number of engine failures vs the number of engines in production for
1) Factory engines without MDS
2) Factory engines with MDS functioning normally
3) Factory engines with MDS disabled

I mean that's the issue right?

If (1) and (2) show 1% failure and (3) shows 10% failure then by all means don't just disable via software. But you have no data to support your claims. Let's try to keep personal ideas separate from facts.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I don't think you can bump the idle rpm with AlfaOBD,but i'll be the first to say,i'm not all the familiar with everything Alpha can do.Usually it takes a tune to bump up the idle rpm,but if there's another way to do it with AlphaOBD or Jscan,i'm sure somebody will correct me
Seems I'm always having to correct you... but in this case you are right. Setting the idle speed is outside of what Alfa can do. :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is an easy argument to solve if you posses the facts. Please show me the number of engine failures vs the number of engines in production for

If (1) and (2) show 1% failure and (3) shows 10% failure then by all means don't just disable via software. But you have no data to support your claims. Let's try to keep personal ideas separate from facts.
LMAO,now you're really getting ridiculous,have you ever seen Ma Mopar post or publish the amount of lifter failures across either mds or non-mds engines. You ask some of the stupidest questions i've seen lately.
When you find these facts,post them up for all of us to see,little tidbit,i think you're going to be digging for along time to find these facts,but good luck on your quest.
What's your next stupid question,i await with bated breath ;)

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
LMAO,now you're really getting ridiculous,have you ever seen Ma Mopar post or publish the amount of lifter failures across either mds or non-mds engines. You ask some of the stupidest questions i've seen lately.
When you find these facts,post them up for all of us to see,little tidbit,i think you're going to be digging for along time to find these facts,but good luck on your quest.
What's your next stupid question,i await with bated breath ;)
You are the one that says what I did was wrong. I'm simply asking for the evidence...

Now that I ask for evidence you resort to name calling. Seems like you are the one without a leg to stand on. If you know that what I did was wrong you should have no issue showing me the numbers.

Finding a few people here or there that post issues they have had does not mean there is an issue. There are literally hundreds of thousands of hemi engines out there. Do you know that 1% of 500,000 is 5,000?

Is this sinking in? The 100 people that have had lifter issues make up less than 0.1% of the engines made. Hardly a manufacter problem.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
About time the mods shut this thread down,Mike or Phil can you guys close out this thread,it's getting pretty stupid now,with un-answerable questions

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
About time the mods shut this thread down,Mike or Phil can you guys close out this thread,it's getting pretty stupid now,with un-answerable questions
Now it's unanswerable on how to properly disable MDS. Cool. Guess the secret will die with this thread.

Please in the future stop reporting personal belief as fact.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You are the one that says what I did was wrong. I'm simply asking for the evidence...

Now that I ask for evidence you resort to name calling. Seems like you are the one without a leg to stand on. If you know that what I did was wrong you should have no issue showing me the numbers.
I'm not the one who instigated the name calling,remember the Charlie Brown name you called me.I also didn't call you a name,i stated a fact,about a stupid question asked by you,lol
Like i told you,once you find the facts you're looking for post them up,but i think you'll find they're virtually impossible facts to find,as Ma Mopar doesn't release that kind of info,but good luck to you if you find them.
Asking an un-answerable question,isn't really a question is it,especially when you know it's not answerable

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Now it's unanswerable on how to properly disable MDS. Cool. Guess the secret will die with this thread.

Please in the future stop reporting personal belief as fact.
You didn't ask how to properly delete mds,that one is answerable,but the question you did ask isn't answerable,lol.
Good luck on finding anybody who can answer the un-answerable question you did ask.
I haven't had this much fun in awhile,as you're not getting any smarter are you :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I'm not the one who instigated the name calling,remember the Charlie Brown name you called me.
Like i told you,once you find the facts you're looking for post them up,but i think you'll find they're virtually impossible facts to find,as Ma Mopar doesn't release that kind of info,but good luck to you if you find them.
Asking an un-answerable question,isn't really a question is it,especially when you know it's not answerable
You are the one saying running with MDS disabled in an engine designed for MDS is bad. I'm simply asking for the proof of that. Been doing that since post #9. You cannot provide it since it doesn't exist, yet maintain your stance. As I have said all along... just looking for the facts.

The fact is this engine was designed to run with MDS disabled (in selectable mode from the driver). So a disable via software is A OK in my book unless I can see real numbers to support your side. A few folks that have disassembled a few engines is not nearly enough evidence to be statistically relevant in any decision making. I can't see how this isn't something you can understand. I guess that's an issue of the internet age.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
If I'm needing or wanting to disengage MDS, I select the +/- button on the steering wheel, select 8 and just roll. Yep, gotta do that all over again if the engine is shut off/shifting from drive to park or reverse.

I had the Pulsar Inline Performance Module that piggy backed on the PCM. I took it off as it wast doing anything more that what I could already do manually. Pulsar claims 30 more ponies/30 ft-torq ... couldn't tell it did, as my truck ran the same as stock ... I did notice that in performance/tow modes that the go fast peddle reacted was more responsive, so other than that, I took it off and it sits in my front room closet in the original box that it came in collecting dust.

Imo, with my stock set up, if I add the Peddle Commander or something equivalent, it would the same thing as the Pulsar ... all I got with the Pulsar is eight pre canned tunes with the ability to add the tire size and set the desired driving need(s) selecting them on the steering wheel +/- button. Sure, shut the truck down and jump back in it, the selected desired driving mode is where I set it ... still, I wasn't much impressed with it.

However, other folks think that the Pulsar is better than when sliced bread came into existence. To each their own, that's why there's Ferd and Chebvy

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You are the one saying running with MDS disabled in an engine designed for MDS is bad. I'm simply asking for the proof of that. Been doing that since post #9. You cannot provide it since it doesn't exist, yet maintain your stance. As I have said all along... just looking for the facts.

The fact is this engine was designed to run with MDS disabled (in selectable mode from the driver). So a disable via software is A OK in my book unless I can see real numbers to support your side. A few folks that have disassembled a few engines is not nearly enough evidence to be statistically relevant in any decision making. I can't see how this isn't something you can understand. I guess that's an issue of the internet age.
I gave you proof,all you have to do is watch the 2 video links i've posted a couple times now.But you're to stubborn to watch them.The guy posting the video's has been a Chryco tech for several years,and isn't the unknown video sensation you seem to think he is.He's probably been into more Hemi's then most,and has figured out some of their downfalls,one of them being how the mds system affects lifter oiling.I dare you to watch them,and come back here with the same theories you're hung up on now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Guys i think i'm out now,as i'm really getting tired of beating my head against a brick wall trying to get this guy to at least watch a couple video's,that might change his mind.
Maybe one of you guys can convince him to spend the time it takes to watch the videos,as i'm not having any luck with him :rolleyes:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

This is impossible for all HEMI engines known and made. There isn't any way to know the real numbers, because there are a lot of engines that will never be known due to not being cataloged where they are or where they went.

The HEMI isn't just ran in the US, they are everywhere. Who knows how many are already left to rot in other countries or have been trashed from accidents, etc.

All that can be said is that the HEMI has been known for many trouble free miles and then on the other hand, cam/lifters failures are likely.

Brapasorus Rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a believer in deleting the mds when you do a cam,just not a believer in turning it off in a tune on a stock truck.But if you're inside the engine replacing a cam and lifters,then by all means pull the solenoids out and replace them with the plugs and use a non-mds cam and lifter set-up,and crank the idle rpm up
This guy knows nothing...

Brapasorus Rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys i think i'm out now,as i'm really getting tired of beating my head against a brick wall trying to get this guy to at least watch a couple video's,that might change his mind.
Maybe one of you guys can convince him to spend the time it takes to watch the videos,as i'm not having any luck with him :rolleyes:
Oh gosh yes, please leave this thread and go get a job!!!!!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, fellers, I'm going to buzz over to the synthetic oil thread and catch up on the latest synthetic chainsaw oils/chainsaws/axes, etc. I don't know anything about all of those things, but it's fun to read.

Happy motoring and keep on hammering down the highways and byways.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Great thread, somehow I missed it yesterday but don't worry I caught up!

I have to confess to contributing to the myth on how pulsar disables MDS. I thought it did the blip thing too, but no they definitely do use the +/- trick.

As to how safe it is: I'm not going to speak with authority because I don't know. However my belief is that it's safe to run with MDS hardware on the motor but deactivated using pulsar/tow haul/gear limiter. My reasoning is based on two things, first, my truck has reached 100,000 Kms in almost 5 years of ownership with MDS deactivated for about 99,000 kms. I do let it click on/off once a week for a cycle or two just to keep all that hardware "working", but 99% of its life my engine has run in 8 cylinder mode. Secondly, since the engineers disable it themselves when it's towing, I think that's a sign that the system isn't required for proper lube and cooling.

Wild One, as for shutting down oil to the lifters, I hear you on what you're saying there, but my understanding is that this particular oil path is only used to enable/disable the physical MDS lifters, it's not mean to provide typical oiling functions such as lube and cooling. There is a separate oiling path for that.

Am I wrong? It's happened before! But I'll deal with lifter failures if/when they arise. I don't believe it's terribly easy on the engine to crank up 4 cylinders to WOT and lug it at low rpms either. So what's worse for an engine?

Long live the hemi! May she give us all peace on earth and heart palpitations to the greenies.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
This is impossible for all HEMI engines known and made. There isn't any way to know the real numbers, because there are a lot of engines that will never be known due to not being cataloged where they are or where they went.

The HEMI isn't just ran in the US, they are everywhere. Who knows how many are already left to rot in other countries or have been trashed from accidents, etc.

All that can be said is that the HEMI has been known for many trouble free miles and then on the other hand, cam/lifters failures are likely.
Sure, but my point is hearing from some random person that has seen 5 engines go bad is not statistically relevant information! If you knew of 1000 engines that failed that too is not statistically relevant compared to the number of engines that are running in the world. We are talking about numbers of less than 1% (likely waaaay less than that even)

You're busy trying to associate deleting MDS in software as the cause of an issue that for all practical purposes isn't a problem.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Great thread, somehow I missed it yesterday but don't worry I caught up!

I have to confess to contributing to the myth on how pulsar disables MDS. I thought it did the blip thing too, but no they definitely do use the +/- trick.

As to how safe it is: I'm not going to speak with authority because I don't know. However my belief is that it's safe to run with MDS hardware on the motor but deactivated using pulsar/tow haul/gear limiter. My reasoning is based on two things, first, my truck has reached 100,000 Kms in almost 5 years of ownership with MDS deactivated for about 99,000 kms. I do let it click on/off once a week for a cycle or two just to keep all that hardware "working", but 99% of its life my engine has run in 8 cylinder mode. Secondly, since the engineers disable it themselves when it's towing, I think that's a sign that the system isn't required for proper lube and cooling.

Wild One, as for shutting down oil to the lifters, I hear you on what you're saying there, but my understanding is that this particular oil path is only used to enable/disable the physical MDS lifters, it's not mean to provide typical oiling functions such as lube and cooling. There is a separate oiling path for that.

Am I wrong? It's happened before! But I'll deal with lifter failures if/when they arise. I don't believe it's terribly easy on the engine to crank up 4 cylinders to WOT and lug it at low rpms either. So what's worse for an engine?

Long live the hemi! May she give us all peace on earth and heart palpitations to the greenies.
Maybe it was an older version that did the blip, I remember people saying that you could hear it in the exhaust... but I'll admit I never had one or physically rode in a vehicle with it so I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517