Mobil 1? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not Mobil1? For me it’s simply because it doesn’t meet Mopar spec.

Will Mobil1 cause problems in your engine? Highly unlikely if you change it on time.

Can FCA deny a engine warranty claim if you don’t use oil that meets specs?
It’s not a chance I’m going to take for the small amount of money between Mobil1 and Amsoil which meets spec.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Dude. I spelled it right in my post. **** people spell Cummins wrong all the time...

Guess I will be more proper a be sure to drink my Ovaltine

I work for the railroad...we deal with angle ***** cutout *****...
Cutout *****? So you worked with Bruce Jenner?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Lol. How dare someone misspell the name of the mighty Mobil Oil Corporation. 50 years a registered trademark? In that case everyone on this planet should spell it correctly every time.

Who gives a **** how it’s spelled.
Well Scots29, some people actually care about spelling, and put a bit of effort into things, not halfass things.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well Scots29, some people actually care about spelling, and put a bit of effort into things, not halfass things.

More like some people just like to point out other’s mistakes and be grammar and spelling police. It’s an Internet forum bud. Not your resume or a legal brief.

OP
OP
R

Robert fletcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/chrysler-screwed-me.176029/

You are free to put whatever in your truck. No one is stopping you. Like stated above E spec Mobil 1 only. Everything else does not meet spec. Castrol 0w40 for the 6.4 doesn't meet Chrysler specs, but for the 5.7 it does.
So basically you have to run pennzoil platinum 0w)40? I'll just have to have the ford shop get that for me....(we don't have a local ram dealer so I use the old one forever that turned into ford only)

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll add my "****-head" comment here...

"The MOTOR gained 15 hp"...

My PW has an ENGINE... any other truck without one surely has an very long extension cord or a huge battery bank. The "motor" description has been a pet-peeve since I got called out for saying it during an A&P (airframe & powerplant) training class back in the early 80's when I was more ignorant than today!
Sorry guys, I had to say it.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
So basically you have to run pennzoil platinum 0w)40? I'll just have to have the ford shop get that for me....(we don't have a local ram dealer so I use the old one forever that turned into ford only)
I won't put penzoil in anything, i won't let that junk near my vehicle. Couldn't wait to do first oil change to get the factory fill junk out. I've had a bad history with penzoil in cold weather.

I do find it funny however, the tiny dealer I bought my ram from is the smallest dealer in canada, yet they sell more rams than any other dealer in canada. 2 service bays with 2 big bulk oil tanks full of mobil 1, 0w20 & 5w30. Didn't see any sign of penzoil there anywhere. Would never have noticed if the bulk truck didn't show up while i was waiting to pick up my new truck.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I stick with PUP (or MOPAR). Not giving the boneheads a reason to void or cancel lifetime warranty. At last oil change though, the dealer asked if I wanted to stick with PUP. Curious.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll add my "****-head" comment here...

"The MOTOR gained 15 hp"...

My PW has an ENGINE... any other truck without one surely has an very long extension cord or a huge battery bank. The "motor" description has been a pet-peeve since I got called out for saying it during an A&P (airframe & powerplant) training class back in the early 80's when I was more ignorant than today!
Sorry guys, I had to say it.
Just because your instructors were wrong 40 years ago no reason to keep clinging to it lol..
https://jalopnik.com/you-can-totally-call-an-engine-a-motor-1818860405

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I had a Service Manager at my local Ram Dealership back in 2017 whom tried to convince me to have my oil changed with their bulk 5W-30 in my 6.4L. He stated that it would not void my warranty. No thanks. I use the oil (Pennzoil 0W-40) which meets the Chrysler specifications. It's not going to be found within the lubricants at Home Depot.

e3d87b37f79cf4940b41f5db2331093c--hardware-stores--shades-of-grey.jpg

dingo5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, take anything a dealer tells you about your warranty with a grain of salt. The warranty is from FCA and if there is a dispute, FCA ultimately decides what is or is not covered. Second, in the U.S., the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gives consumers the right to put any product they want into or onto their vehicle and the burden is on the OEM to prove the product cause the damage. What this means is you can put any brand of oil into your engine, even if it does not meet all the OEM specs, and it does not automatically void your warranty. Using Mobil, Amsoil or another premium brand oil is not going to damage your engine. Use the brand you're comfortable with. Mobil and Amsoil is all I run in my engines.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-0w-40-synthetic-motor-oil-azf/#pills-home_0

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
First, take anything a dealer tells you about your warranty with a grain of salt. The warranty is from FCA and if there is a dispute, FCA ultimately decides what is or is not covered. Second, in the U.S., the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act gives consumers the right to put any product they want into or onto their vehicle and the burden is on the OEM to prove the product cause the damage. What this means is you can put any brand of oil into your engine, even if it does not meet all the OEM specs, and it does not automatically void your warranty. Using Mobil, Amsoil or another premium brand oil is not going to damage your engine. Use the brand you're comfortable with. Mobil and Amsoil is all I run in my engines.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-0w-40-synthetic-motor-oil-azf/#pills-home_0

What he said ^^^.

Amsoil is my favorite too. Unless it's free, it's Amsoil for me!!! (free changes from the dealer that is).

:cheers:

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Keep in mind that vehicle manufacturers don't switch oil brands because of oil specs, it's because of the all-mighty dollar. If Pennzoil gives their dealerships a better deal on the bulk oil, that's who they're going to say to use.

o_O

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Keep in mind that vehicle manufacturers don't switch oil brands because of oil specs, it's because of the all-mighty dollar. If Pennzoil gives their dealerships a better deal on the bulk oil, that's who they're going to say to use.

o_O

Fiat is in bed with Royal Dutch Shell. Ever notice how Chrysler was recommending Mobil 1 before they went bankrupt, then all of a sudden it was Pennzoil as soon as Fiat bought them?

Having said this, I also note that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a higher quality Group III synthetic engine oil than Mobil 1 by many measures documented on this site and on BITOG.

There is nothing special about the 6.4L Hemi in the trucks from the 5.7 in the trucks except for load capacity. As far as I know, the oil pumps and oil flow path are no different, and flow resistance is the same. 0W-40 is not needed unless one intends to race with the engine - which is when the 0W-40 recommendation first came out.

5W-30 is fine and in fact better because it has much less VII additive in it to shear down and create deposits. That goes for both the 5.7 and the 6.4 Hemis in the trucks.

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you guys doing oil change at 3k miles or does this oil last longer? I have a new 2021. Don’t mind changing it early and often but I don’t want to be wasteful either

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Are you guys doing oil change at 3k miles or does this oil last longer? I have a new 2021. Don’t mind changing it early and often but I don’t want to be wasteful either

No need for 3K oil changes these days with the use of synthetic oil. Maybe 5K if you tow heavy or drive in dusty/dirty conditions. Otherwise, do what your owner's manual says.

:cheers: