Mopar Kicker Upgrade vs Other 6x9 & 3.5 Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking to replace the 6 speakers in my 2014 Laramie with the 8.4" non Alpine system. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers but the cost on those is currently $300 for all 6 speakers and I'm wondering how that system would compare to going with 4 of the Kicker 43DSC69204 ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC6904/Kicker-43DSC69304.html?tp=91 ) for the doors and 3.5's in the dash.

Is there any info on the Mopar kit vs a non Mopar kit upgrade?

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have the mopar kit in my truck. i love it, plug and play, no splicing and sounds great without adding a sub.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there any info on the Mopar kit vs a non Mopar kit upgrade?
The original factory 3.5" dash speakers and the ones in the 77KICK28ab are actually a tweeter as they have a crossover on them. If you put a full range 3.5" speaker, you'll probably need to use a 4 ohm resistor in line with them as you may find them overwhelming.
I'll second going with the Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers, they make a huge difference and sound good.
The Mopar Kicker dash "tweeter"
IMG_20211017_173232447.jpg

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The original factory 3.5" dash speakers and the ones in the 77KICK28ab are actually a tweeter as they have a crossover on them. If you put a full range 3.5" speaker, you'll probably need to use a 4 ohm resistor in line with them as you may find them overwhelming.
I'll second going with the Mopar Kicker upgrade speakers, they make a huge difference and sound good.
The Mopar Kicker dash "tweeter"
View attachment 474315

Thanks for the info. My concern was actually that the tweeter wouldn't provide "enough" when compared to a 3.5". It seems most people are happy with the sound. I'll likely be going with the mopar kit as i'd prefer to avoid adding in resistors (i believe it's relatively simple, but I've never done it before).

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i coundnt remember what the front kicker kit was, the output of the tweeters and the 6x9s are next level sound from stock. i get the solid lows that feel and sounds like i've got a sub in the truck without actually having a sub. the rear door speaker kit has a tweeter built into it.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i coundnt remember what the front kicker kit was, the output of the tweeters and the 6x9s are next level sound from stock. i get the solid lows that feel and sounds like i've got a sub in the truck without actually having a sub. the rear door speaker kit has a tweeter built into it.
Sounds like a winner to me. The stock system isn't awful when compared to other stock vehicles I've owned in the past, but I would certainly welcome something a little cleaner across the lows, mids, and highs.

speedkills66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic Warlock
Engine
I would go with the Mopar set vs any other speakers.
I've used other speakers and I've used Mopar and the Mopar Kickers undoubtedly sound better in the system like you have.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a winner to me. The stock system isn't awful when compared to other stock vehicles I've owned in the past, but I would certainly welcome something a little cleaner across the lows, mids, and highs.
the mopar kickers will give you all that

Yogee2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
does anyone know the exact Mopar part number for the kicker upgrade for my 2016 ram 1500 thanks

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kenwood excelon

KFC-XP6902C​

components kill the kicker speakers, esp if bi-amped with the Kicker Key 200.4.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The kicker dash speakers were way to bright for me bouncing off the windshield. I went with focal components and skar amp

George N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I feel that Kickers suck. Their subwoofers are just ok, but their 6x9s and 3.5s are no where near as good as some other similarly priced brands and models. I happen to love JBL who is owned by Karman, which is owned by Harman-Kardon which is owned by Samsung! The amp in your vehicle is a Harman.

I have a 2013 1500 Sport with the 8 inch screen, no Alpine. I used to have a 2012 SLT. Both trucks had those ****** Mopar Mexico paper speakers all around. I upgraded to the JBL Studio in my 2013. The sound is amazing even with the stock Harman internal amp. One of the reasons why is the JBLs are 3 ohm speakers and the system is 4 ohm, so they are louder. They are cleaner sounding than the mushy Kickers. And especially the 3.5 dash speakers. They now produce trebble and mids, like voice, beautifully. There is no "kit", just go to Amazon and buy 4 JBL 6x9s and 2 3.5" speakers and put them in yourself. It is plug and play with the two dollar Mopar adapters.

And yes there's more! I sold the factory 6x9s on ebay for $20 each. That $80 paid for one set of speakers!

I know how bad the 6x9 Kickers are because I put them in my 2010 Challenger R/T. I installed two Infinity 3.5s in the dash. The Kickers are 4 ohm and as I said before the Infinitys are 3 ohm. What a mis-matched set of loudspeakers. The dash Infinitys are louder than the 4 Kickers.

That is my not so humble experience. Yes, I was an audio engineer in the past so trust me. I would not lead you astray.

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like Kicker speakers but I wouldn't waste the money on the Mopar set. I did that with my Challenger for the compatibility issues you mention. In my 2014 Ram, I went with Kicker speakers from Crutchfield. They include any adapters needed and were just as easy to install. The speakers were definitely higher quality than the Mopar Kickers. I was told the Mopar Kickers are "built to a price point". As for the 3.5" tweeters in the dash, Crutchfield has "bass blockers". These are resistors already built into the wiring harness and simply plug in line. They make a huge difference and I wish I had known to put them in my Challenger. Going this way will sound better and be cheaper then the Mopar set.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m another satisfied customer of the Mopar/Kicker upgrade. I have the same speaker upgrade as cityredneck in my 2018 CC. The 6x9s for the front doors are actually mid woofers and put out surprisingly good base. The tweeters in the dash are not overwhelming for my taste and the 6x9 coaxial in the rear doors do a good job of filling in the sound. All plug and play too. One bit of advice is while you have the door panels off get yourself some cheap dynamat soundproofing from Amazon and apply it to the inner part of the exterior door panels. It makes a noticeable difference in road noise and sound quality. It’s peel and stick and two boxes was about sixty bucks.