My 1500 towing rig setup plan: LT tires, brake controller and WDH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to set up my 1500 for towing a TT, and this is what I came up with after lurking on this forum. I appreciate any true and tried insight. The maximum TT I can tow is 7300 GVWR and 700 lbs Hitch Weight.

I’m planning to get a factory OEM brake controller, and LT tires ( I have another thread about that), and for the WDH, the best concept I saw was in the Reese 66550 Steadi-Flex hitch that uses brake pads on the bars for anti-sway. Any feedback out there on this hitch?

For the tongue weight to be around 10%, which is very important, it looks like I also need to buy a weight measurement ball to measure it each time loading the trailer, no other way?

Ram 1500 max trailer can tow.jpg

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
you can use a cat scale for measuring your weights. I use my local truck stop when they are closed, they keep the scale turned on. I pull up, measure, and go on.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't forget the weight of fuel, your hitch, tongue weight, etc....as part of your payload weight.

OP
OP
G

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jvbuttex, I saw people posting the weight scale printouts and they are good to measure all the axels, but for the tongue weight itself? Maddog, yes all the additions on the truck add to the payload, I am planning for minimum things in the truck.
Speaking of payload, if the Tire and loading info sticker on truck shows 1546 lbs payload for the current Passanger tires, if I install LT tires the payload rating does not change? 01.jpg

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No it doesn’t,you will just be safer, less likely to have blow out or other tire issues.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, the payload rating won't change with LT tires.

You just need to make sure you have the right load rating on the tires for your planned weight.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
You cannot change payload no matter what unless you remove bumpers, etc.

Be careful on advertised tongue weight. My sons advertised was about 650 or so but it was actually closer to 1000lbs loaded. His TT was 8100lbs loaded.

Other than that it looks like you are doing everything right.

OP
OP
G

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dhay13, so if your sons TT tongue weight was 1000lbs, that is 12% of TT weight, then the weight distribution bars transfer some of that weight to the front axle, so how much is left on the rear axle? what if too much is transferred and there is less than 10 %? I am trying to understand this.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Here is his actual weigh slip from the CAT scales shortly after we left for Texas with it. This was with me and him, a bunch of his work stuff in the back seat, toolbox in the bed, etc, and a full tank of fuel. Keep in mind it says the truck was 9120lbs but about 1000lbs of that was tongue weight transferred from the TT.

The rear axle GVWR is 6500lbs and the front is 5500lbs so he was well under those limits. We did not get a weight with the bars disconnected so not sure how much transferred. We didn't actually weigh hi truck empty but my truck is identical down to every option and mine was 7240lbs with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel. By our calculations his was about 8100lbs the day we weighed it with the TT. He had thought he lost his tool to connect the bars so we couldn't disconnect them to weigh it but we ended up finding it once we get to Texas...lol. He has the Husky TS Centerline WDH and it requires a tool to connect them. He got them connected without it but we were afraid to disconnect them on the road.

Blaise_weigh_slip.png

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You want 10-15% tongue weight after the wdh is adjusted for a safe and stable tow.

With the wdh you are attempting to restore as much of the unloaded front axle weight back to that front axle.

Another way to say this is, When you hook up your tt without the wdh engaged, your rear axle takes the majority of the weight and the front axle becomes significantly lighter (bad for steering control, headlights pointed up at the sky, reduced braking performance)

With the wdh engaged and properly adjusted you want that front axle to be as close in weight as possible to what it was unloaded. (Trailer not hitched to the truck)

This is why utilizing a cat scale is so important. You weigh the truck with and without wdh engaged to dial in the wdh and ensure you have proper weight returned to the front (steer) axle for the reasons noted above.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 6300 Winnebago TT from Michigan to Florida. 16 Ram 5.7 3.92 rear end. I started to get bad rear sag and always felt like I was getting tossed around a lot. I added Airlift1000 airbags and had my equalizer hitch readjusted and wow what a difference. I drove to Tennessee yesterday and for the first time I’m close to level and I’m not gripping the steering wheel with both hands. I highly recommend a good WDH along with airbags.

OP
OP
G

Geogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks pjram for your input. I looked initially into air bags, but what I got out of all the different posts I read, was that the air bags beside stiffen up the 1500 woos springs, place more weight on the rear axle, which could overload the rear axle. I will have to research this more I guess.

As for trailer sway, that is the scary one, hearing all about white knuckles and seeing pictures of overturned trailers. That is why I am looking into what could be done to minimize it. So far the Reese Steady-Flex with brake pads rubbing on the bars for sway control might work best versus the other designs, but if I can install more gadgets to counter trailer sway, I would, still researching.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’re right. My soft cushy ride was lost a little from the airbags but not too much. I would never tow without the WDH and it’s readjustment got the weight off of the rear axles. What the airbags did for me was take away the rear sag. You might take a wait and see approach for the bags if they are needed. My thought is the Ram rear springs are more designed for a good ride other than holding weight and needed some help.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I went with Sumo Springs to reduce sag. These replace the "bump stops" and barely touch the axle if there is no weight in the box. So normal ride comfort is not changed. You should consider these.
I chose these over air bags because I didn't want to mess around with airing them up and letting air out again for normal driving.
I'm also towing a similar TT and using an equilizer WD hitch. Seems t be working out fine so far.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A properly set up wdh with sway control can certainly make the experience comfortable. I can normally drive at freeway speeds without sway unless the wind is super strong. The only time I had any sway issues was the night I took the trailer home. The trailer was unloaded so the tongue weight was a bit low and it's also the worst wind I ever drove a trailer in.

If you do what you are planning to sway should not be a major issue for you. Just maybe aim for 12% instead of 10% tongue weight. It will reduce the possibility of sway.