Need help deciding on flowmaster muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently running JBA long tube headers, off road Y pipe, 14” magnaflow, and no resonators with 6” tips. Raspy and crackles on down rev. I prefer the nice clean sound of flowmaster, but don’t know which one to get.
With my current magnaflow muffler, truck is annoyingly loud since I put the headers on. If I install super 10s, will my truck be just as loud as it is now?

kempo780

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the outlaw muffler on my truck while everything else is stock. Gives it a nice deep aggressive growl with no rasp. My dad has the thunder muffler on his Ram by flow master, it is also good but noticeably quieter then mine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Not sure anything will eliminate this with the long tubes on

I run ARH and (2) Borla XR-1 40085 mufflers, sound is incredible, but it is loud as ****

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would imagine Super 10's will be louder than your 14" magnaflow by a good bit. If you are looking to quiet it down, you'll want to look at the 50HD or even the 70 series. Anything in the 40 or 10 series will be louder than what you have....though the tone will be different. Not sure if Flowmaster will cure your raspiness or not.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I have the 50 series on my '02 with the 4.7
Single in dual out cat back.
Sounds great. Nice low end rumble, low to no drone. Not too loud but you definitely know it's there.

Would love to get the same sound on my '18 6.4 if/when I get around to messing with it.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, since you’ve removed the cats you’re going to always be significantly louder.

I’ve got JBA long tubes with a custom true dual setup. It’s 2.5” front to back with 5” tips and no resonators...the big difference is we spliced in the factory cats right after each header. No rasp and no CEL without a tune. Mufflers are borla pro xs 19”. I don’t consider my setup loud at all. It’s very deep, smooth and escalates from there under WOT.

Images can be found in this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/mo...ffler-swap-perhaps.151952/page-3#post-2149248

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would imagine Super 10's will be louder than your 14" magnaflow by a good bit. If you are looking to quiet it down, you'll want to look at the 50HD or even the 70 series. Anything in the 40 or 10 series will be louder than what you have....though the tone will be different. Not sure if Flowmaster will cure your raspiness or not.
I agree with this 100%. You’ll want something above a 40 series if you want to be quieter than a 14” magnaflow.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Super 40 and love it. Of course I still have cats and resonators. I imagine without cats it would sound even better!

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Flowmaster 50 with headers and no CATs will have some rasp. That's what I experienced when I installed the DT long tubes before I switched to the Solo Mach 44. DTs have smaller collectors and I retained factory resonators and tips, so could be even worse on your setup...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The cheap "fix" would be to toss like a 10" or 12" or even 16" race bullet in after the y and before the magnaflow to act as a resonator to calm down the rasp and they won't do much damage in the way of flow restriction. You could also toss some into the tails to perform the same function as the resonators once did. That being said it's more of a bandaid when it comes to rasp, but it will quiet things down somewhat and get rid of some of the rasp.

Personally I'd probably look at one of the laminar-flow Flow's if you want to swap to flows or something similar to help eliminate that rasp as without the cats you no longer have their side benefit of smoothing out flow. Much like you see with honeycomb in a wind tunnel, the cat does act as a flow straightener reducing turbulence in the flow. While they do kill noise and can reduce flow, they also help smooth out the flow which helps quite a bit with defeating rasp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_straightener

You could also look at getting some high flows with a low cell count. They won't really cat much and they won't be much of a noticeable restriction, if any, but they'll serve the same purpose.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
With 3” diameter downpipes and no cats you’re going to need a massive wide body muffler (22”+ long) for it to be tolerable. There’s really not a lot of room for anything else without cutting up the y-pipe or adding actual resonators. You have the transmission/ transfer case and fuel tank that don’t need excessive heat near them.

Do you have 1-3/4 or 1-7/8” primary tubes?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I have stock exhaust and just a Magnaflow 12388 Muffler. I love it. Nice low rumble until I step on it then it will turn heads.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rasp is created by the glasspacks inside the muffler that magnaflow and carven use. Flowmaster doesn’t use any glass...just chambers.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With 3” diameter downpipes and no cats you’re going to need a massive wide body muffler (22”+ long) for it to be tolerable. There’s really not a lot of room for anything else without cutting up the y-pipe or adding actual resonators. You have the transmission/ transfer case and fuel tank that don’t need excessive heat near them.

Do you have 1-3/4 or 1-7/8” primary tubes?
1 7/8”

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems flowmaster has changed their names since I last bought one. I had single chamber dual 3” no cats and 1 7/8” headers on my camaro. It sounded smooth, zero rasp, but was just too loud. Constantly got pulled over by police because they thought I had no mufflers.
Is the outlaw and 50 series a 2 chamber muffler?

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems flowmaster has changed their names since I last bought one. I had single chamber dual 3” no cats and 1 7/8” headers on my camaro. It sounded smooth, zero rasp, but was just too loud. Constantly got pulled over by police because they thought I had no mufflers.

i read in another thread the Matt from moes says the flowmaster are a restrictive muffler , so its one not to use with long tubes as your losing power. you want a straight through design such a magnaflow, he mentioned another but i forgot

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Real outlaws are race bullets like what I have on my SRT, the case is maybe 1.5" bigger than the pipe and they use "delta" rings inside to help with flow. I have cats and an X so it helps with rasp, but they're LOUD, snap crackle pop on hard decel/downshifts, but not terrible on rasp due to having cats. I ran the car open headers (with the cats) just to get a comparison and honestly all they do is clean up the sound a bit without doing much for noise. They fit the car well with all the chassis stiffening and poly/delrin bushings everywhere so the harshness just fits, but I wouldn't want them on my Ram being my daily. I also would definitely not run them by themselves without cats lol. Internal Image below. If I ever ditched the cats I'd probably swap to the laminar flow series or run them in addition to the outlaws.

The 10 series is a single chamber, 40 series dual chamber, 50 series is a 3 chamber chamber, and so on these days. I do like my super 10 on the ram, but I've still got cats and the resonators. If I ever get the bug to toss LT's on it I will do some high flows and probably toss a race bullet in before the super 10 to keep it from being too obnoxious for when I need to go into the city.

E62DAF17-0B7C-4435-891A-E0FA128FE008_1_105_c.jpeg

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you're looking at Flowmaster, but just a thought about looking at the Borla transverse flow mufflers could be a great option.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know you're looking at Flowmaster, but just a thought about looking at the Borla transverse flow mufflers could be a great option.

In Borla I'd probably look at some of the round Xr1's instead. Very similar to the muffler that comes on the ever popular Stinger Cat-Back for the 03/04 Cobras that does a pretty good job with rasp when running catless. They sound good, but definitely a different sound than the flows.

https://www.borla.com/products/xr1.html