Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick laethem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I have a 2012 ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. My truck was running great until Wednesday morning it started loosing power and shaking badly and when I would come up to a stop light the engine would stall out. I had to rev it up to about 2500 rpm to keep her running. She was running very rich. The codes that are popping up are multiple misfires detected, cylinder 3 misfire, Air temp sensor high voltage. I changed out the air temp sensor, swapped the coil packs, changed all of the spark plugs which were all fouled out. I also changed the crankshaft position sensor. I pulled the valve cover off to make sure it’s not a lifter issue everything is working as it should. Nothing seems to be helping I am truly lost on this one. Do you have any ideas what it could be?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
How good is your battery. Bad battery with cause all Sorts of unexplainable nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nick laethem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery is good had it load tested before winter. Problem just started suddenly without any warning

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Might sound weird but, I've had some strange issues in the past on previous trucks that were caused by a loose ground wire on the firewall. If it's not something obvious I would start looking for what's free before I throw money at the problem.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Any more codes after changing all of that, believe me I understand getting frustrated but it sounds like you've ruled out the mechanical things. I know I'm of little help but look for the simple things, walk away if you get frustrated and come back and search more.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good luck man. I hope for your sake it's something small that just needs to be found.

OP
OP
N

nick laethem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well when we unplugged the throttle position sensor there was a lot of codes that came up because of that. I’m starting to wonder if the ECM went bad and needs to be replaced

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Check the connection at the TIPM for looseness/corrosion. Not sure if there's a hard reset procedure for the ECM but might be worth researching.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would clean all connections un hook battery for a hour or so and start fresh plug a scanner in and see what comes up.

OP
OP
N

nick laethem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on the truck we did a compression test and cylinder 3 had 0 compression upon further inspection we discovered that the exhaust valve spring had broken. Went and got a new spring but in the process of removing the old spring lost one of the valve keepers so I’m at a standstill until I get more from the auto parts store in the morning. So once I get that put back together I will do a compression test on all of the cylinders and find out what the numbers are. If any of the other cylinders are low compression it looks like we may be doing a top end rebuild of the engine. It’s been brought to my attention that the 2012 hemis with active cylinder management are known for dropping lifters and scoring the camshaft.

EDBB0E06-CFA3-4AC6-BEC0-42CB73288477.jpeg