New 3.0L inline-6 has arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The I-6 engine will be an option priced the same as the 5.7 Hemi.
The 2023 RAM will be available to order starting in June or before as
they prepare to switch over to the new model year.
The new I-6 is being built in Mexico, they have been at it for a while.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
True, but with it's HP and torque numbers, I suppose we can't really compare it to the 3.6L pentastar or 5.7 hemi.

So curious how they're going to roll it out eventually in the Ram 1500. Is it going to replace the pentastar or hemi? Is it going to be the base engine or an option? Is the oil filter going to drip oil all over the EPS and chassis.. I'm kidding on that.. mostly.

Rumour is that both the pentastar and the hemi get the ax. The I6 is the sole future, including pairing with an electric motor.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The hemi will not be getting the axe, anytime soon.

Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
The hemi will not be getting the axe, anytime soon.
And you my FRIEND are DEAD WRONG.My neighbor is one of the lead engineers at the Chrysler proving grounds here in Michigan hemi will be gone in 3 years MAX..

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
And you my FRIEND are DEAD WRONG.My neighbor is one of the lead engineers at the Chrysler proving grounds here in Michigan hemi will be gone in 3 years MAX..
3 years is a lifetime, ACE........it will not be gone soon. Your friend does not have a clue. That decision will be made at a much higher level than he is.....

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
3 years is a lifetime, ACE........it will not be gone soon. Your friend does not have a clue. That decision will be made at a much higher level than he is.....
You seem angry SLICK but thats what clueless folks do.LMAO..Were you a cast member in the movie FARGO by chance?

Last edited:

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
My 2015 RAM 1500 is going off 5 yr warranty this fall and debating whether next vehicle will be a 1500 or Grand Cherokee. The new engine is exciting but will wait till a year after introduction. The 5.7 has served me well but time for the new. Hopefully they have watched Fords intro to turbo 6s the past few years and learned.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Everytime I look at a modern engine I reflect back on my first car. ‘55 Chevy with a 265 V8. Could have fit that engine in twice and I could sit on the radiator or wells to work on it. Plugs, point and condenser anyone ? :)
Yeah this thing doesn't even look like an engine. Guess it doesn't matter if it works. We soon shale see.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Took a Wagoneer with that "Awsome" 6 banger Standard output lawnmower engine for a ride the other day. Almost fell asleep waiting for it to get to 60mph!

My old '84 Dodge SWB w/slant six was faster.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Took a Wagoneer with that "Awsome" 6 banger Standard output lawnmower engine for a ride the other day. Almost fell asleep waiting for it to get to 60mph!

My old '84 Dodge SWB w/slant six was faster.

A 6300 lb+ 3 row base SUV is slow to accelerate? Did you alert the media?

The 5.7 or the standard Hurricane isn't going to set the world on fire any more than the standard V6 in the Grand Cherokee is. It's not a performance SUV and doesn't pretend to be.

If you want to push your hair piece back, you'll need to pay to play and step up to the Grand Wagoneer with the hi-po Hurricane. Then you're looking at 4.7-ish second 0-60 romps if you do our part. For comparison, you're looking at about 4.8-ish for a base C6 Corvette.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
A 6300 lb+ 3 row base SUV is slow to accelerate? Did you alert the media?

The 5.7 or the standard Hurricane isn't going to set the world on fire any more than the standard V6 in the Grand Cherokee is. It's not a performance SUV and doesn't pretend to be.

If you want to push your hair piece back, you'll need to pay to play and step up to the Grand Wagoneer with the hi-po Hurricane. Then you're looking at 4.7-ish second 0-60 romps if you do our part. For comparison, you're looking at about 4.8-ish for a base C6 Corvette.
Yeah, but the way everyone is talking, that SO 6 Popper is is supposed to be the cat's meow! 400HP and it takes off like a 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton! I own a Ram 1500 with 4.7 w/280k miles on it. Weighs about the same, and my old 1500 would blow that Wagoneer's doors off.
Hell...My mobility scooter can beat it off the line!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, but the way everyone is talking, that SO 6 Popper is is supposed to be the cat's meow! 400HP and it takes off like a 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton! I own a Ram 1500 with 4.7 w/280k miles on it. Weighs about the same, and my old 1500 would blow that Wagoneer's doors off.
Since the standard output hurricane in a Wagoneer beats the 5.7 Hemi in a Wagoneer from 0-60 by about 2 seconds, what lawnmower engine would you compare the Hemi to, and which type of handicap equipment can beat it off the line.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I won't be buying another Ram unless Stellantis changes their thinking. If they can't make a new engine get better mileage than a Eco-Diesel, they need to UP their game.

As it stands right now, unless my current Ram is involved in a major accident, when this engine get tired, another Eco-Diesel crate engine or rebuilt will be going into it

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Your butt dyno needs calibrated.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Since the standard output hurricane in a Wagoneer beats the 5.7 Hemi in a Wagoneer from 0-60 by about 2 seconds, what lawnmower engine would you compare the Hemi to, and which type of handicap equipment can beat it off the line.

I haven't driven the new I6 so I'm going to reserve judgement on acceleration.

However, 0 to 60 is a horrible way to compare engines unless all you do is 0-60. Power under the curve is what matters. An engine can feel much torquier and stronger for day to day driving or towing, while still being slower to 60 flat out (small diesels are a great example of this). If the I6 has poor turbo tuning then it can feel very weak and sluggish in day to day driving.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
However, 0 to 60 is a horrible way to compare engines unless all you do is 0-60.
I was only replying to that poster’s “almost fell asleep getting to 60mph”, and “my mobility scooter can beat it off the line” exaggerated claims.
So, I offered a direct comparison between the hurricane and 5.7 in similar vehicles, although the hurricane was in the heavier Wagoneer L, vs the 5.7 in the lighter and shorter regular Wagoneer.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Could also be that traction control is limiting the 0-60. My 18 3500 with the 930 Ft-lb motor is a dog if you hammer the throttle because Traction control cuts the power so bad. If you feed it throttle and stay below 3/4 throttle until it is rolling, it will move out nicely. Kind of feels like a old gasser with too big of carb.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Could also be that traction control is limiting the 0-60. My 18 3500 with the 930 Ft-lb motor is a dog if you hammer the throttle because Traction control cuts the power so bad. If you feed it throttle and stay below 3/4 throttle until it is rolling, it will move out nicely. Kind of feels like a old gasser with too big of carb.

Ah, the good old GM Quadrabog! bwahhhhhh! as the secondaries opened up, sucking down twice the gas for 5% more torque. lol

Yeah, 0-60 race times are only relevant for truck racers, which is a relatively new thing. I'm a traditional truck buyer that wants a truck for towing, not racing. Timely acceleration without a tiny engine over-revving is where I'm at.

Sure, electric motors fill that bill, but use huge amounts of electricity - so much so that train locomotives use a diesel engine to drive a generator to power them. I don't see electric motors as the answer to truck power. And of course, diesels have such convoluted exhaust aftertreatment systems on them now as to be largely untenable anymore to many of us.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I was told by the service manager at our local dealership, is that expect multiple years of hiccups with it before he would suggest buying one with that engine.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What I was told by the service manager at our local dealership, is that expect multiple years of hiccups with it before he would suggest buying one with that engine.

IMO service managers are like a diaper, always on someone's @ss an full of :poop:

Last edited: