New engine... knock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-DOGG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 1500 2wd 5.2 - Purchased long block came w/ new oil pump and felpro gasket set. Got Hughes plenum kit, new distributor set and wires. Cleaned everything up and swapped the motor, fired right up and set fuel sync with my snap on brick scanner. Runs and revs no problem, go for test drive and I start to get a light knock, starts to get louder and let off the gas it gets super loud and slowly goes away sound clip:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sX2FRcink9CHiuiz5
Fuel sync set, no misfire codes, good oil pressure, pulled valve covers and checked rockers, gone thru anything I could think of. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As long as this thing has oil pressure it sounds like a rod bearing was wiped out or a rod cap is loose.

Who built this motor? Who did you buy it from?

Did they have specific instructions on how to keep the warranty intact during installation like certain procedures or anything like that?

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
J

J-DOGG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also doesn't throw any codes, 0 misfires and normal 02 readings on live data

OP
OP
J

J-DOGG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes the system was primed prior to starting

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the system was primed prior to starting
What did the oil pressure look like once you got it running? Was it normal on the gauge?

Was there a lot of lifter noise or rocker noise when you first started the engine?

After listening to your sound clip that is definitely a rod knock. It sounds like a bearing failed or a rod cap was left loose. I would get in touch with the engine builder and see what they want you to do to the engine before you take anything apart. They will more than likely want pictures of everything for warranty purposes.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have good oil pressure its possible its a Wrist Pin, Pull spark plug boots one at a time and disconnect the injector wire to see if the noise goes away, that will tell you what cylinder is at fault

OP
OP
J

J-DOGG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did the oil pressure look like once you got it running? Was it normal on the gauge?

Was there a lot of lifter noise or rocker noise when you first started the engine?

After listening to your sound clip that is definitely a rod knock. It sounds like a bearing failed or a rod cap was left loose. I would get in touch with the engine builder and see what they want you to do to the engine before you take anything apart. They will more than likely want pictures of everything for warranty purposes.

No problems with oil pressure. No rocker noise during first startup.

Contacted the engine supplier today, the guy who handles warranty will call back.

OP
OP
J

J-DOGG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have good oil pressure its possible its a Wrist Pin, Pull spark plug boots one at a time and disconnect the injector wire to see if the noise goes away, that will tell you what cylinder is at fault

I was thinking about doing this previously but it's not constant so kind of tough to pull over in traffic and check before it quiets its self

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the flywheel I've had one have hairline cracks and it was flexing making a knock sound, you really need to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge to get a true reading.