New transmission at 23k miles, 8 speed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Just wanted to make a thread for others who might experience similar problems. Just to preface, I've had a lot of different vehicle, some pretty high mileage ones, and I've never lost a transmission before.

Starting around 21k miles I started noticing a whine upon acceleration. The volume of the whine was in direct relation with how hard I was on the throttle. Seemed to only be in 1st and 2nd but was hard to tell if it was there in 3rd with all the other noise at that point. Almost sounded like a turbo spool but not. I passed it off as normal that I never heard because the radio was on.

One day getting into traffic I stepped on it some and my wife asked about the whine. That is when I knew something was wrong. Happened to be at the dealership I bought it from on a Sunday to buy another vehicle, inquired about it but service was closed so no dice.

A week later while driving on the freeway at about 70 I let off the gas a touch as I was catching up to a rig and noticed a funny something that almost felt like a shift. Thinking it was just the road or the crappy rain/wind storm we were in I passed it off. On our way home the next day I noticed it one more time in the same scenario but weather was perfect at that time.

Two days later as the odometer turned 23k miles, pulling into traffic at about half throttle, the shift from 1st to 2nd was brutal, like way brutal. I let off the throttle and it held onto 2nd gear a long time before slamming into 3rd. I drove home, wasn't bad as long as I was in a higher gear until I would stop at an intersection and go again then you could just tell it was shifting right. Shifting real hard, thunking, I knew it was f'd.

Next day limped to the dealership. At a couple stop lights it actually didn't want to move on the green light. Lightly working the throttle would always get me going. On the interstate all was well as long as we were maintaining speed, not shifting. A few miles before the dealership it threw a CEL, some message on the screen about servicing the tranny, a lot of beeping, and went into full limp mode. Was stuck in a higher gear. Would barely get going from a stop.

Dealership got it right in, pulled the pan, and said it was full of shavings. They put it right back together, dropped the tranny, and once RAM approved they installed a brand new one.

Big props to NW Jeep in Beaverton, Oregon. Dropped it off Wednesday, before it was all logged into the system they had a loaner pulled up for me, Saturday the truck was all back together and done with all the safety recalls handled and a new transmission. Couldn't have asked for better service.

I even watched what dash cam video there was of the time they had it, which was a decent amount as the key was on a lot. They never even did anything questionable. Even listening to the transmission tech talk it over with others techs they were spot on and just wanted to make it right. Their test drive after install was as I'd expect and want. Obeyed every traffic law, signaled at every turn, got on it a bit to test shifting but not abusive at all. No complaints at all and I'm picky about my stuff.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for sharing, very helpful.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks as well. I also have an 8 speed. Ill be looking out for those problems.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great read , to bad about your tranny . Good to hear positive things about a dealership and the techs , the positive is way to far and between !

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good to hear they took care of it no questions asked. My 8 speed hasn't been right since day one. When cold the first time it shifts from 1st to 2nd is rough. It wines and some time it's shifts are erratic. There is no pattern to it. Had it at the dealership about three times complaining about it. They say it's normal. WTF. Ok then I will just wait till it blows then hopefully they replace it. It's under warranty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GzNutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Glad to hear of your good experience with the service.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to hear they took care of it no questions asked. My 8 speed hasn't been right since day one. When cold the first time it shifts from 1st to 2nd is rough. It wines and some time it's shifts are erratic. There is no pattern to it. Had it at the dealership about three times complaining about it. They say it's normal. WTF. Ok then I will just wait till it blows then hopefully they replace it. It's under warranty.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My new tranny (original replaced @20k because of a whirring/whine in reverse but operated flawlessly) exhibits a weird 1-2 shift if I back up first and it only does this when cold, like first time the truck is moved after sitting all night........and it only does it once. If I happen to back in the night before and just drive off in the morning, the first 1-2 and every other is just fine. Only happens on the first 1-2 shift if I back up first..........weird!

Last edited:

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed a slight whine in reverse, but I have 56K on my 8-spd, and no shifting issues thus far.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
mine whines a lot but it might be my engine, thats where it sounds like it comes from, I have the v6 though

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
And I thought the 8 speed was awesome. I know this one case, but the jury is still out with reliability. At least on a stock truck.

Sucks about the trans, but sounds like you have a great dealership..

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
45k miles on mine and not a single issue. And I tow and abuse it like it's meant to be lol.

There will always be bad apples though. Glad to see you got it worked out so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Despite toasting a transmission at such low miles I'm not labeling these 8 speeds as bad. I still like the transmission. I really think mine was just bad from the start. After picking it up and driving for 2 weeks now it reminds me of how it drove when it was new. Not sure if that makes any sense, and can't exactly say why, but it reminds me of the first week I had it.

Again, I am super impressed with the dealership and how they handled it. I was 100% ready for a run around game and being without my truck for weeks. Didn't help that my loaner was not very exciting, a brand new Jeep Patriot. But the fact that they called me 3 days later and it was done with new transmission floored me.

I crawled under the other day for some other stuff and looked at the nice new shiny unit. One thing that I notice is the pan seems to be a nice heavy duty one with big cooling fins. I can't recall of the old one was that way. I think I only looked at it twice ever and that was when changing oil.

Should also note that my truck is basically bone stock. I have 2" drop springs in the rear but no power adders or anything to the power train. I don't even drive it super hard and only has about 300 miles total towing a relatively small trailer without a ton of weight.

jboy2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Despite toasting a transmission at such low miles I'm not labeling these 8 speeds as bad. I still like the transmission. I really think mine was just bad from the start. After picking it up and driving for 2 weeks now it reminds me of how it drove when it was new. Not sure if that makes any sense, and can't exactly say why, but it reminds me of the first week I had it.

Again, I am super impressed with the dealership and how they handled it. I was 100% ready for a run around game and being without my truck for weeks. Didn't help that my loaner was not very exciting, a brand new Jeep Patriot. But the fact that they called me 3 days later and it was done with new transmission floored me.

I crawled under the other day for some other stuff and looked at the nice new shiny unit. One thing that I notice is the pan seems to be a nice heavy duty one with big cooling fins. I can't recall of the old one was that way. I think I only looked at it twice ever and that was when changing oil.

Should also note that my truck is basically bone stock. I have 2" drop springs in the rear but no power adders or anything to the power train. I don't even drive it super hard and only has about 300 miles total towing a relatively small trailer without a ton of weight.

Yeah man, you probably had a dud to begin with. These things happen, which is why they give us a good warranty. These tranny's are supposed to be some of the toughest out there. I'm glad to hear about your great experience at the dealership!!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have noticed a slight whine in reverse, but I have 56K on my 8-spd, and no shifting issues thus far.

Hi TRXHemi,
If this whine is concerning to you, I would recommend having your local dealership take a look at the vehicle to try and identify the cause of this noise. Based on the mileage of your vehicle, it may be covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Last edited:

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad the dealer took care of you. My friend has a 1500 with 8 speed and he had to have his replaced also he was having some slamming 2nd into 3rd shifts. His was replaced also after a couple trips to the dealer. So far so good with mine and 10,700 miles.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One thing that I notice is the pan seems to be a nice heavy duty one with big cooling fins. I can't recall of the old one was that way.
That heavy duty looking trans pan with cooling fins, is part of the filter assembly. When you have a trans service done the whole assembly is replaced.

My new tranny (original replaced @20k because of a whirring/whine in reverse but operated flawlessly) exhibits a weird 1-2 shift if I back up first and it only does this when cold, like first time the truck is moved after sitting all night........and it only does it once. If I happen to back in the night before and just drive off in the morning, the first 1-2 and every other is just fine. Only happens on the first 1-2 shift if I back up first..........weird!
I notice a similar thing with mine, seems like the first upshift 1-2 holds longer when it's cold. I have even tried both very light and hard acceleration for the second time the truck upshifts 1-2, the trans shifts normal.
Mine is a 15 EcoD so I wonder if it's something in the programming or with how the trans handles the fluid on start up as it sounds like the Hemi version does it too.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
i have 19,800 miles on my 8 speed hemi... no issues so far. ill keep an eye out. sorry you had to go through that. I have been questioning these 8 speeds since i realized the are claimed to be a lifetime service from dodge... hmm

Michael Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Dodge Ram Classic 1500
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with 15,000 and I have a whining sound when in reverse and the dealership told me it is normal. On a side note had the check engine light come on and so I took it it. The crankshaft sensor popped the light. Today they said the oil was old and the wrong filter was probably the culprit. Anyhow I get it back Monday and hope for the best.