No start battery or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So yesterday my truck did not start one single tick from the starter and that’s all it’s so anytime I tried starting it. I jumped the battery and it started up figured the batteries needed replacing went to the auto parts they tested them said they were good batteries. The truck kept starting after but today same issue no start just a single tick from the starter. Has anyone had this issue is it my batteries or could it be something else. I thought maybe the batteries tested good because maybe they got recharged on the drive to the auto store. Today the truck was starting then suddenly didn’t I left it for about and hour the dash read <8 volt on the battery figured it wouldn’t start and then it started I turned it back off and went to start it again and it didn’t start had to jump it again to get it to start. So are my batteries just not holding a charge anymore after running it reads 14v again I read the code and it was a p2509

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It could be one battery acting badly. Isolate the passenger side battery and see if you get the same results, if you do, swap the batteries and retry. See if the issue follows the battery.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I presume they load tested them at the battery shop so I would not think it is the batteries. If all they did was check the voltage than they could be the problem. Need a proper load test to know for sure.

Take your voltmeter and read the battery charge right on the posts. Then read it on the connections. Could be as simple as dirty terminals or bad grounds.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmm my '18 CTD just did the same thing about 3wks ago and yup P2509 and with the 8ish volt dash reading. It happened about a year ago. When it happened then, I checked the fuses and noticed that 90% of them were sticking up a bit. I pushed them all down and it started. This time when it happened, I pulled them out and put them back in and still didn't work. So I had the sucker towed to the dealer. ($235) It first came up with "Service 4wd system" then the single click as you described. Both my batteries also tested "good". Took the truck to 3 different places for testing. But it looked like they were using the same tester. SO I went to HF and got the analog tester. When I test them 1 tests nice and strong, the other one will test on the low end of load range. (just barely below the 800amp line).

After thinking about it, I had my bro-in-law meet me at the dealership and jumped it. That's when I went to the 3 parts places for testing. It had been cold the previous night that this all started, so I did about a 150 mile trip to throw on a charge. And then for 2 nights I put it on a battery charger/tender and when starting, the voltage would drop to 9v but started.
Soooo I went to Wally World and got 2 new batteries. This time I stepped up to the AGM ones for $340ish for both. The core charge is $12 so I kept both. I put them both on spare battery charge/tenders and they both go to "green". The one still tests on the low range of the load test.

With all the computers and crap, it seems that the computer tries to do all it's monitoring and shuts down if the voltage drops while cranking. There is no more rapid clicking of the starter solenoid to give the sign of a low battery.

If we get a decent day, or wait until spring, I will be looking at the starter cables, corroded connections, grounds and all that good stuff.

Cummins P2509 Engine Code

When you scan your Dodge/Ram Cummins engine and receive a P2509 diagnostic code, it will read ‘ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent Code’.

P2509 appears on Cummins engines when there is an electronic signal being sent to the ECM/PCM that is faulty or intermittent. Electronic signals are measured within parameters, and when the signal falls outside of the parameter range, the Power Input Signal Intermittent Code P2509 is thrown.

A Cummins P2509 engine code is a battery related issue. Either your battery is weak and running low voltages, something is draining your batter faster than it can charge, or there is a poor electrical connection. While all signs point to the battery, this trouble code can actually be caused by a number of issues, and replacing the battery isn’t always the answer.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If batteries load test good. Check cable ends .(where the crimp is). As this can be unseen issue. Have had multiple vehicles over the years with similar issue. Usually ground side . Best to solder ground crimps & clean off block were ground cable mounts.

OP
OP

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Nice to know someone else has the same issue lol. Today the truck started and I decided to test something I started the truck it started fine turned it back off started it again it seemed to struggle a little bit bad though and I turned it back off went to start it again and boom nothing just the single click so what y’all’s opinions right now I’m thinking the batteries just may be weak and can’t hold a charge very long anymore or can’t hold enough charge to repeatedly start the truck. I checked the terminals even unplugged both batteries and connected one at a time to see if either would start it on it’s own but nothing. I let it rest for a few hours came back and she started up.

OP
OP

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The truck also read a code p0562 which has to do with the voltage being lower than requested for about a minute once the truck is running.