Not happy! 2 weeks old.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Off topic a little, I can only see one tie down rear chain on your truck to the carrier, and only the winch line holding the front w/o any safety chains. Hopefully it was secured correctly but just doesn't show it in the photo. I guess having worked in the towing & recovery business my eye still picks up on that kind stuff. It does suck to have a break down, especially with a new vehicle.
LOL.. The process to get the truck on the wrecker was terrible. My truck was parked with the front tire touching a curb.. With high traffic behind. My truck had the parking brake engaged and because I couldn't start it I couldn't get it in neutral. We had to call the dealer to figure out how to disengage the drivetrain. Then we had to be push the truck backwards into traffic so I could turn it. I was in the truck going up on the wrecker. He did secure it with two chains both front and back of I remember correctly. Thankfully we only had to go about a mile to the dealer.

Aharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I feel your pain, bought 2014, took it home , sat over the week end, Monday it didn’t start, this happened 3 times, took it back and told them it was a lemon. They kept it for two weeks. Found the issue, fuel pump wiring had grounded and was running the pump draining the battery.they rerouted the wiring and fixed it.
Noe she has 104k and is still running great, love the truck.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s mechanical, it could break at anytime.

my 2009 Dodge ( last year)
Ram Crewcab Rambox Lonestar hemi . 1st break down was around 235,000 miles , fuel pump . this was probably the best truck ever owned .
442,150 miles on original power train.

Wife bought a 1990 Astro Van
Brand new , less than 500 miles the electronic dash went out .
Easy fix for dealership, but 500 miles ?
It happens sometimes?

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I am, apparently, elderly. When I was young it was expected that new vehicles would spend the first weeks of it's life, in and out, at the dealership getting the bugs worked out. After that they usually ran fairly well. So don't despair. Please post what is repaired. So far my 2019 diesel is running nicely, which, to me, is inexplicable. Two days after I bought it new, it had a recall. My previous truck was a Tundra, bought new, and never had a recall over it's 150K miles.

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Had my new 1500 Eco Diesel do the same thing. Dealer fixed the problem and it never returned again.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I slammed my head against a wall everyday I drove my all new problems 2019 Ram 1500. Sounds about right that Ram can't get their act together. They could care less about me. I had to get a classic because I needed a daily driver for work. Plus, my wife wouldn't let the kids ride in the all new problems Ram because of all the safety recalls that the dealer wouldn't fix. Oh well, on to better days in my classic. Best of luck

Interesting, I have a 2019 Ram gen. 5 Laramie crew cab. Two years old now and 30k on it. Zero issues only been back to dealer for free oil changes. Too bad you have problems.

Kbustaar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Save yourself. Sell the ram.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Retired Navy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the dealer tow the truck back are did you have to pay for the tow. My first dealings with the service department and warrenty work was shocking to say the least. From the first time I went in to show the dealership my problems and getting the work completed was over 2 months. And none of the issues were as bad as this one.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Two weeks after you bought it? You were lucky. Back in Nov. 1984 I ordered a 1985 D150 pickup. Waited two months for the order to come in.
Picked it up at the dealer and about 1 mile from my house it died on the side of the road. Never even made it home. dealer came and picked it up. turned out the electronic ignition module went bad.
After that episode I went on to put 377,000 miles on that truck engine trouble free. (Trans, that's another story).

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like you have an awesome dealer. My local Ram dealer was a large factor in why I bought a Ram. The service department actually fixes vehicles and doesn’t say it’s normal or they can’t replicate it. The local Ford dealer is ran by a bunch of idiots.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am, apparently, elderly. When I was young it was expected that new vehicles would spend the first weeks of it's life, in and out, at the dealership getting the bugs worked out. After that they usually ran fairly well. So don't despair. Please post what is repaired. So far my 2019 diesel is running nicely, which, to me, is inexplicable. Two days after I bought it new, it had a recall. My previous truck was a Tundra, bought new, and never had a recall over it's 150K miles.
They replaced the coolant temp sensor. that seems to have been the issue.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the dealer tow the truck back are did you have to pay for the tow. My first dealings with the service department and warrenty work was shocking to say the least. From the first time I went in to show the dealership my problems and getting the work completed was over 2 months. And none of the issues were as bad as this one.
I paid for the Tow. I should have mentioned that the dealer close by where I live and did the repair is NOT the dealer I purchased the truck from. I purchased the truck nearly two hours away in a different state. This same dealer near me just put on my mopar in channel rain guards for free because they forgot to do them while installing the mopar mud guards. They are truly a great dealer.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
So I just got back from the dealership. This is what I was told. End result was the "coolant Temp Sensor" was way off causing the issue. they found this through the following sequence, I'll write what's on my invoice

"Vehicle will not start, towed into shop. All lights and gauges illuminate. Push start button changes settings but will not start. Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch) In shop attempted to start again, will only crank and not start. Listened for fuel pump actuation with key on present. Checked fuel pressure jumps to 56 psi. Being vehicle was just running determined shouldn't be base engine. Checked oil level, correct filter. Investegated data paramerters for pcm. noted Ambient temp sensor reads 39 when it's 70 in the shop and compared to another vehicle outside drove in and let stay in the shop for the same amount of time. Ambient temp is slow to respond. No codes. Went back to work looking at data ect temp is 154 with a cold engine. Disconnected the coolant temp sensor Vehicle starts/ replaced coolant temp sensor and verified correct operation and vehicle starts"

So for now i'm going to assume this was the issue. I was more concerned it was the TIPM but so far a pretty simple fix. hopefully this resolves the issue.
sounds like a good idea for maybe my problem ! cheep fix so will by and replace mine . runs great when cold runs so bad when hot hummm worth a try stealers cause me too much in roseville california and can't hear a loud ticking yuck right !

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well so much for a quick fix. I was on my way to drop off my son at school and the truck just turned off in the middle of a 4 way intersection. I had to pull the release strap to move the truck. Lucky this time it restarted for me so I could get it back home. I'm shocked this issue will just turn off the truck. I could understand it not allowing it to start but this is dangerous if it will just turn the thing off while driving. I can't imagine that happening traveling 65mph on the highway.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hate to hear this kind of thing afflicting new owners since my has been so rock solid reliable.
Really things like this isn't something that affects RAM only; it is a sign of the high tech nature of today's vehicles. 50 years ago many new cars and trucks didn't even have electronic ignition. Old point contact ignition was simple, mechanical and reliable if maintained. Now they are so overly complex it is mind boggling.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to hear this kind of thing afflicting new owners since my has been so rock solid reliable.
Really things like this isn't something that affects RAM only; it is a sign of the high tech nature of today's vehicles. 50 years ago many new cars and trucks didn't even have electronic ignition. Old point contact ignition was simple, mechanical and reliable if maintained. Now they are so overly complex it is mind boggling.
While it's not fun especially on a new Truck I'm not that discouraged. This is my 5th Ram, I love them. I've had excellent vehicles in the past and I'm hoping after this gets resolved permanently i'll be just as satisfied with this one. I'm going to push to have the dealer replace the entire TIPM instead of one thing at a time. I have a feeling it's simply a bad unit and needs to be removed and replaced. This type of thing happened wiht my 2018 Limited with Air Suspension. I was taking it in a few times to reset fuses and other stuff. finally I asked to have the compressor replaced and it fixed the issue.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Two weeks old?

Assuming the dealer gave you a full tank as you drove off the lot...that probably means you ran out of gas about now. Is why won't start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye