Not happy! 2 weeks old.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry about your new truck having issues.
You have to hopefully figure by the second or third year of production they would have the issues worked out.
I hope they get it fixed in a timely manner and get it back to you with it taken care of in one visit.
Like I tell my friends, when you buy a new vehicle go over it and look for any issues that need to be taken care of within thirty days of buying it.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry of the troubles

I was chapped when I had hemi tick at 3500 mile mark, spoiled the great feeling I had for the truck. In ten years the only other thing to go wrong was some minor AC part warranty fixed, and an oil change killed that tick. All in all, i love the truck, i hope you get that feeling back. let us know what it was anyhow.
I had the Hemi tick in one of my previous Rams...lucky the extended warranty I had took care of it. I'm pretty good with little issues, it's when they keep happening I get frustrated. so we'll see how this turns out.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with you, those types of bugs should have already been flushed out. I am dealing with 12" infotainment issues in my 2019 and am about to file a lemon law suit since they can't seem to fix it.
Yikes! that can't be fun. such a great option to have in the truck and to have it malfunction is just annoying at the very least. good luck with the fix.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stuff happens. I know it sux when it happens to you but my buddy is 40 year tech at a large dealership and he said brand new rigs have glitches. said it does not matte if long running model or new model or basic model or top of the line model. I have been lucky knock on wood never had an issue but know it can happen.
I totally agree, it's the luck of the draw. two identicle trucks on the lot and one can be terrible and the other issue free for the life.

OP
OP
randallwoodward

randallwoodward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just got back from the dealership. This is what I was told. End result was the "coolant Temp Sensor" was way off causing the issue. they found this through the following sequence, I'll write what's on my invoice

"Vehicle will not start, towed into shop. All lights and gauges illuminate. Push start button changes settings but will not start. Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch) In shop attempted to start again, will only crank and not start. Listened for fuel pump actuation with key on present. Checked fuel pressure jumps to 56 psi. Being vehicle was just running determined shouldn't be base engine. Checked oil level, correct filter. Investegated data paramerters for pcm. noted Ambient temp sensor reads 39 when it's 70 in the shop and compared to another vehicle outside drove in and let stay in the shop for the same amount of time. Ambient temp is slow to respond. No codes. Went back to work looking at data ect temp is 154 with a cold engine. Disconnected the coolant temp sensor Vehicle starts/ replaced coolant temp sensor and verified correct operation and vehicle starts"

So for now i'm going to assume this was the issue. I was more concerned it was the TIPM but so far a pretty simple fix. hopefully this resolves the issue.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Man... I know the feeling. My very first brand new vehicle I ever purchased was a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I was so proud to drive it off the lot... but in just 3 days, the check engine light was on - and after two trips to the dealer - and them just running code (transmission fault code), resetting and sending me on my way - When the service manager told me I was totally unreasonable to expect a brand new vehicle to not have issues...I had a chat with the OWNER of the dealership (it was still locally-owned at the time). The service manager was fired, and two weeks later, they brought my truck to me with a brand new transmission in it

I bought my 3500 diesel in 2007, only issue i have had is new injectors at 209,000 mile. Other than that I'm good.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
So I just got back from the dealership. This is what I was told. End result was the "coolant Temp Sensor" was way off causing the issue. they found this through the following sequence, I'll write what's on my invoice

"Vehicle will not start, towed into shop. All lights and gauges illuminate. Push start button changes settings but will not start. Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch) In shop attempted to start again, will only crank and not start. Listened for fuel pump actuation with key on present. Checked fuel pressure jumps to 56 psi. Being vehicle was just running determined shouldn't be base engine. Checked oil level, correct filter. Investegated data paramerters for pcm. noted Ambient temp sensor reads 39 when it's 70 in the shop and compared to another vehicle outside drove in and let stay in the shop for the same amount of time. Ambient temp is slow to respond. No codes. Went back to work looking at data ect temp is 154 with a cold engine. Disconnected the coolant temp sensor Vehicle starts/ replaced coolant temp sensor and verified correct operation and vehicle starts"

So for now i'm going to assume this was the issue. I was more concerned it was the TIPM but so far a pretty simple fix. hopefully this resolves the issue.

at least it was a simple fix. Sensors go bad, just sucks it went bad this quickly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
sensors save our engines from ourselves, but when they break it is a pita for such a small thing. Still better to have them then not.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This my favorite line from the invoice " ...Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch) ". Made me laugh pretty hard.

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This my favorite line from the invoice " ...Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch) ". Made me laugh pretty hard.

Remember doing repairs like that when i was in the navy, lucky for me my future wife was one of our supply clerks. 15 years later she is still pissed at me over some of the stuff i brought in.

Engineers motto: If it doesn't fit force it! if it breaks it needed replacing anyways!

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad they found it was just a temperature sensor. Plus the tech that did the work went about it the right way instead of throwing parts at it. It probably took a few cycles for the defect to show up.
I used to work with electronics and would see circuit boards work great on initial power up and burn in only to see a failure of just one part or a bad solder joint.
I had my 2016 for nine months and the ignition node module went nuts and was replaced and then two weeks the rf receiver was replaced.
So far that has been the only thing till the dreaded header bolts breaking, it's going in for that this next week.
Like with anything that is mass produced it's the luck of the draw, its either a diamond or a dud

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hope all works out. Warranties are great, just not having to use them so early in the game. I traded in my Laramie with lots of goodies for a bare bones Tradesman and I couldn't be happier. Whole lot less to go wrong is the way I looked at it.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I slammed my head against a wall everyday I drove my all new problems 2019 Ram 1500. Sounds about right that Ram can't get their act together. They could care less about me. I had to get a classic because I needed a daily driver for work. Plus, my wife wouldn't let the kids ride in the all new problems Ram because of all the safety recalls that the dealer wouldn't fix. Oh well, on to better days in my classic. Best of luck

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
On my 5.7 it was the Crank Shaft Position and Cam Shaft Sensor .

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I slammed my head against a wall everyday I drove my all new problems 2019 Ram 1500. Sounds about right that Ram can't get their act together. They could care less about me. I had to get a classic because I needed a daily driver for work. Plus, my wife wouldn't let the kids ride in the all new problems Ram because of all the safety recalls that the dealer wouldn't fix. Oh well, on to better days in my classic. Best of luck

So Ram was not fixing mandatory safety recalls on a 5G 1500 so you traded for a classic 4G 1500?

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
“Physically persuaded switch to operate, vehicle started (please note need new switch)”

This made me laugh pretty hard. I wonder just how persuasive they were lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Off topic a little, I can only see one tie down rear chain on your truck to the carrier, and only the winch line holding the front w/o any safety chains. Hopefully it was secured correctly but just doesn't show it in the photo. I guess having worked in the towing & recovery business my eye still picks up on that kind stuff. It does suck to have a break down, especially with a new vehicle.