Not happy! 2 weeks old.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D's Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you get it fixed. It's so frustrating to pay all that money and have these problems.

My TIPM went bad, it took the dealer months to figure it out. Only way I could keep the truck running was to put it in the garage and not take it out in the rain. If it rained and I got it wet, it would usually stop running and would take days before it restarted. Dealer kept blaming other items for my issue, not very smart people working there that's all I'll say.

Before my Ram, I never even heard of a TIPM, now I know too much, lol

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It really seems the TIPM issues are more common up north where there is corrosive road salt. I've not see issues of them "going bad" but mainly relays that have failed. I'm sure the procedure is to replace the whole unit but they can kiss my ****.
Really a poor design since the unit is open to the elements.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Oh BOY!! Waiting on mine to be delivered in a few weeks. This is the most I've ever spent in my life for a vehicle!!! I don't wanna hear this. What the heck is the TIPM? Hope it isn't the tire pressure monitor... lol

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh BOY!! Waiting on mine to be delivered in a few weeks. This is the most I've ever spent in my life for a vehicle!!! I don't wanna hear this. What the heck is the TIPM? Hope it isn't the tire pressure monitor... lol
stands for Total integrated power module. pretty much your vehicles brain. think of the tire pressure monitor as your foot :)...

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a new 2015 RAM 1500 and a new 2017 RAM 1500 and had 0 issues with both. And drove both over 40k miles before trading them. Very, very disappointed in the new 5th gen Ram. If you work out of your truck and need reliable transportation then I wouldn't recommend purchasing a 5th gen. What's worst then the truck is my local dealerships. It's so sad how they treat Ram owners. In order to fix my defrost "that never turned off" the dealer told me to cover up the vents with vinyl or something air wouldn't pass through. What? The dealer told me all new Rams have a fresh air system that circulates air throughout the cabin and yes the defrost vents. Right. I never owned a vehicle with a broken defroster until this 2019 Ram. So my windsheild and driver and passenger front windows fogged up all the time. But this wasn't the only issue. I could write a book about being stranded, almost dying when the power steering failed or the never ending list of dissapointments and failures. It's almost like Ram was begging me to drive a ford or chevy. But thankfully Ram still makes the classic. I should have never left the 4th gen but now I know.

So Ram was not fixing mandatory safety recalls on a 5G 1500 so you traded for a classic 4G 1500?

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I had two of the 4G 1500s and they were good to me too. My 2016 I traded for my 2019 2500 had 72,000 miles and it had a water pump replaced under warranty, that was it. The 4G's had most of the kinks worked out but they needed more payload.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I slammed my head against a wall everyday I drove my all new problems 2019 Ram 1500. Sounds about right that Ram can't get their act together. They could care less about me. I had to get a classic because I needed a daily driver for work. Plus, my wife wouldn't let the kids ride in the all new problems Ram because of all the safety recalls that the dealer wouldn't fix. Oh well, on to better days in my classic. Best of luck

It's just a matter of probability. Out of tens of thousands of cars or widgets manufactured a percentage will have issues. I have a 5G 2019 that's been trouble-free aside from a few minor but annoying recalls.

Over The Hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2018. 2021
Engine
Eco-Diesel, 5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear the problem. Like one said that's what warranty is for. I'm a new vehicle freak. Been buying them every since I was 16 years old. 71 now. Just totaled my 2018 eco diesel Laramie. Good truck no problems. Different rout this time going with 5.7 Hemi. Need the tow power. First car I ever bought had tons of problems. By today's standards it was a lemon. Once all the problems were fixed it turned out to be one of the best cars I ever had. 1966 Chevelle. 235 6 banger. Morale is.....Don't give up on your new Ram. These are good trucks. Odds are you wll never have another issue.And I'm a Chevy man, Buying a 2020 Ram. BTY. That's a damn nice looking truck..

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
My 2020 2500 Hemi has had zero issues thus far. The dealer I buy from provides a lifetime power train warranty so I’m covered should something goof up.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You'll get that sometimes. Even with a half mil Ferrari.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear the problem. Like one said that's what warranty is for. I'm a new vehicle freak. Been buying them every since I was 16 years old. 71 now. Just totaled my 2018 eco diesel Laramie. Good truck no problems. Different rout this time going with 5.7 Hemi. Need the tow power. First car I ever bought had tons of problems. By today's standards it was a lemon. Once all the problems were fixed it turned out to be one of the best cars I ever had. 1966 Chevelle. 235 6 banger. Morale is.....Don't give up on your new Ram. These are good trucks. Odds are you wll never have another issue.And I'm a Chevy man, Buying a 2020 Ram. BTY. That's a damn nice looking truck..
That's how Ram sucks you into the 5th gen. It is a great looking truck!!! But doesn't end well. There are a few guys near me who also got rid of their 2019 Rams but unlike me are driving other brands. I can't do turbos or direct injection. So, the trusty classic is what I needed for work. I never had a broken defroster on a vehicle I have owned and I have owned some real turds in the past. All new Ram has a broken defroster. Doesn't work in Florida, I drove around with a fogged up windsheild until I covered my dash with vinyl. But then I didn't have a functioning defrost until I moved the vinyl. Probably still have the truck if that was the only issue. Could not handle the growing number of problems, recalls, and near 500 TSBs. Oh, and 20+ recalls is not a few. A few is 3
20201225_091011.jpg

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Could not handle the growing number of problems, recalls, and near 500 TSBs. Oh, and 20+ recalls is not a few. A few is 3
View attachment 231826

I guess they learned their lesson. My '15 had several recalls; nor sure how many but at least 5, not more than 10.

Have not had a single one [/raps head] on my '20. 13 months and 8k miles.

Oh, and I never have bought a New first model year vehicle. I waited until the '20s were available to place my order...

Over The Hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2018. 2021
Engine
Eco-Diesel, 5.7 Hemi
Picking up my new 2021 1500 Laramie on Monday. Totaled my 2018.Hope this 2021 is as reliable trouble free as the 18. Big difference I've dropped the eco diesel and opted for 5.7 Hemi.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Picking up my new 2021 1500 Laramie on Monday. Totaled my 2018.Hope this 2021 is as reliable trouble free as the 18. Big difference I've dropped the eco diesel and opted for 5.7 Hemi.

Unless you regularly tow, or drive tens of thousands of miles a year, I believe you will be happy.

We just sold our 26K Isuzu diesel and replaced it with a 14.5K Gas one and the relief of not having to deal with a diesel is palpable.

Granted, we only drive about 5K miles a year, so we're a definite anomaly. But a diesel just doesn't make sense for US.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's how Ram sucks you into the 5th gen. It is a great looking truck!!! But doesn't end well. There are a few guys near me who also got rid of their 2019 Rams but unlike me are driving other brands. I can't do turbos or direct injection. So, the trusty classic is what I needed for work. I never had a broken defroster on a vehicle I have owned and I have owned some real turds in the past. All new Ram has a broken defroster. Doesn't work in Florida, I drove around with a fogged up windsheild until I covered my dash with vinyl. But then I didn't have a functioning defrost until I moved the vinyl. Probably still have the truck if that was the only issue. Could not handle the growing number of problems, recalls, and near 500 TSBs. Oh, and 20+ recalls is not a few. A few is 3
View attachment 231826

I know you're trying to prove your point and have an ax to grind, but that Cars.com recall message is misleading. That lists every recall for every RAM make and model by year. It is not specific to your vehicle. I have a 2019 and had 3 minor recalls (2 of which where a month apart and fixed at the same visit) and 1 pending to replace the floor mat.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ooops. Just remembered - I do have an outstanding recall on my '20. The windshield wipers may come loose and fly off...