Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
... and by the way, I've used Purolator Boss oil filters with no issues ... I'm sure Royal Purple oil filters are better, but I've still have a few to use ...

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not so sure either are better, the new ones look great. Maybe both top choices.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
According to bitog, the Fram ultra is no longer the same . The media now appears to synthetic blend and no longer has wire backing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
According to bitog, the Fram ultra is no longer the same . The media now appears to synthetic blend and no longer has wire backing.
I recall media was always a synthetic blend, but it did have wire backing.

Somebody else buy them and "value engineer" the product line (again)?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That sucks. We need to see a ****** fram ultra, if it is yellow on half it is paper.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
v i r g i n fram ultra. I think I checked today, they say not blend like the other one. 100% synthetic on website.

I might eat my words, pic shows yellowish media..

from fram..

2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

Traps and holds more than double the dirt of typical retail brand oil filters. **

Rigid metal-screen support offers outstanding pressure resistance and flow spacing.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^I use them too. I think I have one new in the box sitting on my shelf but I have had it for a while as I buy them when they go on sale.

Hopefully the newer version is still a great filter. My truck seems to like them.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They have changed. Not an XG2 but...

Not sure what to think of these now.

That is a great video, but to me it "appears" the new ultra w/o metal backing and yellow media is a combo paper/synthetic media. We know paper doesn't need metal backing and synthetic does, another reason to assume it is in part paper. Another reason to use royal purple. All of the other info in that thread such as efficiency matters not if it is paper, because long term those numbers don't hold water. I have yet to see a synthetic filter that is cellulose yellow. My fram ultra is pink/white. I wish I could have bought more, now I will move wife's car to more expensive rp.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should i yank the fram i just installed? I wanna get a uoa again next change on the 5w30 qsfs to compare to last 0w20.
I shoulda just bought another srt filter like i used in last change.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the box and see if you have the old filter design with the screen backing.

I would run it since it is on there like Burla mentioned. It is just not as good as a filter as it used to be.

I think I will have to move to a Wix XP or the SRT filter after my old Fram Ultra stock is depleted. I think I have one maybe two left.

Royal Purple filters are hard to find here and 5 times the price of ones in the US. Just not worth the hassle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963