On removing trim to paint '86 RC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ferdamshur

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 Ramcharger
Engine
I'm just about at the point where I'm going to give my '86 Ramcharger a Rustoleum paint job.

The truck has all this metallic trim all over the place. I can't see how it will be easy to remove, let alone remount after all the painting is done.

How have other RC owners dealt with his conundrum? Were you able to remount the trim, or did you just say screw it and remove permanently?

Thx!

OP
OP
ferdamshur

ferdamshur

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 Ramcharger
Engine
*bump*

Any tips for how to deal with trim when painting a Ramcharger?

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an '89 that I had to do this too. Not easy but doable. You will definitely need trim tools to get it off. Putting it back on is as easy as just snapping it back into place. I did break some plastic clips behind the lower panel trim, which I just replaced from a then JC Whitney catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ferdamshur

ferdamshur

Reaction score
Ram Year
1986 Ramcharger
Engine
Thanks for the reply! Once trim is removed, are there any unsightly flanges, mounts, etc? I'm considering doing away with it entirely. I've seen lots of great RC paint jobs with no trim, and it seems like removal and replacement might just be a big hassle.