Opinions on 19 Speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I(and others) did with the Alpine system, I would love to find out the specs on the subwoofer and replace it with a better one. (pionner sub in the Alpine system worked wonders).

MarvinK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.8
FWIW, I love my HK system and have never had concerns about volume. Maybe if I was going to use it as a jukebox when I wasn’t in my car... but I don’t do that.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You'll have plenty of bass. I keep mine at -4 in fact and still pretty bassy

Thanks, you made me feel better.

Is the bass nice, tight, deep and punchy though?

Others here on this thread are saying it's sloppy. I simply don't remember from my fleeting listening experience at the time of the test drive.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sadly the problem isn’t deep bass, it is accurate bass.

So, it's sloppy bass?

My memory from the listening experience at the time of the test drive is failing me.

My girlfriend has a brand new Kia Optima with a 10 speaker HK sustem (...of course we're not comparing appples to apples here...). Her HK system is very accurate, but lacks a nice low end with deep bass. Very anemic.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like I(and others) did with the Alpine system, I would love to find out the specs on the subwoofer and replace it with a better one. (pionner sub in the Alpine system worked wonders).

Yeah, I would love to know the crossover frequency and the frequency response of the subwoofer.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If what you folks are trying to replicate is chest pounding bass, then neither system is geared towards that. Simply replacing the Alpine sub with another sub isn’t going to cut it. The main problem is how these speakers are being fed their frequency. It’s like asking one person to be an entire baseball team. Without really going into it, before tossing money/ equipment at it, each one needs to decide what you want from your system.

I could easily give several suggestions, but there is no way my likes will meet everyone’s needs. Right now I’m gathering all of my nuts so that when the time comes, the system that I’ll install will meet my needs. Yes it will be overkill, but that’s only because it’s nib equipment that I already own. Why toss out the bath water just because it’s lukewarm lol.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my 17...a simple Pioneer sub switch have the system the sound I wanted.... accurate, tight, clean. The HK sub is no where near clean or tight, it's very muddy. Why I said if we could swap subs it could very easily fix the sound issues with proper bass. Again, "proper" bass....not red light pounding bass....I'm not 16 anymore

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. Wow now that really would be stepping up the game lol.

WalltoWallPinball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to this forum although I have owned my 14 Longhorn since new. I thought it was me noticing that the HK sounded weak so I searched and found this thread. Now I see I'm not alone! The last post I see was from Sept. so I'm wondering if there has been any updates to this thread and/or the HK system since it's been a few months. Like most of you, I love the Alpine system and heavy bass. I feel the HK system was lacking after plugging my ipod into the USB port on a new 19 during a test drive. I might pick up a new Limited but the HK system might make me change my mind.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to this forum although I have owned my 14 Longhorn since new. I thought it was me noticing that the HK sounded weak so I searched and found this thread. Now I see I'm not alone! The last post I see was from Sept. so I'm wondering if there has been any updates to this thread and/or the HK system since it's been a few months. Like most of you, I love the Alpine system and heavy bass. I feel the HK system was lacking after plugging my ipod into the USB port on a new 19 during a test drive. I might pick up a new Limited but the HK system might make me change my mind.
I have my Limited @ -5 bass, +9 mid, +8 treb and it sounds pretty dam clear, just still bassy IMO. The bass just isn't clear IMO, but I think it's getting better after the update we got a few months ago. Still needs tweaking though. Bass is sloppy and heavy, but still an amazing sounding system.

WalltoWallPinball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my Limited @ -5 bass, +9 mid, +8 treb and it sounds pretty dam clear, just still bassy IMO. The bass just isn't clear IMO, but I think it's getting better after the update we got a few months ago. Still needs tweaking though. Bass is sloppy and heavy, but still an amazing sounding system.

Ok, I'm still on the fence weather to get the 19 or keep my 14 w alpine. I don't mind bassy and you can still lower the bass setting if needed. What I like about the Alpine is the large speakers in the front doors. I think they are 6 by 9's and they alone seem like subs to me. My 14 has been very good to me and only has 38k miles on her. Never had to bring to service except for getting oil changes and recalls addressed. Oh and the TSB for the coolant hoses, had to be changed out due to horrible chemical like smell when running AC. So there's no reason to go new except for the updated design. I love the new interior!

horsefeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram limited
Engine
I’ve seen on another forum those who have got their truck already weren’t overly impressed with the upgraded 19 speaker sound system. I ordered my Limited with it and am just waiting on production until I get my truck.

Any opinions from anyone who either has listened to the new sound system or has it in their truck? Impressed by the quality or not so much?

WalltoWallPinball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my limited with the upgrade stereo sounds very clear no complaints here.

I'm glad you are happy with it. I'm somewhat picky when it comes to the sound system. It's possible since you got yours later in the year, that maybe some improvements have been made. I don't know how long the truck I looked at was on the lot.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the HK system in my 19 and when I got the truck I thought to myself it sounds good and clear but lacked in volume and bass. Really just didn't think it sounded amazing for a 19 speaker system. Just took the truck in for a couple of warranty items and asked them about updating the radio and speaker system. Got it back and wow it's a whole different system. I don't need to turn it up as much, I had the bass on full now it is on +2 it just sounds much more correct. Happy now.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have the HK system in my 19 and when I got the truck I thought to myself it sounds good and clear but lacked in volume and bass. Really just didn't think it sounded amazing for a 19 speaker system. Just took the truck in for a couple of warranty items and asked them about updating the radio and speaker system. Got it back and wow it's a whole different system. I don't need to turn it up as much, I had the bass on full now it is on +2 it just sounds much more correct. Happy now.

Updating the radio and speaker system? What exactly did that entail? Those are physical pieces.

BTW, while the HK system in mine sounds better than your average factory car audio, I think the sub is lacking. I plan to add a sub when something that fits comes out (IE MTX Thunderform and similar things).

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I loved the Alpine system in my 15 and 17 Limited. My 19 was built in Dec and I think it is better yet. Lots of clear base but best with surround sound on.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine