Parking light issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrc2132

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have on 08 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7
Everytime i hit my brakes the right side parking lamps come on or if I hit my right blinker the parking lamps flash with the blinker. I noticed while pulling a trailer, but it does it with or without the trailer. I have changed the plug for the trailer on the back of the truck, and have checked everything i know to check. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did you check if you have any codes? I'm assuming you don't have a dash light warning you of a lamp out? And when you say you've checked everything, have you checked the light housings inside (sockets and connectors) and the wires on the back side with an ohm meter. The passenger side wiring is on a different circuit from the driver side (2 independent systems).

OP
OP
J

Jrc2132

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have changed the 7 way trailer plug, changed all of the bulbs on the truck, checked the wires from the back bumper all the way to the fuse box. I just pulled the fuse for the right side parking lamps and that stopped my problem. So I guess I have a point of attack now, just lost at where to start.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You're obviously breaking the circuit by pulling the running light fuse on that side, but leaving the brake light and turn signal circuit intact. I feel like we're missing something here, but for the life of me I can't grasp it. I'll keep thinking on it, in the meantime, if you figure it out, let us know. Good luck,

OP
OP
J

Jrc2132

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I put the fuse back in then pulled that bulb and everything worked like it should. So then I put the right side plug on the left, and the left on the right, put all the bulbs in and checked it to see if it was a problem with the plug. Problem is fixed, not sure what that had to do with anything, but for now I'm going to let it ride and keep an eye on it, but I feel like I'm going to have to find a plug to fix it right in the near future