Payload Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So this may be a stupid question but is the fuel weight when tank is full factored in when posting payload numbers or does this have to be deducted? I’ve found a 3500 with a 50 gal tank I’m interested in and was just curious. I’d think 50 gal of fuel would be quit heavy.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My understanding was weight limit on the yellow payload sticker considered a full tank of fuel and (possibly) a 150lb driver.

Anything else you add to or install in the truck gets deducted from your payload limit.

What are you looking to do with your truck?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Be concerned about your GAWR and the weight distribution amongst the front and rear axles. SAEJ2807 already accounts for a full tank of fuel and equipment needed to hitch the trailer.
you deduct fuel weight from your payload weight
NO..
The payload police on this forum will have you convinced to buy a 3500 dually just to tow a wave runner.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
How did you know I bought my 3500 for my two wave runners--sorry for the mis information but I was told by a dealer (35 years ago) that fuel weight couldn't be included because of different fuel tanks that can be added in trucks--my bad--Thanks for correcting me.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Payload is GVWR minus Base weight.

Base weight is truck with full fluids.

So as you use fuel you gain payload.

When you weight your truck...to get base weight. Empty truck full tank of gas.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All weights in trucks are unique to the exact build, and the GVWR, payload capacity, etc. you find in the door include 150 pounds for a person and all fluids including fuel. So, if your payload capacity is 2000 pounds, your truck is full of fuel, you have no other gear or aftermarket accessories, and you weigh 150 pounds, you can load 2,000 pounds into truck based on certification of the theoretical door jamb sticker.

In your truck example, payload capacity assumes you weigh 150 pounds and you have a full tank and nothing else in or on the truck.

So, if you go the route of provisioning your truck exactly how you would travel (i.e. with all gear, hutch, people, cooler, tools, plus all fluids full and a trailer attached but trailer wheels not on scale) and take it to a scale, you should be at or below GVWR.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
tow a 7500lb empty travel trailer for now.
My understanding was weight limit on the yellow payload sticker considered a full tank of fuel and (possibly) a 150lb driver.

Anything else you add to or install in the truck gets deducted from your payload limit.

What are you looking to do with your truck?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The payload door sticker does not include a 150 lb passenger.

The door sticker is GVWR minus base weight equals payload.

Payload is driver/passenger/cargo

Base weight is empty truck with full fluids

The 150 in passenger is in the tow calculations. They actually went to a 300 for driver passenger....but it is useless to concern yourself with it. I weigh 300lbs dress to drive myself.

And who cares what allowances they give. Just more numbers to process.

GVWR minus payload equals base weight.

GCWR minus base weight equals max towing.

Then you add your numbers. Your weight. Passenger weight. Gear weight. Hitch weight.

Payload and towing(trailer weight rating) are mutually exclusive.

GVWR and payload are on you door jamb.

GCWR is found in the charts.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wouldn't GCWR be best found by taking the door jamb GVWR and adding the special trailer tow weight rating found for the VIN on the Ram site. This way, there is no way to inadvertently use the wrong trailer value when doing the math. And while the one idea in my discussion may have been unnecessary, the overall answer holds true; which is GVWR is the maximum the truck should weigh when on a scale, regardless of who or what is in/on it. Load it for travel with trailer attached is what I always say, weigh it and stay under GVWR for best results.

My turn, respectfully, to show a sad face. Towing and payload are not mutually exclusive, instead they are relational and somewhat proportional as in when trailer weight goes up the impact is to increase the payload weight on the truck to the point that maximum GVWR is reached, which can occur before maximum GVWR is reached.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you take base weight plus the tow number it will give you GCWR...but there is no reason to ever need to know the max tow number once you own the truck.

GCWR GVWR front and Rear GAWR and either an actual scaled base weight or using math with the payload number.

If you load the truck to GVWR you can not tow anything.

If you tow something at GCWR you must be well under GVWR before you hook up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220220-222756.png
    Screenshot_20220220-222756.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Zakimodo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We recently purchased a new 5th wheel. As such I looked at many of the sources of information already listed in this thread.

The more I look at the advertised payloads/tow capacities of the Ram pickups compared to the equivalent Ford or Chevy offerings, the more convinced I have become that there is some "clever" marketing at play.

My theory:
Ram seems to have focused on having the highest trailer weight rating (for my 2014 2500 that is ~16,000 lbs). I think this is true for many US states (its the case in CO), but when the GCVW exceeds 26K lbs you are supposed to have a CDL/ non restricted license.

Keeping the documented numbers in check is likely a way to keep insurance companies off their back. So if the trailer is 16K, you only have 10K to play with on the truck. Subtract the curb weight/ GVWR and you are left over with a value close to the advertised payload.

This doesn't totally hold up for the 3500's(~1500lb discrepancy) but hope my point makes some sense. In general, I would say the advertised payload rating is artificially low (especially on the heavier diesel equipped pickups). As many have said, I think keeping an eye on the gross axle rating / vehicle base weight is key.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So this may be a stupid question but is the fuel weight when tank is full factored in when posting payload numbers or does this have to be deducted? I’ve found a 3500 with a 50 gal tank I’m interested in and was just curious. I’d think 50 gal of fuel would be quit heavy.
The question is, did the truck come from the factory with a 50-gallon tank? If so, then the truck's payload number on the driver's door jamb placard is correct.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is amazing how everything adds up weight wise. Slap a set of 35’s on with matching spare and bam lose ~125lbs of payload. Spray in bed liner 40lbs, on board air and 40lbs every little thing adds up

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
tow a 7500lb empty travel trailer for now.

Should be doable, so long as you stay under GRAWR and have a properly set up WDH. I suggest confirming weights and distribution with a CAT scale to ensure your returning proper weight back to the trucks steer axle for stability, proper braking and steering performance. But understand that at 7500lbs empty, your entering the upper range of half ton towing.

Some folks get concerned about exceeding payload limits. I dont advocate doing so, however, realistically, staying under GRAWR is what is most important. Exceed that for any length of time and you could have premature wear or failures.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It depends on how you do the math. When he says subtract it, he means subtract it from the remaining available payload weight.

You don't subtract the weight of gas from anything, at anytime. You never worry about it, just like you never worry about the weight of your oil or your rad fluid or your transmission fluid.

This was explained so clearly in multiple posts above you; payload has nothing to do with gas. It's everything else you add; people, cargo, stuff in your bed, and the weight of and on your hitch.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@Wallyb4. Every towing PDF says this. Why it makes me sad with all the misinformation that gets posted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-091449.png
    Screenshot_20220225-091449.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220225-091527.png
    Screenshot_20220225-091527.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 21