Pedal Commander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use eco-4 in stop and go traffic, and for longer trips down the freeway. Keeps me from getting in trouble.
Average day-to-day zipping around I stay on city+3.
When I go to car meets I put it on sport+1.
Race day and rainy days it goes to sport+ -1.

All personal preferences. No real difference in fuel economy in eco mode, it just keeps me from playing too much.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

You have much more self restraint than I. I set it at Sports 3 the day I got it and never moved it. LOL
Jay

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will never talk myself out of buying this damn thing if I keep reading these threads. Everybody that has one seem to enjoy the hell out of it.
I read all of these threads and bought one... Honestly, I'm not a big fan. I drive like a grandpa, so the Sport and Sport+ modes are not really useful. Driving in City (+1 or 2) seems to make towing a little easier. If you have a lead foot, I could see loving this device. I'm going to sell mine.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will never talk myself out of buying this damn thing if I keep reading these threads. Everybody that has one seem to enjoy the hell out of it.
Just be aware, all it really does is affect the sensitivity of your fun pedal. As others have pointed out, you can achieve basically the same results by simply pressing the pedal further, faster.
Also, and I haven't measured this yet in my Ram, but in my old Kia Soul the stock setup would only allow 85% throttle with your foot all the way on the floor. With a pedal commander in the soul, set on sport+, it would allow 97% throttle. This was measured using a cheap ebay Bluetooth OBDII connecter paired with my cellphone using an app called Torque.
I'll have to check out the Ram when I get some time.
1eb9bd073ff663295832b9aeb2032ca8.jpg

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have much more self restraint than I. I set it at Sports 3 the day I got it and never moved it. LOL
Jay
Cops in my area are BAD. Also people drive like idiots out here. Sport mode on a day to day basis just makes me mad. The truck wants to GO! But traffic says no :(

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have to ask this question. Why do people like this product so much?
It works by "lying" to the ECU about where the throttle position is.
Without PC, 25% pedal tells the computer 25% throttle.
With the pedal commander, 25% throttle can mean 50% throttle.
So yes, the truck seems to accelerate faster at 25% pedal, but you could simply push the pedal 50% and get the same response.
So basically your just changing the "sensitivity" of the throttle pedal.
And I really can't see how it improves gas mileage any more than what you could achieve by driving with a soft foot.

Dan
It's not that simple, it changes the response speed. If you ram the pedal to the floor it will still take some finite time for the throttle to go from closed to fully open. The PC makes that response faster. You can't duplicate that by ramming your foot faster since the stock electronics will only respond so fast and thats all.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just met someone at the grocery store with a 2016 sport 1500 hemi who had it chipped and spent $2200- took his HEMI from 395hp --to 427hp --and told me it made a world of difference with the extra hp. Unfortunately he said its scary to drive in the rain now as it slides out on him and dreads the winter -and is now considering having it removed. Anyone else had a chip installed-I dont think he was talking about a tuner.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow you posted this I checked it was $250. Now it’s changed to $299. They must be reading these forums. That’s crazy. I’ve been seeing that price for weeks. Just didn’t know it would work or I would’ve ordered it. Oh well, I snoozed and lost. Thanks for the assist.
I have been looking at one -but for me in Canada its close to $500--so I may look for a used one at that price.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been looking at one -but for me in Canada its close to $500--so I may look for a used one at that price.

We can get you one for way less than $500 CAD. message me for a quote

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just met someone at the grocery store with a 2016 sport 1500 hemi who had it chipped and spent $2200- took his HEMI from 395hp --to 427hp --and told me it made a world of difference with the extra hp. Unfortunately he said its scary to drive in the rain now as it slides out on him and dreads the winter -and is now considering having it removed. Anyone else had a chip installed-I dont think he was talking about a tuner.

427 seems pretty dang low for spending $2200. For spending that much money (not just on a chip or a tune) he should be in the ballpark of 450-475 at the crank

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chip-tuner-programmer all used to be synonymous a few years ago. Now everyone uses the word "tuner" to describe a performance program that is written and installed in your vehicle. I think that guy was talking about hp at the crank and under some circumstances a tuner, probably with a custom tune and some other bolt on mod's could possibly increase the crank hp from 395(stock) to 427hp measured at the crank. You can spend over $2000 just on an exhaust system, if you buy ARH long tubes, a new muffler and 5" tips and have it all installed. The price of going fast goes up quick. Usually a tuner and the unlocked PCM will run close to $1000. A Pedal Commander has never been referred to as a "chip, programmer or tuner" as far as I know. The reason your truck can be challenging to drive in snow or on slick roads is because of the increased sensitivity on the "go" pedal. It's just a matter of getting used to how your truck responds.
Jay

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most people get it for the "fun factor". I had it in City + a few times, tried Sport+ just once (that was enough). For a long time it was turned off. Now it sits in Eco -4. I usually drive pretty easy and this helps keep the "Fuel Saver" light on much easier than stock. Does it help with MPG? I think so, a little at least. But for the most part it wasn't worth the price to me.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading this thread I’m curious to know how many members that are running the pedal commander along with a custom tune via a Trinity Diablo programmer and your taught on how well they compliment each other seeing that throttle boost can also be adjusted via the tune. I guess I’m not sure what the difference is.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not that simple, it changes the response speed. If you ram the pedal to the floor it will still take some finite time for the throttle to go from closed to fully open. The PC makes that response faster. You can't duplicate that by ramming your foot faster since the stock electronics will only respond so fast and that all.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't see how this can happen.
We cam assume that there is more than a variable resistor in the throttle peddle assembly since there are 5 wires in the connector and you only need 3 wires for a simple potentiometer. So this can introduce some delay.
But since the PC is installed in series with the peddle, the same delay should be present "before" the PC sees that the throttle peddle has moved. Your saying the PC can anticipate what the throttle peddle is going to do.

Any company that sells something will tell you it is a wonderful thing, but these claims seem unfounded.
I just think the increased sensitivity is fooling people into thinking this thing is more than it really is.
The company also claims a 20% increase in fuel economy...which seems a bit much

Sorry........I am almost tempted to try their 30-day satisfaction guarantee but since I drive like a grandpa (I am one) I am not looking for a performance change like this.

Regards,
Dan

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reading this thread I’m curious to know how many members that are running the pedal commander along with a custom tune via a Trinity Diablo programmer and your taught on how well they compliment each other seeing that throttle boost can also be adjusted via the tune. I guess I’m not sure what the difference is.

I have a Pedal Commander and a custom tune by Hemifever using a Diablo. The Pedal Commander and the tuner seem to work very well in conjunction with each other. I think the PC has the capability of increasing the sensitivity of the accelerator much greater than you can with custom tune. I also think if you have a PC and plan to get a custom tune, you need to tell your tuner that you have the PC and he can make any adjustments in the tuner setting that he sees fit. The PC is adjustable on the fly where as the tune is not and you have many more choices of settings with the PC.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand what you are saying, but I don't see how this can happen.
We cam assume that there is more than a variable resistor in the throttle peddle assembly since there are 5 wires in the connector and you only need 3 wires for a simple potentiometer. So this can introduce some delay.
But since the PC is installed in series with the peddle, the same delay should be present "before" the PC sees that the throttle peddle has moved. Your saying the PC can anticipate what the throttle peddle is going to do.

Any company that sells something will tell you it is a wonderful thing, but these claims seem unfounded.
I just think the increased sensitivity is fooling people into thinking this thing is more than it really is.
The company also claims a 20% increase in fuel economy...which seems a bit much

Sorry........I am almost tempted to try their 30-day satisfaction guarantee but since I drive like a grandpa (I am one) I am not looking for a performance change like this.

Regards,
Dan

You seem to think that the Pedal Commander does not work and the companies claims are unfounded. My first question would be---do you have one, or have you ever ridden in a truck with one installed? Personal experience may be beneficial before you make your assumptions--IMHO. If you are not looking for increased acceleration or performance, I don't think this particular modification is for you.
Jay

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You seem to think that the Pedal Commander does not work and the companies claims are unfounded. My first question would be---do you have one, or have you ever ridden in a truck with one installed? Personal experience may be beneficial before you make your assumptions--IMHO. If you are not looking for increased acceleration or performance, I don't think this particular modification is for you.
Jay
That’s exactly what I’d like done personal experience with one, I don’t own one, nor do I personally know anyone that has one. Only thing I know is about the numerous YouTube videos where everyone seems to enjoy them but I also know blogging is a source of income for allot of the folks putting out these videos are maybe they’re sent one to do reviews on etc. I guess that’s why I’d personally like to hear others taughts that like you Pull Ya have a Tuned Ram and that’s also running the Pedal Commander.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Hemifever 93 tune and the PC. They work very well together and I really like how I can adjust the throttle response on the fly without having to reload the tune with different throttle settings.

For instance when I tow my camper I like the throttle a little less responsive so I have finer control over how the truck accelerates. When I want to have some fun I turn it up. IMO the PC is totally worth it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there are quite a few others, hopefully they will chime in. Experience is a great teacher when it comes to thing like this---and sometimes it can save you lots of money------or make you spend lots of money. LOL
Jay