Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any advice is appreciated!!! I purchased my first Ram 2018 1500 crew cab 2X4 5.7 Hemi about two years ago used with 80K miles on it. I loved everything about the truck with the exception it could use more braking power. But I figured I’d eventually get there. So about 6 months after purchasing I installed a cold air intake system and did the E.Fan swap. Removed the active shutters, and installed a 180 thermostat Then a tuner by Diablo Sport to control the fan ( prior to me learning about alphaOBD) After considerable conversations with their Team I was finally convinced that installing this tuner using only the pre-programmed tunes on my stock engine was safe to do. I ordered and installed the unlocked ECU, programmed the truck , and absolutely loved it. Tried all the tunes (always use 93 octane and occasionally would run 5 gallons of Sunoco 110 to a full tank) and found the truck really responded well to the middle aggressive tune (think it’s the 91 octane tune) So I kept this tune installed and continued to drive and enjoy my truck. I later installed flowmasters and everything was great for awhile. Then right about 100k miles it threw a misfire code on cylinder number 8 so before I inspected it was getting close to service time and I was planning a trip that following week to Charlotte NC (about 225 miles from Charleston SC ) so I went ahead and purchased all new plugs, oil, filter, antifreeze, new cotton air filter everything needed to perform 100K mile service. When I pulled the plugs from number 8 they were both tapped closed. Very concerning I checked everything I knew to check and couldn’t find anything out of spec. Replaced the plugs with new plugs and finished the service. Now when I cleared the error code for the misfire it didnt return, I went on to dive the truck and everything seemed great. After driving the truck for a couple days before my trip out of town I pulled the plugs out of number 8 just to check it , it went closed and gap was stil where I had gapped it a few days prior. Very strange I thought but continued on with my trip. One of the pre programmed tunes Was a miles per gallon efficiency tune designed for 87 octane fuel. So loaded up and filled up with th low grade gas , programmed the truck right here at the pump, and put my wife in the driver’s seat to make the four hour drive. Turned the MDS back on, and everything went smoothly without a hitch. After the trip once we got off of the highway we stopped to refuel and so I put the high grade fuel back in the tank and put my favorite 91 tune back in the truck as we had about 12-15 more miles to get to our destination, MDS back off and myself back in the drivers seat. I took it easy for about 2-3 miles to let the gas circulate and stopped at a light. Pulled off a little aggressively everything felt normal, ran it on up like a normally do hit the shift point right before the rev limiter I had set at 5,550 and ran it on through the gears. When I got stopped at the next couple of lights the check engine light was flashing , the truck was smoking, clearly burning oil, skipping, misfiring, it was an absolute mess. I limped it on the rest of the trip until we arrived at my brothers laws house where I was then ready to check it out to see what was going on. I immediately pulled number 8 plugs and to my surprise they were wet with oil however still gapped properly. When it time to return home 225 miles away I began calling U-Haul, and all the major rental companies I could tow the truck back home with no body had any trailer or dolly or truck matched to tow my rig home with. The tow companies wanted $1500-$2000 to tow it home for me. I still had good oil pressure , so I made the decision to try and limp it home stopping frequently to add oil as it was burning A lot of oil through number 8 cylinder. We made it to Columbia about 80 miles from home and I stopped and shut it down right there and called for a tow from there it was still $500 but I couldn’t stand another mile of forced damage. I went ahead and just purchased a salvage engine with 34K Miles out of a 2019 classic work truck, put my tune into that engine after I was comfortable everything was good. And I drove this for about 6500 miles when it threw a misfire code on cylinder number 1 I pulled plugs were tapped closed. This brought up all kinds of memories for me. So I kept the original engine with intentions of rebuilding it one day. But after this was starting to happen again I started tearing down the original engine and to my surprise the only thing I could see from carefully inspecting was the piston in cylinder number 8 broke exposing the top ring explaining the oil burning and of course the fragments would’ve shut the gap in the plugs but once the debris was all imbedded into the top of the piston or intake sucked what it wanted and whatever amount my have gone through the exhaust would have gone the plugs wouldn’t have Ben physically effected anylonger. I get it , but now my salvage engine is starting to repeat this pattern, it throwing a multiple cylinder misfire and started to burn oil. I went ahead and pulled the right side he’d off because it indicated misfire in cylinder number 7 and to my surprise the top of piston 7 is broken just like the original motor in cylinder 8. I called the tuning company and they indicate they have never hear of this or had any related issues with their tuning program. I’ve looked across all the forums and you tube outlets I frequent and I just can’t figure out what’s going on with my truck that’s eating piston tops up. Please advise is greatly appreciated. I apologize for being so long I just wanted to make sure I covered all the major details. Thanks

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm not going to even pretend to say I know what the problem is. But 2 motors with the same tune, and the same outcome. That is where I would be looking, and of course the tuners will say we have never had this problem, so it cannot be us...and it may not be, could just be coincidence.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that’s what I had in mind as well however I can’t find anybody else in he tuner forums having this issue. But yeah I believe before I go back up with it I will let them reflash it or whatever they need to do. I’m thinking someone might have taken lunch or something in the middle tuning the package I randomly received and go something out of wack.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Sounds like the tunes are too lean, creating hot spots on the pistons which causes the damage. Worst thing you can do for an engine is run it too lean. With the next engine, I'd take that tuner off and throw it in the trash. Either just run the factory tune, get in touch with the HemiFever guy (I have no experience with him but see a ton of members here mention they're running his tunes) or buy an unlocked ECU/send yours off to be unlocked and have it custom tuned by a reputable local tuner.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think this has to be either spark knock to much timing and knock sensor sensitivity turned down or running lean.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any advice is appreciated!!! I purchased my first Ram 2018 1500 crew cab 2X4 5.7 Hemi about two years ago used with 80K miles on it. I loved everything about the truck with the exception it could use more braking power. But I figured I’d eventually get there. So about 6 months after purchasing I installed a cold air intake system and did the E.Fan swap. Removed the active shutters, and installed a 180 thermostat Then a tuner by Diablo Sport to control the fan ( prior to me learning about alphaOBD) After considerable conversations with their Team I was finally convinced that installing this tuner using only the pre-programmed tunes on my stock engine was safe to do. I ordered and installed the unlocked ECU, programmed the truck , and absolutely loved it. Tried all the tunes (always use 93 octane and occasionally would run 5 gallons of Sunoco 110 to a full tank) and found the truck really responded well to the middle aggressive tune (think it’s the 91 octane tune) So I kept this tune installed and continued to drive and enjoy my truck. I later installed flowmasters and everything was great for awhile. Then right about 100k miles it threw a misfire code on cylinder number 8 so before I inspected it was getting close to service time and I was planning a trip that following week to Charlotte NC (about 225 miles from Charleston SC ) so I went ahead and purchased all new plugs, oil, filter, antifreeze, new cotton air filter everything needed to perform 100K mile service. When I pulled the plugs from number 8 they were both tapped closed. Very concerning I checked everything I knew to check and couldn’t find anything out of spec. Replaced the plugs with new plugs and finished the service. Now when I cleared the error code for the misfire it didnt return, I went on to dive the truck and everything seemed great. After driving the truck for a couple days before my trip out of town I pulled the plugs out of number 8 just to check it , it went closed and gap was stil where I had gapped it a few days prior. Very strange I thought but continued on with my trip. One of the pre programmed tunes Was a miles per gallon efficiency tune designed for 87 octane fuel. So loaded up and filled up with th low grade gas , programmed the truck right here at the pump, and put my wife in the driver’s seat to make the four hour drive. Turned the MDS back on, and everything went smoothly without a hitch. After the trip once we got off of the highway we stopped to refuel and so I put the high grade fuel back in the tank and put my favorite 91 tune back in the truck as we had about 12-15 more miles to get to our destination, MDS back off and myself back in the drivers seat. I took it easy for about 2-3 miles to let the gas circulate and stopped at a light. Pulled off a little aggressively everything felt normal, ran it on up like a normally do hit the shift point right before the rev limiter I had set at 5,550 and ran it on through the gears. When I got stopped at the next couple of lights the check engine light was flashing , the truck was smoking, clearly burning oil, skipping, misfiring, it was an absolute mess. I limped it on the rest of the trip until we arrived at my brothers laws house where I was then ready to check it out to see what was going on. I immediately pulled number 8 plugs and to my surprise they were wet with oil however still gapped properly. When it time to return home 225 miles away I began calling U-Haul, and all the major rental companies I could tow the truck back home with no body had any trailer or dolly or truck matched to tow my rig home with. The tow companies wanted $1500-$2000 to tow it home for me. I still had good oil pressure , so I made the decision to try and limp it home stopping frequently to add oil as it was burning A lot of oil through number 8 cylinder. We made it to Columbia about 80 miles from home and I stopped and shut it down right there and called for a tow from there it was still $500 but I couldn’t stand another mile of forced damage. I went ahead and just purchased a salvage engine with 34K Miles out of a 2019 classic work truck, put my tune into that engine after I was comfortable everything was good. And I drove this for about 6500 miles when it threw a misfire code on cylinder number 1 I pulled plugs were tapped closed. This brought up all kinds of memories for me. So I kept the original engine with intentions of rebuilding it one day. But after this was starting to happen again I started tearing down the original engine and to my surprise the only thing I could see from carefully inspecting was the piston in cylinder number 8 broke exposing the top ring explaining the oil burning and of course the fragments would’ve shut the gap in the plugs but once the debris was all imbedded into the top of the piston or intake sucked what it wanted and whatever amount my have gone through the exhaust would have gone the plugs wouldn’t have Ben physically effected anylonger. I get it , but now my salvage engine is starting to repeat this pattern, it throwing a multiple cylinder misfire and started to burn oil. I went ahead and pulled the right side he’d off because it indicated misfire in cylinder number 7 and to my surprise the top of piston 7 is broken just like the original motor in cylinder 8. I called the tuning company and they indicate they have never hear of this or had any related issues with their tuning program. I’ve looked across all the forums and you tube outlets I frequent and I just can’t figure out what’s going on with my truck that’s eating piston tops up. Please advise is greatly appreciated. I apologize for being so long I just wanted to make sure I covered all the major details. Thanks

Paragraph breaks would be very helpful.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
prolonged detonation from an over-sparked diablo canned tune? the 87 gas on the 87 tune probably did most of it...
What about this second engine that’s never ran anything other than 93 octane on the 91 tune. And when I started suspecting trouble this 2nd. Time around I started monitoring the knock sensors and I’m not exactly sure what the scale is (voltage or resistance, or millivolts, etc.) but the values would constantly fluctuate between 0.5 - 2.0 and never stay at any value for any length of time like maybe a half second or so . Similar to how an O2 sensor fluctuates. I checked around but couldn’t get a recommended or suggested value as to what they should read. So of course I had to rely on Diablo Sport tuning support, so when I inquired about these values I was told I should only be concerned if I see values that are 4.0 and above or any value that would indicate for any length of time . Like 4.0 and above for more than one second. But I never saw this like I said the highest reading I ever logged and/or witnessed was around 2.0-2.2 maybe but immediately back down. So my thinking is the only sensor the ecu reads to adjust improper timing is these knock sensors. I’m just too new o all of this modern technology and performance tuning but every precaution a reasonable person could and would take to prevent damage to my truck or engine I really feel like I’ve done all the homework and been very skeptical about tuning my engine, way too much to be having these kinds of issues but deep down I know something has failed me with my first performance tuning experience and it’s really unfortunate that so many people can have such great luck with the same tunes I was supposed to receive with my purchase in the performance tuning game. And exactly how much mistiming would / could cause this kind of damage? And would /could I really have never heard the pre-detonation or whatever the conditions are that causes this piston deterioration until a piston breaks and would / could I have missed the wrong timing conditions twice even when looking for such issues. Is this a zero tolerance condition that is a once and done situation.?

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that short term knock or long term? After the PCM see's ST spark knock it will start to permanently pull timing. My truck tuned monotoring with Diablo tuner only ever see's 2.0 St sometimes when climbing a hill at like 2600 rpm with a greene 87 tune running 87 the rest of the time it stays at 0.

Last edited:

Xsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth - I've seen a custom tune, presumably done by Diablo, for a truck that had its original engine swapped for a 6.4 from a low mileage SRT8. The purpose was to adapt the calibrations but keep the original ECU. Long story short - that tune had everything related to knock retard zeroed out. Plus they zeroed out the component protection enrichment. I never figured what could really be the purpose behind such alterations, but I'd say that it's a straight road to a severe engine damage.

This could be your case as well, although I always thought that it was just some sloppy custom job, and their production tunes would be better.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Yeah i apologize this is actually my very first thread on any forum site and I used voice to text a lot of the thread but I will try to remember that thanks
Learn to ignore ****** like that. I'm sure he has a chubby from correcting those who's writing skills are not up to his personal standards, as he hides behind his own weaknesses...

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that short term knock or long term? After the PCM see's ST spark knock it will start to permanently pull timing. My truck tuned monotoring with Diablo tuner only ever see's 2.0 St sometimes when climbing a hill at like 2600 rpm with a greene 87 tune running 87 the rest of the time it stays at 0.
wow thats good to know. no my knock sensors were always actively moving similar to o2 sensor just bouncing all around

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about this second engine that’s never ran anything other than 93 octane on the 91 tune. And when I started suspecting trouble this 2nd. Time around I started monitoring the knock sensors and I’m not exactly sure what the scale is (voltage or resistance, or millivolts, etc.) but the values would constantly fluctuate between 0.5 - 2.0 and never stay at any value for any length of time like maybe a half second or so . Similar to how an O2 sensor fluctuates. I checked around but couldn’t get a recommended or suggested value as to what they should read. So of course I had to rely on Diablo Sport tuning support, so when I inquired about these values I was told I should only be concerned if I see values that are 4.0 and above or any value that would indicate for any length of time . Like 4.0 and above for more than one second. But I never saw this like I said the highest reading I ever logged and/or witnessed was around 2.0-2.2 maybe but immediately back down. So my thinking is the only sensor the ecu reads to adjust improper timing is these knock sensors. I’m just too new o all of this modern technology and performance tuning but every precaution a reasonable person could and would take to prevent damage to my truck or engine I really feel like I’ve done all the homework and been very skeptical about tuning my engine, way too much to be having these kinds of issues but deep down I know something has failed me with my first performance tuning experience and it’s really unfortunate that so many people can have such great luck with the same tunes I was supposed to receive with my purchase in the performance tuning game. And exactly how much mistiming would / could cause this kind of damage? And would /could I really have never heard the pre-detonation or whatever the conditions are that causes this piston deterioration until a piston breaks and would / could I have missed the wrong timing conditions twice even when looking for such issues. Is this a zero tolerance condition that is a once and done situation.?

See post #8.

Pjc87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m running a custom 91 octane tune from hemifever, he had me send him log info with knock sensor, knock sensor 1 and knock sensor 2.
I believe I also sent the lambada stats, the fuel trim stats.
I’ve only noticed my knock sensors reading around 1.0 at the highest so far, but I will watch that a little more closely at higher rpm’s.
What spark plugs were you running in both engines?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If you like replacing engines keep the tuner and buy another engine. I don't like replacing engines so I would ditch the tuner. It appears the tunes are too lean and/or spark overly advanced.

I have never seen a tune advertised to destroy engines so it is no surprise the tuner folks say "We've never seen that before".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock