Poll- Would you buy a Ram again??

Would you buy a Ram again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn’t your 2016 able to be tuned with tuner without having to buy an unlocked computer?

But hell- if I hated that MDS on mine bad enough; and if I wasn’t under lifetime warranty, I’d just buy the unlocked computer and a tuner and shut the **** off.
Yes, I can spend over 1K for a new PCM.
Or, I can just turn it off everytime I drive the truck, which is what I do most of time. Sucks to do on a brand new truck though.

Yes, I can get a tune, but then you need the new PCM as well, correct? That's well over 1K right there.
How trustworthy are these tuners anyways? I do follow them enough like I do for my car.
Sucks to do on a brand new truck though.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get me wrong @corneileous , I love my Ram, it's just the MDS that really drives me up the wall. The recalls suck too, but they're minor to me as I can do without getting them done. No major recalls.
My first Ram, an '05 Ram Daytona rcsb in GoMango, was such an awesome truck, which is why I went back to Ram. This is my second Ram truck.
I'm dying to see a 2019 Ram Sport in the rcsb trim. Hopefully they become available to us in the Great U.S.A. real soon.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I can spend over 1K for a new PCM.
Or, I can just turn it off everytime I drive the truck, which is what I do most of time. Sucks to do on a brand new truck though.

Yes, I can get a tune, but then you need the new PCM as well, correct? That's well over 1K right there.
How trustworthy are these tuners anyways? I do follow them enough like I do for my car.
Sucks to do on a brand new truck though.

Don't get me wrong @corneileous , I love my Ram, it's just the MDS that really drives me up the wall. The recalls suck too, but they're minor to me as I can do without getting them done. No major recalls.
My first Ram, an '05 Ram Daytona rcsb in GoMango, was such an awesome truck, which is why I went back to Ram. This is my second Ram truck.
I'm dying to see a 2019 Ram Sport in the rcsb trim. Hopefully they become available to us in the Great U.S.A. real soon.

I’m not sure what the age new-ness is on our Rams before you have to buy an unlocked PCM but I ran a Diablo Sport T-1000 on my 08 Ram without any problems. Really only bought the SOB to turn the MDS off but I sure did like how it woke up that Hemi on the 91 octane tune.

But I wanna say that Edge Pulsar or something like that allows you to turn that MDS off without actually tuning the computer. Supposedly it tricks the computer into thinking there’s more throttle input than the what they’re actually is, which makes the computer there’s not enough so it gives it more throttle, keeping it off. You might wanna look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure what the age new-ness is on our Rams before you have to buy an unlocked PCM but I ran a Diablo Sport T-1000 on my 08 Ram without any problems. Really only bought the SOB to turn the MDS off but I sure did like how it woke up that Hemi on the 91 octane tune.

But I wanna say that Edge Pulsar or something like that allows you to turn that MDS off without actually tuning the computer. Supposedly it tricks the computer into thinking there’s more throttle input than the what they’re actually is, which makes the computer there’s not enough so it gives it more throttle, keeping it off. You might wanna look into that.
I may look into it with Nick@GotExhaust. I could always use a killer 93 octane tune as well as shut off the MDS. The truck would be a beast. Or, should I say,........more beastly. lol
I have the extended warranty on my truck.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2015 and newer require an unlocked PCM. At least with the RAM you can turn it off via the steering wheel buttons unlike the Chevy where you need a Range device or a tuner.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting question. This is my third Ram, the first two were diesel heavy duties. When this truck, 2017 1500 Limited, is worn out it will depend what is being offered by Ram and it's competition. I can say there is no way I will go near a GM product, even at gunpoint. Owned two previously, both corvettes, (88 & 94), and want no part of them. If/when Ram puts a version of the 8-speed into their gas heavy duties, I'd go back to a 2500 so equipped in a heartbeat.

If I had to replace this truck today, I would take a serious, hard look at Ford. Yeah, the 5.0 is relatively gutless at the RPM ranges we typically see compared to the 5.7, and the Eco Boosts can develop timing chain issues if OCI's are neglected as well as needing the turbo's replaced at some point, but the 5.7 is not without it's concerns as well. Although my engine is butter smooth and quiet running a heavier, high moly oil (though not Redline), will it still develop the dreaded "tick" at some point? How long will the lifters and camshaft last in this motor even running a heavier high moly oil? How long will the air suspension in mine remain trouble free? Those are concerns I have every time I fire mine up, though the truck does perform flawlessly now with plenty of power when needed. It rides great, and the air suspension handles loads and a heavy trailer superbly.

There would be trade offs with an F150, but I would have to give it a very hard look, if I needed to replace this Ram today.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might depending on what the new rcsb Ram Sport looks like.
I'm dying to see one, either in photos or in person. I think Canada is the only Country at the moment that has the new 2019 Ram Sport available. Anyone know why that is?

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I might depending on what the new rcsb Ram Sport looks like.
I'm dying to see one, either in photos or in person. I think Canada is the only Country at the moment that has the new 2019 Ram Sport available. Anyone know why that is?
Is it becouse of the eTorque problem? I don't know if the Sport model only can be ordered with the Hemi!??

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Our 2018 2500 6.4 6sp CC will be the last new truck we buy at our age. Have had 5 other Dodge/Ram trucks. From 86 to 2007, great trucks. Great service and reliability. Not sure this 2018 will do as well.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it becouse of the eTorque problem? I don't know if the Sport model only can be ordered with the Hemi!??
I don't think so. I think I saw that someone has a 2019 Hemi Sport up in Canada. It's the 4 door truck.
I'm dying to see the rcsb 2019 Ram Sport truck. It's going to look so, so good!

tractorfix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove 72-93 trucks for many many years. I finally took a plunge and sold my beloved 1gen and bought a 2018 2500. I factory ordered it and so far love it. Then last week I was at the dealership and got a deal I couldn't refuse on a 2018 1500 Limited demo. So now I have 2. And I'm still not done. been thinking of selling off some of my oldies and buying a bare bones 1500 express reg cab for a fun thing to monkey around with.

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Big

Big Mistake... I mean announcing that to her cause if you get one she's gonna want one too:D

Damn, you may have a point there. haha

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th one for myself , 1999, 2003, 2013, 2016, and now 2019 bighorn and loved the hard to beat Ram and I work my 1500 hard and they just kept giving. Oil, tires. wipers and washes are the only things that get done by me for these Rams and rest is by the refineries to keep them in the go mode.. :)
How many miles did you put on the 13 and the 16 and did you have any issues??

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Getting used to all the new bells/whistles and safety stuff took some time, but as far as Ram vs other brands, no contest. There was definitely something awesome about my '01 1500 (aside from the rust and leaks) but I thoroughly enjoy my truck....

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I have a 2018 and by the time I'm done flogging the **** out of it everyday, I'll need a few more new ones. :)