PowerStop or StopTech??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 1500 4x4 Limited with 61k miles. I just took it in for oil change, tire rotation etc.. The Manager came out and told me that I have 2mm left on front brakes and 4mm on the rear. They are all original pads/rotors so i'm not really surprised. I'm going to replace the pads and rotors with Drilled and Slotted and Ceramic pads front and rear. I see alot of people on this forum have switched to PowerStop (probably the Z36 kit). Has anyone used StopTech or have an opinion on them? I've heard they're a great option but wondering why most use PowerStop on here. I priced both front/rear kits and they are within $30 - so cost isn't a factor. Thanks for any info.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wagner oex, zero dust like in 2 years, never even washed my rims in 2 years and no dust. Stopped way better then oem.

The channels are great for towing and heat build up.

OIP.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
On my 2009 Ram 1500, i installed StopTech, because that is what they put on the Public Service vehicles around here.

I had the pads edges chamfered & scuffed up to work well with the machined rotors

After driving a few hundred miles, i was very disappointed
By the way, i never brake hard, unless it has to be done to avoid something

I thought that i had images of the parts installed, but i don't

n466.jpg
sueg.jpg

I found one, i also had shocks put on at the same time, i had 100,000 miles on that truck when all this was done
yt6u.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjscharlotte

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
GTYankee - what didn't you like about them. Are the rotors pictured the StopTechs? They don't look slotted/drilled.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my factory pads with Wagner OEX at around 65k miles as my OEM pads were squealing pretty terribly. The OEX pads made an incredible difference in stopping ability, in addition to no more squeal and no brake dust. Unfortunately for me, at some point my rotors warped, so I just replaced everything last week. I went with the powerstop slotted/drilled rotors and pads. It is so nice being able to stop without feeling like you're going to chip a tooth from the shaking in the truck. This is the kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FL2T3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything you need is in the kit. Fair word of warning, grab a dolly when you move it from wherever the delivery driver leaves it to the garage. I did not, and stupidly just picked it up and carried it, and my back still isnt back to normal. The weight/dims on the listing are incorrect. It is a much bigger box than 14x14x10 and it sure weights more than 52lbs.

I cannot comment on the stoptech.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I went with Callahan drilled/slotted rotors & pads but tossed their pads in favor of Wagner OEX.
The rotors shipped from....Powerstop!
All 4 for $187, another $100 for the OEX pads, and done for under $300.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The rotors in my images, are the stock rotors
They were machined on both sides

The reason that i did not care for the Stop Tech brake pads was all the brake dust & after driving a couple thousand miles, i seemed to get brake chatter
I only kept that Ram for another 40,000 miles after the 100,000 mile brake job, the new owner is still driving with the same setup
I only got rid of that Ram because it had 140, 000 miles & it was over 7 years old.
When i buy a new truck, i only keep it for 7 years, because i run a business & the truck is what makes me the money, i get paid by the mile to drive my truck

img1000c.jpg

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
StopTech Cryo Brake Rotors

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

RichEss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 1500 4x4 Limited with 61k miles. I just took it in for oil change, tire rotation etc.. The Manager came out and told me that I have 2mm left on front brakes and 4mm on the rear. They are all original pads/rotors so i'm not really surprised. I'm going to replace the pads and rotors with Drilled and Slotted and Ceramic pads front and rear. I see alot of people on this forum have switched to PowerStop (probably the Z36 kit). Has anyone used StopTech or have an opinion on them? I've heard they're a great option but wondering why most use PowerStop on here. I priced both front/rear kits and they are within $30 - so cost isn't a factor. Thanks for any info.

I have about 15k on mine, front and rear, absolutely love them, had them on my Durango RT also, will get them again.

ctrevino8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro Blue Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything but R1 concepts! I was torn between powerstop and R1 for my RAM and decided on R1 because at the time, they were the only company that sold aftermarket rotors for my wife's Lexus RC350 F-sport aside from the dealer at $400 each and they gave me a good deal for both vehicles, Drilled and slotted with their black coating for mine and slotted black for hers and ceramic series pads for both. I was also sold on the fact that the sales rep said these would be a big improvement over stock for both vehicles. Damn was he wrong! After installing and bedding the brakes in properly, braking distance increased on both vehicles, hers almost doubled to the point it was unsafe. in addition to the increased braking distance, the brake dust is horrible and the black coating has turned white and looks terrible behind black wheels. talked to their customer service and was told the pads that were sold to me were the wrong pads so they sent me different pads for both vehicles. After bedding the new pads in per their procedure, braking distance improved on my truck, and slightly on her car but the dust is horrible. talked to customer service again and this time was told that their technical dept advised that "their brakes are not really compatible with my wife's car that "They fit and will work, but they do not come close to stock performance and recommend buying OEM pads and rotors from Lexus" I have done countless brake jobs on all of my own vehicles as well as numerous friends and family vehicles and have never had this kind of issue even with the cheapest off brand from the local parts store. I wish I had just gone with my gut and done Powerstop or Stoptech, hell anything but R1.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Powerstop all 4 corners on my 11 at around 70k. 150k now, still good. I did rotors, and pads the towing version of the pads. Very satisfied, have towed, rain, snow ice, heat. Always stopped all the time. Low dust, good performance.

Would recommend

NL74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything but R1 concepts! I was torn between powerstop and R1 for my RAM and decided on R1 because at the time, they were the only company that sold aftermarket rotors for my wife's Lexus RC350 F-sport aside from the dealer at $400 each and they gave me a good deal for both vehicles, Drilled and slotted with their black coating for mine and slotted black for hers and ceramic series pads for both. I was also sold on the fact that the sales rep said these would be a big improvement over stock for both vehicles. Damn was he wrong! After installing and bedding the brakes in properly, braking distance increased on both vehicles, hers almost doubled to the point it was unsafe. in addition to the increased braking distance, the brake dust is horrible and the black coating has turned white and looks terrible behind black wheels. talked to their customer service and was told the pads that were sold to me were the wrong pads so they sent me different pads for both vehicles. After bedding the new pads in per their procedure, braking distance improved on my truck, and slightly on her car but the dust is horrible. talked to customer service again and this time was told that their technical dept advised that "their brakes are not really compatible with my wife's car that "They fit and will work, but they do not come close to stock performance and recommend buying OEM pads and rotors from Lexus" I have done countless brake jobs on all of my own vehicles as well as numerous friends and family vehicles and have never had this kind of issue even with the cheapest off brand from the local parts store. I wish I had just gone with my gut and done Powerstop or Stoptech, hell anything but R1.
Thank you. I have been looking at Powerstop and R1 for my RAM. Looking to do them early summer. I think you just convinced me to go with PowerStop. Just need to decide if I want the Z36 or the Z23. Don't really tow anything more than a small 4x8 trailer once or twice a year at most.

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Had a buddy with a ctsv and I put the R1 rotors and pads on it. Had the same results with his.

Lil John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to hear about your experience with the R1 brakes . I got mine from Nick and I noticed a decent improvement over stock and I certainly don't have dust issues.

Personally I would recommend the R1 package I paired it with new oem calipers and stainless flex lines and I flushed the whole system with new fluid l. This was all fine at 85k and in now close to 100k..