Pro Comp Shocks Blown...Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

395Blackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 that was dealer modified with a Pro Comp 6” lift kit. As such, all warranty work is covered by them just like a truck off the line. That’s a good thing because...

I have blown three shocks - two on the passenger side, and one on the driver’s side. I never been off-road, (ya, I know), and have less than 80,000km on the truck but I have three huge oil stains on my concrete driveway.

The parts guy at the dealership has been less than helpful. I am looking for some feedback on a different product, even if that means I have to pay out of pocket.

-Is it a problem with the shock Pro Comp uses in the kit? Any one else has this issue?
-Is it a problem in how the dealership installed the lift kit? I know this is speculative.
-Could Bilstein shocks be easily used with the Pro Comp lift kit?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've mostly heard good things on procomp shocks ...?

What lift exactly did you're dealer install ?
And what are the specs of the lift ?
What tires and wheels specs are you running ?

Thanks !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
395Blackout

395Blackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For wheels, I’m running 35” x 12.5” MTs on 20” LRG rims. The lift, since I didn’t install it, I’m don’t know much about. From what I remember reading the PC lifts for Rams were either 4” or 6”. Mine is the 6”...I’m going to have to dig out some paperwork that i have on it. Anyone know if another brand of shocks can be used?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one that blew out shortly after the lift was installed. I'm running same lift and wheels as you. Been over a year and a half and no problems since. Would you happen to know which procomp shocks you have?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know if another brand of shocks can be used?

You can use the same Bilstein rear shocks I used with my 6" BDS kit, you will have to buy/use the bushing kit as well, call superlift and get a quote for everything. These are the same shocks/bushings that come on the Superlift 6" kit.

Bilstein 5100 46MM rear shocks P/N 33-185569 w/superlift P/N 77-80038...qty 2 for each P/N

Another option are Fox Shocks P/N 98450759 from zone offroad
http://zoneoffroad.com/fox-shox-2.0-adventure-series-shock/98450759

35339205-E012-4C85-BF90-5A8432AC5558.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
395Blackout

395Blackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updating this...

@ 80,000km the dealer replaced all 4 shocks as it turns out the rear ones were in need of replacement...(that brings the total to 5 total shock replacements and the dealer now tells me I’m on my own for any further repairs to the suspension kit but Pro Comp will honour their lifetime warranty on materials).

@ 124,000km the front shocks are both blown and I have oil stains on my driveway to prove it....that means I’ve now gone through a total of 7 Pro Comp shocks in about 3 years of driving.

I’m at a loss to explain this. Pro Comp seems to be a reputable company and in my searches I have not heard of anyone have repeated failures like this.

Any direction is helpful, I’m not mechanically inclined and this is my first lifted truck. I thought buying a brand new truck modified by the dealership would protect me against stuff like this and boy was I wrong.

Thanks

Supa Will

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi HD
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 that was dealer modified with a Pro Comp 6” lift kit. As such, all warranty work is covered by them just like a truck off the line. That’s a good thing because...

I have blown three shocks - two on the passenger side, and one on the driver’s side. I never been off-road, (ya, I know), and have less than 80,000km on the truck but I have three huge oil stains on my concrete driveway.

The parts guy at the dealership has been less than helpful. I am looking for some feedback on a different product, even if that means I have to pay out of pocket.

-Is it a problem with the shock Pro Comp uses in the kit? Any one else has this issue?
-Is it a problem in how the dealership installed the lift kit? I know this is speculative.
-Could Bilstein shocks be easily used with the Pro Comp lift kit?

Thanks

I just got rid of a Chevy 1500 that was factory lifted. Both front shocks blew out when I was driving it. Scared the hell outta me and screwed up the front end really bad, I was going about 30 mph when it happened. I thought I was gonna die, seriously.......they should cover it. I would take it to another Ram Dealer cause that’s BS.

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I don’t think the rears are ever a problem but I do know that procomp has been having issues with their front pro runner series under normal conditions. I read online that others were having the same issue. Not sure on what the lifespan is on these particular shocks but if the dealership initially replaced all 4 I’d just write that off as age. But definitely steer clear of the fronts.

What’s weird was that I never noticed a particular blow out point. Just one day it seemed a little more rocky than usual and the front end was creaking like crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
395Blackout

395Blackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the replies, gents.

So I’ve decided to go with Bilstein shocks in the front. The dealer will help me out on labour costs which is ok.

However, I apparently need to source the lower “cup” that comes off an OEM shock. I have no idea what they need and they weren’t willing/able to describe it to me or direct me to where I can find one.

Any direction here is appreciated.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies, gents.

So I’ve decided to go with Bilstein shocks in the front. The dealer will help me out on labour costs which is ok.

However, I apparently need to source the lower “cup” that comes off an OEM shock. I have no idea what they need and they weren’t willing/able to describe it to me or direct me to where I can find one.

Any direction here is appreciated.

Don’t get 5100s. I know they’re gods answer to shocks on here bc they’re cheap and provide lift but...

I regret mine and they handle bumps poorly. And I’m not talking Offroad. My trucks never been on more than some grass.

With my 5100s they don’t even like bridge expansion joints or small potholes without giving a poor reaction.

Or maybe it’s the rears? All I know is when I have time my trucks getting a full front coil over/rear shock upgrade bc it needs one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba