Question for 4.88 guys with 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm anxiously awaiting your towing update. I'm still seriously considering a regear for towing. I'm not stock size tires, but really would like some more bottom end.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
In my experience with my ‘16 power wagon, when in tow/haul mode the trans will never go into 6th gear. With my 8000 pound travel trailer it will rarely go into 5th unless its slight downhill grade. With light trailers it will hit 5th all the time, but I have never seen 6th in tow/haul. Even With light/moderate throttle on low downward slopes.
Um...that’s because tow/haul eliminates 6th year altogether, no matter what the driving conditions are...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Um...that’s because tow/haul eliminates 6th year altogether, no matter what the driving conditions are...

Yea, thats what I figured. And Im sure it was designed that way for a reason. Thats why I was suggesting using tow/haul mode when towing heavy, so 6th gear would not be used.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I could have sworn that mine would shift into 6th in T/H when under light throttle cruising, usually around 55mph. Anything faster or on hilly terrain and it would pretty much stay in 5th, but I could swear that it would shift into 6th for long flat strips with my 16' trailer. Maybe Im mistaken though. Its been a while since my truck was stock. Been hauling this bed around for over 2 years.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive tried getting my truck to go into 6th gear with tow haul mode in the past. Even without a trailer it wouldn't do it. Maybe you have to be traveling the perfect speed? I just assumed it locks it out.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just an FYI.

I ordered a ProCal from AEV and used it to set the 35 inch tire size and new gear ratio Of 4.88 in my Ram 3500. It made a big difference in the smoothness if shifting, shift points, and power delivery. ‘Noticeable immediately after using it, but even bigger improvement after driving the truck a couple days. I used the ProCal after driving the truck over 500 miles with the new gear change just to be sure the difference wasn’t just the truck learning how to drive once again with the gear change.

I’m sure whatever programmer you use that will set these parameters will work great. I just chose AEV as they seem to be a trustworthy company with good products. I haven’t tried any other unit.

How do you set this up for your specific tire size and gear ratio. I don’t see any buttons or screen on this when I look it up on AEV’s website

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I could have sworn that mine would shift into 6th in T/H when under light throttle cruising, usually around 55mph. Anything faster or on hilly terrain and it would pretty much stay in 5th, but I could swear that it would shift into 6th for long flat strips with my 16' trailer. Maybe Im mistaken though. Its been a while since my truck was stock. Been hauling this bed around for over 2 years.
Nope, tow haul eliminates 6th gear completely.

Reactions: U&A

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you set this up for your specific tire size and gear ratio. I don’t see any buttons or screen on this when I look it up on AEV’s website

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

By using some dip switches on back side.

122D25AE-4BB5-4DD6-A5C5-A0F94DA92FF8.jpeg

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tow haul does not lock out 6th gear. Some trucks will need to go at least 65 or so. I am talking about Diesel trucks. Mine definitely shifts to 6th in Tow Haul. I can lock it out when needed as so can the 66RFE.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Tow haul does not lock out 6th gear. Some trucks will need to go at least 65 or so. I am talking about Diesel trucks. Mine definitely shifts to 6th in Tow Haul. I can lock it out when needed as so can the 66RFE.
Yes it does. It is specifically mentioned as one of the features of tow/haul. Overdrive is eliminated when tow/haul is engaged. 1500-5500, it doesn’t matter.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It must be a 6.7 vs 6.4 thing. Or maybe it changed for a few year models, Cause I can run 85 in tow haul and it wont go past 5th. I think my old 2009 6.7 would in fact go into 6th though.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes it does. It is specifically mentioned as one of the features of tow/haul. Overdrive is eliminated when tow/haul is engaged. 1500-5500, it doesn’t matter.
Would it be possible for you to point me in the direction of your information regarding this. From what I have been reading it is different from your thoughts. There are a few comments on the Cummins Forum stating otherwise. Also my Truck most definitely makes a shift with a lower RPM at 61 mph. Thanks

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Would it be possible for you to point me in the direction of your information regarding this. From what I have been reading it is different from your thoughts. There are a few comments on the Cummins Forum stating otherwise. Also my Truck most definitely makes a shift with a lower RPM at 61 mph. Thanks
Overdrive will not activate with the TH mode on. Get your truck up to speed, then hit the down arrow on the ERS selector and I’ll bet you a bar tab your gauge cluster says 5, not 6. Others suggesting the truck will go into 6th in TH mode are incorrect. It’s a feature that is fundamental to the system of TH. It is designed to help eliminate fear hunting, and one way of doing that is to eliminate overdrive from the shift mapping. Trust me, I know what I’m talking about ;)

9171BE0D-EAB2-4471-ABC7-62E563EFEC95.png

What you’re likely experiencing with the RPM drop is the torque converter clutch engaging and disengaging. Not an actual gear.

51731FBE-D642-4B42-B6DE-53AEA530A045.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, simply place the the gear selector in sixth, and it will tell you what gear its in.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Found this on the Allpar site. A “Tow/Haul” mode allowed faster, crisper shifts, to reduce wear. Under partial throttle, shifting into gears above third was delayed; and the system was likely to kick down under part throttle into fourth and fifth. The Tow/Haul mode still allowed overdrive unless the driver locked it out

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I tested mine this morning. Was doing 80 in 5th gear, no trailer with tow haul on. It would only go into 6th when I would hit tow haul off. It would down shift when I turned it back on.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nope, tow haul eliminates 6th gear completely.
********. Absolute ********. I don't know where you came up with this nonsense but it absolutely does not lock out 6th gear, either with or without a trailer connected. e74b6c40c2ce838fbd55ef6e0a1a89de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
********. Absolute ********. I don't know where you came up with this nonsense but it absolutely does not lock out 6th gear, either with or without a trailer connected. e74b6c40c2ce838fbd55ef6e0a1a89de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dude, you drive a diesel. That's probably the difference.