Ram 1500 BW44-44 transfer case - which is the correct Mopar fluid? What about aftermarket fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I have a 2016 RAM 1500, Big Horn, with the 5.7 HEMI and BW44-44 transfer case. There are two Mopar fluids for this transfer case:

• for BW44-44 transfer cases pre-2016: 68089195AA
  • for BW44-44 transfer cases 2016 or newer: 68049954AC
My first conundrum is this: my truck was actually manufactured sometime in mid-2015 or the second half of 2015 for the 2016 model year. So, do I go by the model year or by the manufacturing year? Because with FCA (now Stellantis), you never know.

So then I decided to look up the transfer case part number, and sure enough, it's Mopar 68360094AC, which is suitable for Ram 1500 Classic trucks built between 2011 all the way up to 2020. This part number replaces a bunch of other part numbers:
52123492AB, 52123492AC, 52123492AD, 52123492AE, 68292013AA, 68292013AB, 68292013AC, 68292013AD, 68360094AA, 68360094AB, RL123492AB, RL123492AC, RL123492AD, RL123492AE, RL292013AA​

So let's say I have to replace my BW44-44 transfer case with a brand new one because my old one went wrong, and I get a Mopar 68360094AC BW44-44 transfer case. Which Mopar transfer case fluid do I use? Do I go by the truck's build year? I am sure that by now, you guys can see the idiocy of this.

I have never seen a bottle of 68049954AC, so I have no clue what viscosity grade it is. But on the back of 68089195AA, it says "ISO 32 viscosity grade," which essentially is low viscosity ATF, similar to Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF. Does anyone here know if Mopar 68049954AC is a thicker ATF, like Amsoil Red, for example, which, strangely enough, is what Amsoil recommends for all BW44-44 transfer cases, when in fact, Amsoil Blue is their low viscosity ATF.

I have a preference for Redline fluids, knowing their commitment to genuine synthetic oils. So I emailed Mr. David Grandquist at Redline Oil asking about what they recommend for the BW44-44 transfer case. Knowing that both Amsoil and Castrol had a recommendation for the BW44-44 transfer case, I was a bit shocked when I received his reply:

We don’t offer a recommendation for the BW 44-44 transfer case fluid specifically because the requirements aren’t released and our additive supplier doesn’t offer a suitable package. As far as what is so special it is hard to say for sure. These unique transfer case fluids often are developed with critical and specific frictional characteristics to provide desired operation performance. In transfer cases where a unique fluid is called for and the exact qualities are not available we don’t offer a recommendation.

I am not so much against paying for the overpriced Mopar fluids, as I want to get the best wear protection. I mean, I might as well get a bottle of Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant along with a jug of Valvoline MaxLife ATF if that gives me the best protection and smoothest engagement. I find it so weird that Castrol recommends both low viscosity ATF and regular Multi-Vehicle ATF for the BW44-44 case, while Amsoil recommends the thicker ATF fluid for this application. What is the correct fluid that I need to use? What are you guys using? If I buy the expensive Mopar fluid, which one do I need to get? I mean, spending Redline money on Mopar fluids is kind of sacrilege to me.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You'd need the 2016+ fluid. 2015 and later are different clutch packs that don't require a friction modifier like the 2016+ trucks. I run synthetic ATF in my 2015 no problems at all. I mean seeing y I ur buikd year it seems like a grey area.... [emoji51] Play roulette or get the new tcase fluid from dodge is basically your only bet. I know the new stuff is also comparable in the older 44-44 though. Comes down to what you feel is best.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
You'd need the 2016+ fluid. 2015 and later are different clutch packs that don't require a friction modifier like the 2016+ trucks.

I understand that, and probably you're lucky that you have a 2015 because the choice is easier. As soon as it stops raining, I will crawl under my truck and see if I can make out the part number on the BW44-44 t-case, maybe it will offer some insight, and I might be able to compare with others here who have different model years. It seems a complete clusterf*ck on FCA's part.

This begs the question: what if I replace my t-case with a brand new BW44-44 part number Mopar 68360094AC? This one is for trucks made from 2011 all the way up to 2020. Which fluid do I use then?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I understand that, and probably you're lucky that you have a 2015 because the choice is easier. As soon as it stops raining, I will crawl under my truck and see if I can make out the part number on the BW44-44 t-case, maybe it will offer some insight, and I might be able to compare with others here who have different model years. It seems a complete clusterf*ck on FCA's part.

This begs the question: what if I replace my t-case with a brand new BW44-44 part number Mopar 68360094AC? This one is for trucks made from 2011 all the way up to 2020. Which fluid do I use then?
You'd be forced to use the new dodge fluid as i doubt they have any old stock from 2011-2015. If that's the case they'd be using the new 2016 friction discs and clutch packs in the new case. Last I looked (2yrs ago) the old fluid for the 2015 and older is suoerceded and can't be bought anymore only the new 2016+ oil. It's so messed up how they did this. [emoji58]

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
You'd be forced to use the new dodge fluid as i doubt they have any old stock from 2011-2015. If that's the case they'd be using the new 2016 friction discs and clutch packs in the new case. Last I looked (2yrs ago) the old fluid for the 2015 and older is suoerceded and can't be bought anymore only the new 2016+ oil. It's so messed up how they did this. emoji58.png

Thank you for your reply. Actually, if you look in the Mopar Chemical Catalog for 2021, both part numbers are listed: 68089195AA (pre-2016) and 68049954AC (2016+). It gets even worse because in many places, including Amazon and eBay, the pre-2016 fluid is readily available, while the 2016+ fluid is harder to get. It's so weird...

I'm wondering what the big deal is with the clutch pack and friction modifiers because this isn't anything like a mechanical limited-slip differential. The clutch in the BW44-44 is electronically engaged, I believe by a little motor attached to the transfer case. I don't imagine it can really tell the difference between various fluids.

I want to do a coolant flush and install a 180F thermostat, so I bought Mopar 10 year concentrated anti-freeze. I'm not big on Mopar branded fluids, but that's actually decent stuff and I got it for the same price as Peak Global Extended Life. As for their other fluids, I couldn't care less.

Back to the BW44-44: that clutch engages the front wheels, and it's computer-controlled. RAM didn't want for the clutch to prematurely wear out, so even if the 4WD lock is engaged, your front wheels will be disconnected any time you turn the steering wheel and under some other scenarios I can't remember. This makes me think that the specific fluid requirement is more of a money-making move for them rather than a strict requirement.

What kind of ATF are you using in yours?

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Fortunately two years ago I built a plug and play system for the 44-44 that allows you the user to lock the clutches at any time, I use it like a diff locker.

Pretty cool, is that the 12-Volt mod? Maybe when you can or if you want to share some pictures of how you set it up. Did you add a switch to the dashboard maybe?

I use Castrol transmax atf4 I ratbag my tcase so I change every 15-20k just because your clutches can only grab as hard as your fluid allows.

Castrol specs the same fluid for all Ram 1500 trucks with the BW44-44 case, and in fact, they offer two choices. This makes me think that the fluid isn't such a big deal, and is more like a money-making scheme for them.

I believe that Mr. David Grandquist's response that they don't offer a suitable fluid for the BW44-44 was more out of pure caution and possible liability issues than anything else. I bet that any of their ATFs would work. Personally, if I would work the truck really hard and wasn't so poor at the moment, I'd feel up my transfer case with their High Temp ATF. But I don't think it's a good time to experiment. However, the D4 and C+ ATFs should do well in the BW44-44, and 2 oz. of Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant should add any missing additives for good measure.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
No it works with the factory system so no lights or anything come on. Basically plug and play run my switch to where you want it and done.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Amsoil SS Red cap ATF meets and exceeds Mopar’s unicorn potion.

Thanks for the info. I really like the truck in your signature, looks menacing, sinister, and cool.

I remember I saw a post a while back about you changing your transmission fluid. I got 4 gallons of Amsoil ATF Blue Cap and I want to buy a PPE ZF8 oil pan. Do you know how I can get all the original Lifeguard 8 fluid out of my transmission so I don't mix it with the Amsoil? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When in doubt it becomes the consumers risk assessment versus benefit how to proceed. Safe play is always stick with oem, but we do have guys running other oils and they say the TC operates better. Maybe @Hemi395 will pop in, he has tried two plus oem. I do wish we had a uoa of mopar fluid, that will tell the tale. I really would like to know more about Dave's statement, what exactly is their suppliers issue.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I really would like to know more about Dave's statement, what exactly is their suppliers issue.

His initial reply was that Redline Oil didn't have fluid for the BW44-44 transfer case. I replied back asking what was so special about the BW44-44 fluid and what I posted in my initial was his reply to that.

Here are my two cents: Redline fluids are every bit as good as Amsoil, if not better. Where they differ is in how each approaches customers. Amsoil knows that their fluids are good and they know that they will work in most, if not all, transfer cases. Redline is more cautious and they figure that the few sales that they will make in transfer case fluid don't warrant all the testing and hard work because it might never pay off, not to mention the possible liability implication if they make a blanket recommendation. In fact, I replied back to David and thanked him for his honesty. They sure are a great company, and I take honesty over salesmanship any day :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used Amsoil MVATF in my 2013 44-44 as well as Redline C+. I saw 0 difference in the way the clutches operated and it shifted into and out of 4Low much smoother.

I did a VOA on the pre 2016 Mopar fluid and it's virtually the same fluid as Dex3. That's not hard evidence for sure that it is Dex 3 but it is does suggest its very similar.

I dont know if that would work in the 2016+ 44-44s but I suspect it would be just fine.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Thank you @Hemi395. I suspect that they changed suppliers, probably multiple times, either that, or they went with a thicker viscosity. I don't see them going lower than ISO 32 viscosity, I doubt there is ATF thinner than that. For sure I would love to see a VOA/UOA for 2016+ fluid. They removed the ISO viscosity specification from the 2016+ bottles. My two cents: it's just a thicker fluid to protect the transfer case better. I remember that I read on another forum (or maybe here) about someone who had a pre-2016 truck and the transfer case kept overheating, so he changed the fluid to Redline C+ ATF and it was running buttery smooth. Well, that's not exactly low viscosity ATF, so it makes sense. That 1.5 quarts of fluid gets pretty beat up in there :D

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you @Hemi395. I suspect that they changed suppliers, probably multiple times, either that, or they went with a thicker viscosity. I don't see them going lower than ISO 32 viscosity, I doubt there is ATF thinner than that. For sure I would love to see a VOA/UOA for 2016+ fluid. They removed the ISO viscosity specification from the 2016+ bottles. My two cents: it's just a thicker fluid to protect the transfer case better. I remember that I read on another forum (or maybe here) about someone who had a pre-2016 truck and the transfer case kept overheating, so he changed the fluid to Redline C+ ATF and it was running buttery smooth. Well, that's not exactly low viscosity ATF, so it makes sense. That 1.5 quarts of fluid gets pretty beat up in there :D
No problem[emoji106]

I agree, 1.5 qts of fluid that is always being spun around while driving gets beat up pretty good.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Back to the BW44-44: that clutch engages the front wheels, and it's computer-controlled. RAM didn't want for the clutch to prematurely wear out, so even if the 4WD lock is engaged, your front wheels will be disconnected any time you turn the steering wheel and under some other scenarios I can't remember. This makes me think that the specific fluid requirement is more of a money-making move for them rather than a strict requirement.

What kind of ATF are you using in yours?

I've read this over the years and have owned two late model Ram 1500 4x4s with the BW44-44. A 2017 and my current 2019 classic. Neither had auto mode for the 4x4. If I have 4x4 on and try to make a turn on dry pavement, you can hear and feel it binding. To me it doesn't feel like there's any clutch pack allowing for slip in the T-case at all.

OP
OP
Rod Knock

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I've read this over the years and have owned two late model Ram 1500 4x4s with the BW44-44. A 2017 and my current 2019 classic. Neither had auto mode for the 4x4. If I have 4x4 on and try to make a turn on dry pavement, you can hear and feel it binding. To me it doesn't feel like there's any clutch pack allowing for slip in the T-case at all.

Do you have the BW44-44 or the BW44-45 transfer case?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hear ya. I've seen that video and I have no reason to doubt it, I'm just going by how it feels in 4x4 in my 2017 and 2019 Ram 1500s. I would think if 4x4 is completely dis-engaged with some steering angle input, we should be able to drive in 4x4 on dry pavement all the time. I know we can't, or shouldn't.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
that is interesting, you should be designing stuff over there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock