RAM / FIAT Settlement truck buy back...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieMoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ABS light stayed on while driving, service trailer brake light stayed on while driving, truck had a deep vibration felt in the steering wheel and pedal over 45 mph. Felt like transmission related. So they did a software flash on the TCM, rebuilt the rear axle. It took them about 3 days but that first day they were testing it trying to find out what the problem was. At first, they said it was electrical issues. Everything was covered under the manufacturers warranty so it was free. Btw i do have a warranty but its a third party one from the dealer (Apex Protection). I will be canceling and getting a chrysler maxcare warranty

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**** my doesn't have anywhere near those problems and they had my truck for almost 2 weeks now. And still can't figure out the problem

dram1501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like you may have to trade towards another dodge unless i misread the article.

Kingshouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sry for dragging up this old post but I can’t get an answer from my dealer. I currently have a 2012 ram 2500 4x4. It still has a recall number 15v-459 (R36) and 14v-635(p65). I believe it still qualifies for the buyback or am I mistaken? And I am the original owner.

The dealer pretty much told me tuff luck, we can’t help you.

I contacted customer service and got put off for a few days.

Kinda irritating. Just hoping for some insight.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
There may be a statute of limitations concerning the buy-back.

I do know that the Statute of Limitations on recalls in general (to provide free-of-charge repair work) is 10 years in the US (though states can extend it if they legislatively do so.) The one exceptions is for tire recalls, which is 60 days maximum. This time period is also often known as a Statute of Repose. Now if an injury or damage occurs from a recall condition, the Statute of Repose is 15 years in many states, but it can vary.

However, for buy-backs, I'm willing to wager that it's much, much shorter.

Also, Devil's Advocate: As the original owner, unless you moved around a lot and avoided all Chrysler/FCA dealerships the whole time, you had to have been notified about this one way or the other, way back when they announced it, and I think (not sure) that offer has a statute or repose the same length as the lemon laws in your state, with maybe a year or two tacked on.

*Nope, not a lawyer, so take all this with a block of salt. Note that the link I posted up there provides phone numbers and site addresses for more information on how to obtain remedy and/or relief - or if you have any coming.

Last edited:

Kingshouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My understanding was the only part that had time limitations was the part about trade-ins.
And yes at the time I was moving around a lot following the oilfield and only knew about the buy back through the news.
I also tried bringing it in to get the issue fixed and was told that I would need to leave my truck and it would be a minimum of two weeks. At the time that wasn’t an option. Kinda dropped the issue for quite a while

And if there is a time limitation I would have thought the dealer would have known that. But, they acted like they knew nothing about the original buyback. I showed them articles and showed the vin check. They were a bit short with me and gave me the tuff luck routine. Kinda irritating

I’ll follow through until I get a definitive answer. But, telling me they know nothing about it will not suffice for me.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding was the only part that had time limitations was the part about trade-ins.
And yes at the time I was moving around a lot following the oilfield and only knew about the buy back through the news.
I also tried bringing it in to get the issue fixed and was told that I would need to leave my truck and it would be a minimum of two weeks. At the time that wasn’t an option. Kinda dropped the issue for quite a while

And if there is a time limitation I would have thought the dealer would have known that. But, they acted like they knew nothing about the original buyback. I showed them articles and showed the vin check. They were a bit short with me and gave me the tuff luck routine. Kinda irritating

I’ll follow through until I get a definitive answer. But, telling me they know nothing about it will not suffice for me.
One thing I would keep in mind is how long employees work places, and the people who are CURRENTLY employed may have zero idea of a recall/buy back that happened almost a decade ago. And if they did, I am sure systems have been updated and changed. If you are going to really pursue this, 7 years after the fact, you will probably need to do more leg work than just telling the dealer to figure it out.

Kingshouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been trying on and off for several years to get this sold back to them. Admittedly not that hard but I have tried. The truck has only 51k miles and was well serviced. My job and situation has drastically changed making it impossible for me to keep it. I already have two company vehicles and another personal truck. Lol

I have been tossed around by FCA with no answer. My local dealer doesn’t want to help. I also contacted the NHTSA and NCDS. NCDS said they didn’t have anything to do with that. I remember the letter stating a third party was responsible for insuring the issue would be resolved but cannot remember who that third party was.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
actually the buy back started in 2015 so really only 3.5 years after the fact not 7

The original link to the article on the Buy Back Program no longer works. What were the requirements to qualify for this program?