Ram - Transfer Case / Brake Issues, advice requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canadianmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Good day all.

I've got issues on my 2016 most often when in 4low or auto. Whats happening is a terrible clunking noise from the right front area of the wheels. It rarely occurs in 2 wheel drive. Gets alot worse when the brakes are applied.

I lifted all four wheels off the ground and ran the truck to see if I could see anything. When depressing the brake pedal it shudders ALOT and the peddle bounces around when the wheels are off the ground. If you hold it to the floor the wheels will eventually stop. This doesn't occur in 2 wheel drive. And the truck drives fine in 2 wheel.

Possibly related - the right front side CV axel went on me (completely rounded out the wheel hub) a couple months ago. I changed the CV axel but its was VERY hard to get out of the intermediate shaft. Like I pounded on it for days with a slide hammer, air chisel and eventually a bar with a sledge to get it out). When I replaced it I didn't have the retaining clip so I left that out.

Also, last night the truck got a little stuck in the back lane. I used 4 low to get it out. It worked but the dash displayed an error about something overheating, but it was fast and I didn't get to read the whole message.

Bad transfer case? Maybe Fluid? Or am I way off track here?

Ideas would be MOST appreciated.

Mike

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It really sounds like the problem is in the "repaired area". Transfer case overheated messages are pretty common in the 44-44 , but worth checking the fluid, which is a specialized fluid.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the wheel hub got deformed than part of the issue is you wheel hub and the missing retaining clip allowing to much movement causing the vibrations. In 4 low the engine likes to power through the brakes. My truck does that and did so completely stock too. I have to basically floor the brakes to stop. Otherwise I’d check the transfer case fluid as well. The 44-44 takes special fluid if you do need to change it.

OP
OP
C

canadianmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Thanks crazykid1994 and BWL. I'm really hoping its the transfer case fluid. Any tips on how I check that...(I'm new to the Rams!!)

Mike

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really sounds like the problem is in the "repaired area".

what makes you say that? beating on it with sledge hammers shouldnt of hurt anything:doh2:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the kind of clunking you're describing, the issue will probably become apparent when you take things apart. Anything that seems worn, just replace it. Give your wheel bearing on booth sides a good spin by hand and wiggle real hard to detect any bearing 'play'.

Before you take the front wheels off, put it up on jackstands and see if you can hear early wheel bearing failure. The way to do this (if you didn't know) is put a long wood stick, (like a broom handle), and place one end against the wheel hub (which wheel rotating), and the other end against the soft area in front of your ear. Press hard to your skull and listen for any bearing roughness. You'll hear the bearing. The stick will transmit bearing noses direct to your skull/ear. This is the ole mechanic's trick. A general 'whirr-ing' bearing is normal. But then again, you might also hear periodic grinding and cracking, ...basically bearing parts circulating inside (failing bearing). That indicates early bearing failure. The kind of early failure that is otherwise really difficult to hear or feel. That might save you a lot of hunting around.

I recently went through this on my Hummer. The wheel bearing didn't feel loose by hand. And the creaking noise was somewhat intermittent and really difficult to pinpoint where it was coming from (wheel bearing/axle, diff??). But listening too the wheel bearing with a stick-trick on the wheel hub, I could clearly hear bearing parts 'growling' around inside the wheel bearing. Once I had the old bearing off the truck in my hands, ya could definitely feel bearing roughness. The bearing was in the early stages of failure. Wheel bearings can go months before they get really bad, and are hard to detect when they start to fail.

If your bearing IS bad, spend the $$ and buy a quality Mopar wheel bearing. I quit buying low-priced (low quality) bearings anymore. They don't last. Last one I got from OReilly's (and I generally like OReilly's), the bearing face had .003" run-out. There'd be no way to get a rotor 'true' on a hub like that. Good thing I checked it before installing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

canadianmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've got a bit more info now as well that I'm hoping someone might be able to identify.

It seems that the problem occurs RIGHT AT 50km per hour. If I drive around at 49km, no issues in 4x4 or 2 wheel drive. Nothing. But as soon as the odometer creeps up over 50km, the sounds start.

Is there something that happens with these trucks right at 50 km per hour that anyone is aware of?

Mike

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just thinking off the top of my head, the torque converter locks up when ya get up to about that speed.

If you gently tap the brake as you go down the road at highway speed, can you faintly feel the T/C disengage?