Random

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Moparornocar0346, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 liter
    So started raining my area today. Rained really hard. So I was sitting at an idle and it started to spit and sputter and sounded like a jet plane it was sucking so much air threw the intake. Ok well threw it in park it idled up drove it to the store threw it in park again and don’t the same exact thing. I noticed as I was driving it, it really seemed sluggish. No codes or something. New map sensor so far. Any ideas at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2L Magnum
    Have you replaced your TPS, if so where did you get it? I had similar issues. Mine missfired so bad it was undrivable. So I replaced it. Also when was the last time you did a tune-up? A cracked distributor cap can do the same thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3. Fast69Mopar

Fast69Mopar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    When you said it sounded like a jet sucking air through the intake, what you are hearing is the idle air control motor going to the maximum steps and allowing as much air to enter the throttle body and engine to keep it running. With your year model, when I see a complaint from a customer like yours that started when it was raining, the first thing I check for is the age of the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If the cap is just the slightest bit cracked in any location it can allow moisture to enter the distributor and cause erratic spark. I also check for any vacuum leaks around the intake manifold and I check the intake manifolds valley pan to see if its pushed out and causing a leak too.

To check the intake manifolds valley pan gasket, remove the breather hose from the air cleaner housing that is on the right side of the engine. One end is connected to the air cleaner assembly on that is mounted on top of the throttle body and the other end is connected to the valve cover. Once you remove the breather hose, place your thumb over the end of it and hold it for a few seconds and then remove your thumb. If you hear a loud vacuum being pulled down the breather hose you can assume the valley pan gasket is pushed out and leaking. There will always be a small amount of vacuum on this breather hose but you will recognize what I am talking about. If you hold your thumb over the hose for 10 seconds and just start to feel a vacuum being pulled against your thumb then the gasket is in decent shape. If its pushed out in any spot you will feel a large vacuum being pulled against your thumb.

I would do these small things first before spending money on any parts. Do a little bit of diagnostics and dont shoot from the hip.

4. Moparornocar0346

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 liter
    Well I just done the Hughes pan and gaskets a few months ago. Imma check my cap and rotor first to see what it looks like. It don’t this once before but it didn’t do it as bad. This time it actually died and when I started it back it was fine.

5. Fast69Mopar

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Good for you using the Hughes setup on the intake. It is a quality piece and I have had such good luck with their products over the years. Definitely take a moment to inspect the wires, cap and rotor for any signs of breaking down. There is one other thing I would do since you said it felt sluggish while driving. I missed this part in your OP about it feeling sluggish. I was a little tired. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail and see what you get for fuel pressure by turning the key on (do not start) and then monitor the fuel pressure after you start the engine. Your fuel pressure should be 49psi +/- 5 psi.

6. Moparornocar0346

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 liter
    Ok will do this evening. Will keep u posted what the results r. Thanks for ur help man appreciate it

7. Fast69Mopar

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Excellent. Take your time and you will find the culprit. Post back what you find.