Rear lower control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been having sway issues since I bought the truck a few months back. So far I've replaced the front struts and back shocks. Checked and tightened everything and the front feels better but I'm still having issues with the back. There is still a little sway. I've noticed on the rear lower control arms there is some play with the bushings. They have a little side to side play in them. I'm thinking that's the final problem.

So the two questions I have are
1) Am I on the right track?

2) I can't find any after market rear lower control arms. The only ones I'm seeing are Mopar. Moog makes upper rear but not lower rear. Does anyone know any place that carries them cheaper than the Mopar brand? They start at $80.

I know the rear sway bar is a weak link but I don't want to upgrade that unless I need to and not until I know the rest of the suspension is 100%.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the Core4x4 (adjustable) ones that i'd guess can be adjusted to stock lenght,they're not $80 though, pair of lowers are $300 but they're way beefier than stock.

Then you have fixed ones aftermarket from Mevotech, CMS251147 for the lowers, and CMS251146 for the uppers. Mevotech website says this are supposed to be their Xfactor arms so they should be stronger than stock.

Last edited:

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated above. Replace your control arms with core4x4. They are the absolute best you can get. Also look into getting the core4x4 end links and the Hellwig 7709 sway bar and your problem will be gone 100%

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated above. Replace your control arms with core4x4. They are the absolute best you can get. Also look into getting the core4x4 end links and the Hellwig 7709 sway bar and your problem will be gone 100%
I agree, that would definitely do it but I'd be happy with a solid stock suspension. I guess the Mopar bars are the cheapest. It's a shame Moog doesn't make the lower ones too. Thanks for the advice guys.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah I also noticed they changed arms in 2013 so definite no go. There’s a used set of Spohns for $150 I might just nab

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Core 4x4 are the best you'll find--IMHO
Jay

Question. For tour jay, I have core 4x4 rear lower control arms on my 2015 ram. Recently I noticed when I first pull out of my driveway , a deep knock from the rear . Possible I need to retorque my rear lower control arms ? I figured you’d be a good one to ask. Thanks for any advice you have.

Adam

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adam--sorry it took so long to get back to you---I think I'd check the bushings, make sure everything has a shot of grease then retorque and see if that helps. You also might give Spence at Core a call and see what he things--great guy and good to work with
Jay

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adam--sorry it took so long to get back to you---I think I'd check the bushings, make sure everything has a shot of grease then retorque and see if that helps. You also might give Spence at Core a call and see what he things--great guy and good to work with
Jay

Thank you jay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have the Hellwig 7709 sway bar and Core end links. I didn't like the OEM end links with their sloppy swivel type bushings. My Cores are stock length (not adjustable) and have zerk fittings - well worth the price. And you can get them in several colors

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Hellwig 7709 sway bar and Core end links. I didn't like the OEM end links with their sloppy swivel type bushings. My Cores are stock length (not adjustable) and have zerk fittings - well worth the price. And you can get them in several colors

Hey John,
how does the truck ride now compared to stock? I am getting a lot of sideways walking over bumps and believe i need to replace all the rear control arms and rear track bar too.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Clayton rear control arms. Definitely noticed a difference in sway. Same price as Core. Clayton always had a great name in the Jeep business. One control arm weighs as much as all 4 stockers put together. Very well built... Add the hellwig rear sway bar, and your sway issues are gone. The truck takes the twisties really well for a truck. Towing is much firmer feeling as well.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hey John,
how does the truck ride now compared to stock? I am getting a lot of sideways walking over bumps and believe i need to replace all the rear control arms and rear track bar too.
Sorry for the delayed response - been trout fishing in Oregon.

The Hellwig sway bar improved sway. I would not say it was a dramatic change but it was a noticeable change. I did not notice any change when I changed out the control arms.

I'm no suspension expert but I would think your sideways walking is more of a shock problem than a sway bar problem.

I replaced my rear OEM shocks with Bilstein Shocks - # 24-187374. That seemed to improve rear-end stability.

I'm also running 10 ply tires on 17" wheels which
improves stability but is a rougher ride.

Not sure if any of this helps you but may give you new ideas.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already have the sway bar and an waiting for warmer weather to
Install the Core arms and end links. And also the upper arms when they get here.
These things are very strong.

Attachments

• 20240109_140243.jpg
    20240109_140243.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been having sway issues since I bought the truck a few months back. So far I've replaced the front struts and back shocks. Checked and tightened everything and the front feels better but I'm still having issues with the back. There is still a little sway. I've noticed on the rear lower control arms there is some play with the bushings. They have a little side to side play in them. I'm thinking that's the final problem.

So the two questions I have are
1) Am I on the right track?

2) I can't find any after market rear lower control arms. The only ones I'm seeing are Mopar. Moog makes upper rear but not lower rear. Does anyone know any place that carries them cheaper than the Mopar brand? They start at $80.

I know the rear sway bar is a weak link but I don't want to upgrade that unless I need to and not until I know the rest of the suspension is 100%.
What size tires?

Just get the better rear bar and that should fix you up if all stock.

9" wide stock rear wheel will help too if 20" - those wheels with stock size tires really firmed it up for me (though I went from 17" to 20's at the same time).

Mine is all stock Outdoorsman suspension with 50k miles with Hellwig bar on middle, Longhorn 20X9 wheels, XL load tires.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size tires?

Just get the better rear bar and that should fix you up if all stock.

9" wide stock rear wheel will help too if 20" - those wheels with stock size tires really firmed it up for me (though I went from 17" to 20's at the same time).

Mine is all stock Outdoorsman suspension with 50k miles with Hellwig bar on middle, Longhorn 20X9 wheels, XL load tires.
Thanks, I'm good. That post is from two trucks ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500