Rear Parking Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A65thor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My rear parking sensors on my 2017 Bighorn haven't worked for a couple months. I just replaced all the sensors as well as the wiring harness as one of the connectors was bad. They now work, but when I put in drive & reach 8 mph, the "service rear sensor" message comes up and the sensor off button lights up. If I stop & put in reverse, the sensors work again and will, until I reach 8 mph in Drive, then same thing happens again. They'll stay off until I'm in reverse, then repeat. For some reason, 8 mph seems to be the magic trigger— it's not time or distance, because if I creep along under 8 mph they'll stay on until I go over 8. Any ideas?
Thanks.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know when backing up there comes a point (seems to be around 8MPH I suppose) that I get a message saying something about the sensors not working due to me backing up too fast. If you're getting that going forward it almost seems like something is reverse wired.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You need to get the codes retrieved otherwise all your doing is guessing.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The idea that something is wires backwards makes a lot of sense, perhaps someone else can test that hypothesis in their truck by backing up a bit fast and see if the warning comes on. Hopefully someone else has idea what is not right. Just wondeing, can you try one sensor at a time to test them as you back up or does system want all connected at once? If you have other sensors you could try replacing each new sensor with an old one, maybe one of your new sensors is faulty. Good luck.

mr300z87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
New owner of a 17 Bighorn, I back down my 200 ft driveway, when I exceed a certain mph the warning message mentioned comes up. Hope this helps.