Rear shocks leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had my 19' warlock in at my mechanic. Quoted me 550$ for my rear shocks that were leaking. I called my local dodge dealership and it's covered under warranty. Is it worth upgrading the rear shocks, just paying the difference and putting something better in?
If so what would be a good alternative to what was in there?
I was thrashing around on the logging roads pretty good the last year so not surprised I need new shocks.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on what you intend to do with your truck. If you're happy with the ride and hitting logging roads is rare then I'd get the free replacements. Otherwise, consider if you're going to lift/level and how harsh the terrain you are potentially off-roading is. Mostly paved roads with occasional, easy off-road go with something like the Bilstein 5100s. If you are into heavy off-road stuff or need to burn some cash, look into Icons or Kings.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
definitely go with the biltstiens or better! factory rear shocks are garbage at best
I have a 21 warlock with biltstien 5100s in the back. these shocks should come on these trucks from the factory thats how good they feel in daily driving. they keep the tire in much better contact with the road over bumps, rocks, washbord, potholes, expansion joints et cetra
not to mention much better roll control when hitting the tight winding river roads at speed!

pretty easy to change too with normal garage tools and jackstands. it feels like its longer to remove and reinstall the wheels and wheel well liners than the actual shocks haha

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let the dealer replace them under warranty. Then if you decide to get better shocks down the road you have a spare good set or sell for a little recoup on the new ones.

Question I have is what shocks did your mechanic quote you? $550 for shocks better be something good. Book time is only like a hour to change shocks on the rear and realistically in a shop setting shouldn't take more than 10 min to do.

If you decide to swap the shocks for different save some money and do them yourself. It's 4 bolts not difficult at all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you decide to swap the shocks for different save some money and do them yourself. It's 4 bolts not difficult at all.
To make changing the rear shocks easier:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
For a few Pennies more, you’ll be getting better plus you won’t be worried about replacing them later, unless you have doing a lift in mind :waytogo:

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let the dealer replace them under warranty. Then if you decide to get better shocks down the road you have a spare good set or sell for a little recoup on the new ones.

Question I have is what shocks did your mechanic quote you? $550 for shocks better be something good. Book time is only like a hour to change shocks on the rear and realistically in a shop setting shouldn't take more than 10 min to do.

Ya I like this idea. Get em covered under warranty and then replace em at a later date and can either have a spare set

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ya the cost of the shocks was equal to the labor quote. Great local shop for me but sometimes there rates are extreme

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
definitely go with the biltstiens or better! factory rear shocks are garbage at best
I have a 21 warlock with biltstien 5100s in the back. these shocks should come on these trucks from the factory thats how good they feel in daily driving. they keep the tire in much better contact with the road over bumps, rocks, washbord, potholes, expansion joints et cetra
not to mention much better roll control when hitting the tight winding river roads at speed!

pretty easy to change too with normal garage tools and jackstands. it feels like its longer to remove and reinstall the wheels and wheel well liners than the actual shocks haha
Definitely love my ride and want the best put into it. Sounds like lots recommend the bilsteins

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

You're not doing the rear shocks in 10 minutes,by the time you pull the wheel well liners out,shorten a wrench to get at the ugly upper nuts,you're looking at well over an hour,probably per side,to do them yourself.No shop is going to be able to do them in 10 minutes,as they still have to R&R the wheel well liners .The Thuren kit does come with a short wrench,and a set of captured nuts,which will make the job alot faster,the next time you do the shocks,but for the first time around,the captured nuts aren't doing you any good.OP if you do decide to do them yourself,the job is easier,if you remove the rear tires.I've done a few sets of shocks,and it's easier to do with the tires out of the way.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilsteins are a decent option, I recommend also checking out the Fox 2.0's. Little more money but ride much nicer than 5100's. Message me if you would like a quote on anything.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Definitely love my ride and want the best put into it. Sounds like lots recommend the bilsteins
its because they are a good value for money. I had 2 shipped to Canada for like 330 but that was a while ago probably changed since then

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins are a decent option, I recommend also checking out the Fox 2.0's. Little more money but ride much nicer than 5100's. Message me if you would like a quote on anything.
I actually just canceled my warranty service appointment and will look into these 2 options. I definitely want what's best for sure. Will get back to you

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When replacing the shock absorber..if I put in either a fox or bilstein in do I have to replace the coil as well. Are the stock coils compatible with the other shock absorbers or do they require the entire thing replaced?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Belltech makes a rear shock in their trail performance line that's supposed to be really good and are only $70 a piece. I'll probably order a set of these in the near future.

OP
OP
Meatman8769

Meatman8769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the Part number on the fox shocks for the rear?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it would be Fox part number 985-24-032 for stock height rear, I'd confirm with @Nick@GotExhaust above since I'm not sure if the Warlock has longer rear springs to match the slight lift in the front.

Also, I do recommend the Thuren shock nut kit, it'll cut down the install and then later on reinstall time significantly.