Resonator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m need some advice, I installed a 70 series flowmaster on ram 2500 w/5.7 hemi, it has a horrible drone. I found a resonator made by vibrant call the ultra quiet. My question is where should I place it? Before or after the muffler?

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
If it already have one after the muffler, I would put it before the muffler. The 2019 and up (1500 Hemi) has one before the muffler and two after the muffler (dual tip exhausts). Don't be surprised if it doesn't stop the drone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Muffler shop built a tailpipe and there is no room after the muffler. Would it even tame the drone if I put it before the muffler?

OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am thinking about just switching to the flowmaster 50 series HD. Would this muffler be any quieter??

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m need some advice, I installed a 70 series flowmaster on ram 2500 w/5.7 hemi, it has a horrible drone. I found a resonator made by vibrant call the ultra quiet. My question is where should I place it? Before or after the muffler?

My Muffler shop built a tailpipe and there is no room after the muffler. Would it even tame the drone if I put it before the muffler?
Do you hear yourself?

“Babe, I’m making a sandwich, what do you want, turkey or ham?”
“Ham”
“We’re out of ham.”
upload_2020-7-5_21-26-37.gif

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I am thinking about just switching to the flowmaster 50 series HD. Would this muffler be any quieter??
No, it will be louder. The 50 series HD has 2 deflectors and 1 resonate chamber and a smaller case than the 70 series. Possibly the 50 series Delta Flow may be better with 3 deflectors and 2 different size resonate chambers. It's a roll of the dice if the 50 series Delta flow would reduce the droning. You best bet would be to install Helmholtz branch (1/4 wave) resonator.

OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been looking at the Gibson SFT round muffler. Not sure if it would be any better. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Tom Williams

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update: I kept the flowmaster and installed a new tailpipe w/resonator, totally silent in the cab! All the sound is at the tailpipe. It still has the flowmaster sound just not in the cab!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update: I kept the flowmaster and installed a new tailpipe w/resonator, totally silent in the cab! All the sound is at the tailpipe. It still has the flowmaster sound just not in the cab!
Single exhaust I assume not dual, given we already have factory resonators in the back with dual? I have some fiberglass wrap tape still so I had a look see with the idea to wrap some of the tail pipe at back but between the resonators and the factory hangers and the amount of pipe it would be a big slow job. And unfortunately when I do my pipe tap test to see where it rings a lot the whole damn tail pipe & even the tips ring about the same.

My latest thinking is if a guy had someone in the truck hold the revs at say 1600-1800 rpm'ish while you got underneath and placed something against various parts of the tail pipe..even a glove tip if you could narrow down where tape would make the most difference. I just don't know if you can hear the drone unless you are driving. I'll have start there I guess. You'd think the rubber isolators where the hangers are would eliminate any drone..but they don't of course because the drone originates at the engine (just thinking out loud here)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk