Retrofit of the 12” UAX radio and screen into a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Jimmy07 was a great help in getting me sorted. Here are photos of the labels on my two different radios.

0494FD7F-EBAE-4E50-9B11-13E4D5C18B5D.jpeg
The SiriusXM version appears in a search as Part # 68399192AF and it costs about $60 more than the one depicted that came in my truck: 5” UAA part # 68399190AF

B71B91DD-E105-45D1-ACB1-56E561169574.jpeg
On this 12” UAX you can see the part # clearly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, now that the withdrawal pangs are over from sending back that beautiful 12” unit I am wondering why not just fabricate a custom bracket to secure an aftermarket Alpine ILX-207 (2xDIN, 4”x7” chassis) into the opening for the UAA 5” radio? With just a bit of trim fabrication I could hide the gaps that will show above and below the Alpine. The photo shows the trim bezel from the Alpine so you can see what I mean. I have no steering wheel audio controls and the MTC controls are separate - in this Tradesman trim-level truck. I’d want to see the pin-out for the leads into the back of the UAA radio. For example, looking at the main radio harness to find the appropriate speaker output leads, 12v constant and switched. The key feature to retain is the rear view camera (RVC). So, is the white FAKRA video cable an input from the RVC or is it an output to feed the 4” b/w screen in the instrument panel?

3ED2A86C-1971-4762-A011-676FB4B77CB5.jpeg

E2C9F7E1-9548-48A8-A6F9-AB77469E9D3B.jpeg

9DD40D72-8EC8-4ACC-B73C-C969651A5EBD.jpeg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So, now that the withdrawal pangs are over from sending back that beautiful 12” unit I am wondering why not just fabricate a custom bracket to secure an aftermarket Alpine ILX-207 (2xDIN, 4”x7” chassis) into the opening for the UAA 5” radio? With just a bit of trim fabrication I could hide the gaps that will show above and below the Alpine. The photo shows the trim bezel from the Alpine so you can see what I mean. I have no steering wheel audio controls and the MTC controls are separate - in this Tradesman trim-level truck. I’d want to see the pin-out for the leads into the back of the UAA radio. For example, looking at the main radio harness to find the appropriate speaker output leads, 12v constant and switched. The key feature to retain is the rear view camera (RVC). So, is the white FAKRA video cable an input from the RVC or is it an output to feed the 4” b/w screen in the instrument panel?

View attachment 196509

View attachment 196510

View attachment 196511

Let me see if I can find pic's of a custom bezel I did for a alpine unit I had in my 2015

Edit. Here is a pic.

c6395250b228b5a648e20dfd6a0073e3.jpg

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Last edited:
OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That’s nice work. Did you start with a 5” bezel and open it up? There appears to be plenty of structure in the stock 5” radio bracket to adapt it for the small flanged screws that go in the side of the Alpine chassis.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That’s nice work. Did you start with a 5” bezel and open it up? There appears to be plenty of structure in the stock 5” radio bracket to adapt it for the small flanged screws that go in the side of the Alpine chassis.

I bought a 8.4 bezel that infotainment use to sell. I don't see it on their site anymore. I think at the time that bezel was around $100. I Enlarged that opening and graphed in the trim ring for the alpine unit.

But the 5.0 bezel I believe had enough room to chop up but didn't want to modify it just incase I wanted to go back. Which I ended up going to a Kenwood unit so I could use the idatalink maestro rr and have full access to the factory options through the radio.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good info - now for them to support the 2019-2020 trucks. I looked up some part numbers just to see what the components are for the new dash bezels and radio brackets. I haven't ordered anything yet but it may be that those of us with MTC will want the bezels for 8.4 "disassociated" screens. I think that is what the 8.4" UAM offers. The UAV 8.4C nav unit seems to come in a center control bezel that includes different knobs and buttons - more complex - than mine. Disassociated probably means that the screens offer no climate control at all - it all being resident in the three rotating manual knobs just underneath.

Last edited:

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just received my 8.4 from infotainment What's the secret to unpluggin the cigerette lighter an removing it from the bezel? I can't find anythin on it in google or you tube. Also, with no instructions included what is that blue wire taped to the backside of the radio for. I wrote all the radio info down from the back side of it so when I call Sirius to turn it on I can give them some info for the radio. My truck never had it before so I wasn't sure the cin number would be enough.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
1. Unplug everything else before attacking that cig lighter plug.

EDIT and UPDATE - Easier still to just pull the radio out while sitting on the passenger’s side of your bench seat. That cig plug is right in your face this way!

Rotate the whole assembly in your free hand without stretching that wire. Now you are supposed to press down on both of those half-circle protrusions at the same time to free it. Impossible! I used my trim removal tool to do the pressing and I got it out.

2. I asked them about the connections and here's what they wrote to me:

The White Display Port is obviously for display.

White is AM/FM.

Blue is GPS/Compass.

Yellow/Curry is SiriusXM. (You might find a yellow connector if you remove the blue pigtail on the new unit. Depending on the vehicle, you may find only a yellow port which is for a dual antenna - GPS and SiriusXM combined)

Purple is 911 Assist which is not required.

Red is for diagnostics.

Pink is not mapped to anything.

Green and Orange are sometimes featured, but not required unless you already have those connections in your vehicle. To be honest, I'm not sure on what those do.

Gray Mini USB is for your USB Hub.

The large, black harness is the main power harness.

For the most part, just match everything by color. The only exception would be when it comes to Blue and Yellow.
3. In my view: you probably only see plugs in your truck to connect with what I underlined above. That blue pigtail you mentioned is probaby a FAKRA Z (universal) connector. I think the official color is "ice blue"? Anyway, it will accept any FAKRA lead and in this case, I think it's for your SiriusXM antenna lead. That's how it was for my truck. I still think that you may find a taped up factory antenna plug from the rooftop square (not the shark fin) antenna? If you do, plug that into the "blue" and hold off on even using the new antenna you bought in such case.

4. When you power it up, go to the Sirius screen and select Channel 0 (or 1, can't remember but it will be obvious). That will present you with the 8-digit Sirius ID. That's what you'll relay to SiriusXM (online may be easier) when you want to start service. However - they may have set you up with a free trial so try it all out before adding this to your account.

By the way - I called them and ordered the 8.4" UAM kit today.

Last edited:

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As for the cigarette lighter how does that unplug or do I do all that twisting an leave it wired? I watched their video 2 tines an they skipped that part. He tried then moved on next thing they showed it was unplugged then on install they never showed him plugging it in. I've pulled on it an it doesn't unplug an there's no clip or ears on it. At least from what I can see.
I did buy the OEM antenna from them cause I'm not sure if one of those on my roof has a wire runnin down towards the radio because I didn't see one. I read about how to remove the pillar cover to see but with my luck I'd end up screwing somethin up.
I appreciate the help.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Cigarette wire iisn't just pulling out, is it just me?

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got it. Just had to walk away from it.ittle blue tab was holdin it up. Ayyiyi

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Now you unclip the piece with the 12v cover and push it out from the rear, followed by the last piece which is the cylinder that held in the hinged cover piece. Transfer to the new bezel.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ya once I removed the actual lighter it was a piece of cake. New bezel, by the way was fancier than the one I had is installed. I had the wife call Sirius (1 beer ain't enough X amount is too bamy) to have that turned on. Hopefully come tomorrow the corn liquor will have run its course an I can set it all up. I love the lager back up camera1!

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck has the black/diesel gray interior and a vinyl 40-20-40 bench. You can pop off your existing matte black top piece and snap it down in place of the fake wood or carbon fiber piece they may have sent. If the thin silver plastic trim is too light then you can find matching side a/c vents or try and move your old piece over. Much harder.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My truck has the black/diesel gray interior and a vinyl 40-20-40 bench. You can pop off your existing matte black top piece and snap it down in place of the fake wood or carbon fiber piece they may have sent. If the thin silver plastic trim is too light then you can find matching side a/c vents or try and move your old piece over. Much harder.
My truck is the same. I like the chrome lookin piece at the top an the car on fiber lookin piece at the top. Kind of dresses up the rather bland black interior. The OEM Sirius antenna seems to work great under that screen cover on the dash board. I was con warned about that.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So what's going on? Infotainment took back the uax and is trying to figure out how to make it work in a tradesman?

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They finally just gave me a full refund.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey just to get some details on this radio swap, the touchscreen swapped in and worked with no special harnesses or anything beyond what they sent you to try and integrate the climate control? I'm curious, let say you installed the touch screen, but found a way to leave the old climate controls intact and connected, but moved them to a different location.

I'm thinking with an extension harness and a nice 3d printed mount, the tradesman climate controls could be mounted under the auxiliary switches since there's no center console in the way. If done right it wouldn't look bad, and for those of us who really want to ditch our Uconnect 5 for the 12" UAX, it could be a temporary solution until a proper fix comes out to do away with the original climate controls.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey just to get some details on this radio swap, the touchscreen swapped in and worked with no special harnesses or anything beyond what they sent you to try and integrate the climate control? I'm curious, let say you installed the touch screen, but found a way to leave the old climate controls intact and connected, but moved them to a different location.

I'm thinking with an extension harness and a nice 3d printed mount, the tradesman climate controls could be mounted under the auxiliary switches since there's no center console in the way. If done right it wouldn't look bad, and for those of us who really want to ditch our Uconnect 5 for the 12" UAX, it could be a temporary solution until a proper fix comes out to do away with the original climate controls.
I get what you’re saying, and it would *most likely* work. On the original manual controls, there is an 8-way connector from the truck plugged into the back of them- EqsAAVX.jpg

When you get the 12”, that connector gets plugged into the screen with an extension harness that switches the pin locations around. You would need to make a “Y” harness that would plug into the back of the old manual controls AND plug into the back of the 12” screen with the pin switch.

I think the easier solution would be to add the necessary temp sensors to the appropriate vents, and get the auto temp working correctly. I have the schematics to get the auto temp wired in, but I’m not sure the exact locations of the sensors in the vents or how they’re installed without seeing it on an auto temp equipped truck. Those who have the windows version of AlfaOBD, there’s no reason to pay infotainment all that money for their kit, because you can source the parts brand new for under $2000.