Retrofit of the 12” UAX radio and screen into a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't look. I just saw those 2 an didn't think to look at the bottom of it. I ordered the 8.4 radio. I was hoping that blue one was the Sirius. And I didn't notice any other wires kind of hanging anywhere waiting to get plugged in. Guess I need to a) check bottom of radio b) open the corner post an see if there is a cable for the sirius.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I didn't look. I just saw those 2 an didn't think to look at the bottom of it. I ordered the 8.4 radio. I was hoping that blue one was the Sirius. And I didn't notice any other wires kind of hanging anywhere waiting to get plugged in. Guess I need to a) check bottom of radio b) open the corner post an see if there is a cable for the sirius.

They sell an antenna that you can slide up under the center speaker grill cover.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll check my truck further before I spend another $100

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Didn't bother, spent the $100 on their Mopar factory antenna.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I jumped in on that post at #837 and #838 gave me a helpful start. As for my sensor alone, looks like I tap power from pin 1 of C1 and run the other 3 wires over to connector C2. Now to find my HVAC module and those two jacks on it.
Looking at the 2019 HD MTC vs ATC, it appears to be more than just the cabin temp sensor that makes the ATC system work. There’s four additional temp sensors in the ducts.
Manual temp controls- 3ZN2fVj.jpg
Auto temp controls showing four additional sensors- 9W4STFO.jpg9KT33CX.jpg

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Looking at the 2019 HD MTC vs ATC, it appears to be more than just the cabin temp sensor that makes the ATC system work. There’s four additional temp sensors in the ducts.
Manual temp controls-
Auto temp controls showing four additional sensors

Jimmy....I am thinking of getting a 2020 3500 BUT a REGULAR CAB. No ATC is available in a RC but would like to add it like I did in my current 2017 RC HD. Of course that was just the one sensor by your right knee in the kick panel. Can only one sensor be used on the 2020 HD and get ATC? I do not think you could add additional sensors in a regular can since there is less ducting, Can only one sensor be used on the 2020 HD and get ATC?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m not exactly sure, yet. I’m not even sure about the cabin temp sensor, because both schematics (MTC and ATC) show the in cabin temp sensor being used, but it appears @djcwardog doesn’t currently have one with his factory MTC truck. So, that one has me scratching my head. The way I’m seeing the other duct sensors- I would think they have to be there, because the HVAC module would need their information to make the ATC work correctly. From their description, it looks like one would be in the (vicinity of the) driver side vent, one in the passenger side vent, and one each in the driver/passenger side front floor duct- all of which are shared between the regular and crew cabs.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Moving/quoting this over here to avoid cluttering the 4th gen thread...

That information from the this thread is for the 4th gen 13-18 trucks and is pretty much useless to both you and Infotainment. You aren't going to be able to just drop in their previous 4th gen attempt at ATC wiring fix on the 5th gen trucks without digging through the schematics.

I haven't taken a real look at them myself (nearly zero free time, and no access to a 5th gen near me) but a quick check of the Mopar DCCtools connector repair site (free) for 2019 DJ 2500 5th gen truck shows right away that the HVAC Module/ connectors are completely different than the 4th gen. So the 5th gen trucks are going to have to be figured out from scratch to do it correctly.

It's a bit weird that the in car temp sensor is using the same connector/wiring as the sun sensor. Not sure where these sensors/connectors are normally located on the 5th gen as well as the HVAC module. Both of these connectors are likely on the HVAC module itself.

75cc861889d0989bd914747e2619eb63.jpg

795e83d8833964610796888fe14f64fc.jpg

Edit: a few minutes digging around with free info...

Looks like the actual cabin Temp sensor is the same connector as before.... You just need to get it tied into the C2 connector at the HVAC module....

* Whether or not the 5th gen 2500 uses a single speed HVAC compressor like the 4th gens or a variable one like the 1500's IDK. If it's variable then it may also need additional sensors.

6729a1a8fe6884a606b0b15f9b4d6170.jpg

MPGrimm2,

Very helpful for those of us trying to go manual to auto on a 5th gen HD truck. I’m glad to start this up anew on the 5th Gen DIY Forum to keep this thread on the 4th gens. If you sell or plan to sell harnesses to make this simpler I would be glad to be a customer. I am thinking of swapping out my basic flip-up/down mirror for one that autodims. It would also be cool to retrofit the 7” color cluster and some steering wheel audio controls.

All that said, using your info, it appears that the pins on the 4-wire sensor plug do the same things in the same order 1-4 as on your 4th gen. The 8-wire C2 looks to seek three of the four so switched 12v power could be found nearby on pin 1 of the big C1 connector with its 36 pins.

If I hold the sensor harness and wish to route its four wires, then perhaps sensor pin 1 to pin 5 on C2, sensor pin 2 to pin 6 on C2, sensor pin 3 to pin 1 on connector C1, and sensor pin 4 to pin 2 on C2. If there is already a ground wire there then splice into existing wire?

Now I need to confirm where my HVAC module and its plug at the C2 connector are... Is there a separate forum that discusses how to code these trucks using the Bluetooth MX device, software and the SGM bypass? I did a lot of that on other makes I owned but never on a FCA vehicle.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m not exactly sure, yet. I’m not even sure about the cabin temp sensor, because both schematics (MTC and ATC) show the in cabin temp sensor being used, but it appears @djcwardog doesn’t currently have one with his factory MTC truck. So, that one has me scratching my head. The way I’m seeing the other duct sensors- I would think they have to be there, because the HVAC module would need their information to make the ATC work correctly. From their description, it looks like one would be in the (vicinity of the) driver side vent, one in the passenger side vent, and one each in the driver/passenger side front floor duct- all of which are shared between the regular and crew cabs.

I see right and left blend doors on the schematic so dual-zone ATC? I know that some people retrofitted dual-zone into the 4th gens. For my needs, a bare minimum single-zone would be fine and keep the “sync” option (screen button) activated. Maybe just the cabin air temp sensor would do it, even if the temp control lags user input for whatever time it takes for that sensor to read a temp difference?

Even less but fine by me - can the UAX (or UAV) be coded to operate in MTC mode only? No “auto” button function and the red/blue temp range would be “hot/cold” instead of “hi/Lo”?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see right and left blend doors on the schematic so dual-zone ATC? I know that some people retrofitted dual-zone into the 4th gens. For my needs, a bare minimum single-zone would be fine and keep the “sync” option (screen button) activated. Maybe just the cabin air temp sensor would do it, even if the temp control lags user input for whatever time it takes for that sensor to read a temp difference?
As far as ATC goes, even if it can be configured into single zone like on the 4th gens, I would think it needs all the temp sensors, regardless. It would still need those output temp numbers to be able to calculate what to do for both zones as a whole.
If it works the same way as the 4th gens with making it a single zone ATC, you would have gotten two genies from infotainment. One to set it to dual zone, first. Then, the second to set it to single zone.
Even less but fine by me - can the UAX (or UAV) be coded to operate in MTC mode only? No “auto” button function and the red/blue temp range would be “hot/cold” instead of “hi/Lo”?
That’s what I would try first, but I have no clue what infotainment has going on with what the genie did for the climate controls. I do know what it changes in the BCM to get the screen to work, though. I’m not sure if the 12” screen supports MTC, but do you have AlfaOBD? If so, the first thing I would try is setting the climate back to manual.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, I got just one Genie and their SGM bypass. My sliders and buttons (HVAC side) do seem to move air doors and raise lower the temperature. So perhaps it had to program the BCM and maybe even the HVAC module to some extent for that to happen at all from the new 12" UAX unit. Is AlphaOBD the free trial/$50 download? I have the trial on a USB stick now and i also have the OBD port MX device that uses Bluetooth to work with the laptop. Is there a resource for entry-level knowledge on coding these trucks? I used the same MX module and Forscan to change thing in a 2017 Mustang GT and I also did similar on a few BMW's before that using Esys and an OBD2 network cable adapter.

Also would be great to see some views of the factory locations for these modules and pinouts for the HVAVC harnesses (although I think we may have those now) - similar to what you shared with us in the fog lights thread here:

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2188479/

Anybody notice the "auto headlamps" signal at pin 1 coming from the sun sensor and going into connector C1, pin 34 of the HVAC module? Wonder if it's the same sun sensor for trucks with or without AHL - and you only have to code to turn it on? That would be a nice feature what with my retrofitted LED headlight bulbs in place!

The Ford crowd worked together and came up with a spreadsheet list of (confirmed to work) coding choices and what they do. That would be great to have here and once I get some confirmed I'll be glad to share.

Thanks!
This is the best I have right now- 4RXdHft.jpg

6 is the HVAC module, and 9 is the blower motor for reference. 14 are the output temp sensors. I’ll work on getting some better location views of all that stuff, but I have to “borrow” a techauthority log in, so, that won’t be till later tonight or tomorrow morning I can get to that.

In the meantime, check out the very first post of this thread to get familiar with AlfaOBD- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

What you would need is the software (Android or windows version), your OBD link MX Bluetooth, and a security gateway bypass for a 2019 Ram HD- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

Have you heard anything back from infotainment? It sounds suspiciously like what they are really telling you is, “you are the first one to go straight from the base radio with MTC to the 12”, and we didn’t do any testing on that, so we’ll try to come up with a solution...”.

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The AlphaOBD thread you linked is superb! Thanks for sharing that. To avoid confusion over there, I have started a new thread on the AlphaOBD topic but for our 5th Gen trucks, here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/use-case-getting-atc-to-work-on-an-mtc-5th-gen-truck.156975/

As for infotainment.com, your suspicions may be correct. Nothing of substance heard back from them yet. They said that this is an issue for the UAV (8.4C) and UAX (12) retrofits and they are working on a solution. They then shipped me the sensor and harness - but later confirmed it won't work for me - just for the UAM retrofits. So, they are not indifferent to the problem anyway. I think I can now take their sensor harness and adapt it to try sending the wires over to the HVAC at C1 and C2 as noted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE - confirmed today that there is no fix yet so I asked for an RMA to return the UAX. They say they’ll do a full refund with no restocking fee, so that’s nice of them. Now to reinstall the 5” UAA and see if I can select a coding choice to enable Sirius XM to function? My truck came with the UAA but without SXM as a feature on it.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
UPDATE - confirmed today that there is no fix yet so I asked for an RMA to return the UAX. They say they’ll do a full refund with no restocking fee, so that’s nice of them. Now to reinstall the 5” UAA and see if I can select a coding choice to enable Sirius XM to function? My truck came with the UAA but without SXM as a feature on it.
I'm still waiting on my radio. Also them yesterday about it an they said another week. Waiting on bezel. Still has not been confirmed if it will be programmed for Sirius since my Vin will tell them it didn't have it originally.

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you order their UAM 8.4” radio? If so, those all have SiriusXM along with CarPlay/Android Auto. UPDATE - I asked them and they said that no Genie is sent when upgrading from UAA 5” to UAM 8.4” so your radio will hopefully have the SiriusXM feature turned on through their pre-shipment programming of the radio itself, when they code in your VIN.

Last edited:

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes it was, er is that one. Ordered it on Jan 3 an according to website it was available. Guess not so much

OP
OP
djcwardog

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Now to reinstall the 5” UAA and see if I can select a coding choice to enable Sirius XM to function? My truck came with the UAA but without SXM as a feature on it.

Update:
My radio does not appear to have the SXM circuitry inside. I reinstalled it then I tried to find coding choices to turn on the SXM function. None found. My MTC didn’t function anymore either. So next I tried to reverse out the coding that the OBDGenie did for the UAX. Read the coding threads and proceed at your own risk!

1) the photo shows the screen for changing the HVAC settings back to MTC. I did this one first. However, I saw that the MTC controls still were not put back to normal. 2 more coding reversals were needed.

2) Connect to your BCM as MY2016-17 Ram, like you normally would. Then, click on the advanced mode. When in advanced mode, drop down the body control selections and choose 2017 Pacifica. Click active diagnostics. Select car configuration change. Then scroll down to cabin net, almost to the bottom. It’s called “cabin net- display screen module.” Set this to “not enabled.” You must be running the program on Windows to see this particular choice.

3) In the same menu look for “cabin net integrated center stack.” Set this to “Enabled”.

It was only with these three changes made that my MTC worked properly in the truck. Thanks to Jimmy07, a member of this forum, for the assistance.

03270AFF-83E3-4418-99C0-E50BEC4FABD7.jpeg

Last edited:

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update:
My radio does not appear to have the SXM circuitry inside. I reinstalled it then I tried to find coding choices to turn on the SXM function. None found. My MTC didn’t function anymore either. So next I tried to reverse out the coding that the OBDGenie did for the UAX. Read the coding threads and proceed at your own risk!

1) the photo shows the screen for changing the HVAC settings back to MTC. I did this one first. However, I saw that the MTC controls still were not put back to normal. 2 more coding reversals were needed.

2) Connect to your BCM as MY2016-17 Ram, like you normally would. Then, click on the advanced mode. When in advanced mode, drop down the body control selections and choose 2017 Pacifica. Click active diagnostics. Select car configuration change. Then scroll down to cabin net, almost to the bottom. It’s called “cabin net- display screen module.” Set this to “not enabled.” You must be running the program on Windows to see this particular choice.

3) In the same menu look for “cabin net integrated center stack.” Set this to “Enabled”.

It was only with these three changes made that my MTC worked properly in the truck. Thanks to a member of this forum for the assistance.

View attachment 195776
You've just been havin a time of it ain't ya.