S&B Intake Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my S&B installed on the Ram. Only been a day but mixed feelings so far.

This is my first truck, used to have smaller sport cars so could just be a truck thing.

There is no initial sucking noise... that almost used to sound like a turbo on my older cars. Really loved that noise when you first stomp on the gas from the line ... sounds like the strongest vacuum cleaner in the world just grabbing all the air around it.

Is that because its a closed box intake? I figured that wouldn't matter since it has the scoop and inlet from the fender..

Either way... at higher RPMs its insane.. much more initial response. Just not sure if I made the right move picking this instead of an open box.. vs closed.. and also maybe the varram.

Thoughts?!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
That sucking noise is just that "Sucking". Meaning not good, it sucks.
Take a huge breath, now do the same through a straw.
Great sucking sound but not as much as air is being brought "in".

BTW< I hate you. I want one of those S&B intakes, but needed other mods first, so I have to settle for the cold airbox mod. Does "mostly" the same thing, opening up the air flow, but does not look NO WHERE NEAR AS COOL as your S&B intake......so, you suck & I hate you.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Be happy. You got the very best cold air intake available.
I want one, so bad -- You really do suck.

Like listening to Tom Brady ******** about Gisele.

Darn kids, if they didn't need to eat, I could have me one of those S&B intakes.
Rotten Heathens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucking noise is just that "Sucking". Meaning not good, it sucks.
Take a huge breath, now do the same through a straw.
Great sucking sound but not as much as air is being brought "in".

BTW< I hate you. I want one of those S&B intakes, but needed other mods first, so I have to settle for the cold airbox mod. Does "mostly" the same thing, opening up the air flow, but does not look NO WHERE NEAR AS COOL as your S&B intake......so, you suck & I hate you.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Be happy. You got the very best cold air intake available.
I want one, so bad -- You really do suck.

Like listening to Tom Brady ******** about Gisele.

Darn kids, if they didn't need to eat, I could have me one of those S&B intakes.
Rotten Heathens.

I know I know but I miss that noise lol.

It was going to be my last mod after the TYC projectors, HIDs and fog HIDs, and bed cover and some other small lighting things... but now I'm looking at exhaust, brake kits... and a stock radio that has the touch screen/NAV. jesus this never ends.... oh.. and some sick tires!

Love the TB12 reference. Big Pats fan over here!

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the sealed airbox wont give you that sucking noise you like only an open element sounds that way generally but then you simply sucking in the hot air off the engine!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just got my S&B installed on the Ram. Only been a day but mixed feelings so far.

This is my first truck, used to have smaller sport cars so could just be a truck thing.

There is no initial sucking noise... that almost used to sound like a turbo on my older cars. Really loved that noise when you first stomp on the gas from the line ... sounds like the strongest vacuum cleaner in the world just grabbing all the air around it.

Is that because its a closed box intake? I figured that wouldn't matter since it has the scoop and inlet from the fender..

Either way... at higher RPMs its insane.. much more initial response. Just not sure if I made the right move picking this instead of an open box.. vs closed.. and also maybe the varram.

Thoughts?!
You get that sucking noise from open CAIs like K&N and AIRAID. That's poser intake roar, Believe me, no one thinks you have a turbo--they think you have a cheap open CAI.

Then you get teeth rattling intake noise under load from those open jobs. I mean conversation stopping, music drowning intake roar. Everyone you drive by knows you bought an open CAI and you got no mojo under the hood unless your exhaust is loud enough to drown out the noise.

If your exhaust is loud enough to drown out the poser intake roar, then you've got a different problem: all your neighbors hate your exhaust, and when you drive by, everyone assumes 'big noise lil ******.'

The S&B is a closed CAI--that means you get as much colder air as your engine needs, not the superheated stuff under the hood that an open type CAI sucks on (or just sucks). Short of ram-air, a blower or a turbo you're doing as much as you can to help your RAM breath with that CAI.

Now consider some long tube headers and a ported throttle body to use that air. :burnout:

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get that sucking noise from open CAIs like K&N and AIRAID. Believe me, no one thinks you have a turbo--they think you have a cheap open CAI.

Then you get teeth rattling intake noise under load from those open jobs. I mean conversations stopping, music drowning intake roar. Everyone you drive by knows you bought an open CAI and you got no mojo under the hood unless your exhaust is loud enough to drown out the noise.

If your exhaust is loud enough to drown out the poser intake roar, then you've got a different problem: all your neighbors hate your exhaust, and when you drive by everyone assumes 'big noise lil ******.'

The S&B is a closed CAI--that means you get as much colder air as your engine needs, not the superheated stuff under the hood that an open type CAI sucks on (or just sucks). Short of ram-air, a blower or a turbo you're doing as much as you can to help your RAM breath with that CAI.

Now consider some long tube headers and a ported throttle body to use that air.

Time to move on from the ricer days for sure :)

Thanks for the good advice.. was looking at an exhaust but with the S&B probably going to look at the Throttle Body first.

Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I chose the S&B because it looked like a quality piece and i liked that its sealed so it keeps heat and water out.