Safety issue with AC system in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol...what are these"winters"you fellas speak of?I was just thinking...I run my ac everyday of the year....down here it's hot and then not so hot as I say.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Just curious how many of you live in cold weather climates and have to recharge your AC system 1 or 2 times a year? I've got the new refrigerant so it's $300-400 every time I have to re-fill the system. At any rate, I was cruising down the highway today and turned on my windshield defroster. The AC system had emptied itself so the windshield immediately fogged up and froze into a solid sheet of ice on the inside of the truck. Temp was -15 at the time. Almost had a collision with another vehicle due to this. I doubt this affects enough people for FCA to care about but just curious if anybody else has to recharge their ridiculously expensive system on a regular basis?

Never needed to recharge it. Not once in the last 4 years. There has to be a leak. Let them put ultraviolet tracer dye in and they can light it up with a black light to see where the leak is.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I live in Montana. Winter is usually cold, Feb especially. Usually below zero, many times 10 to 20 below. Never had to re-charge air conditioner in my 11, my 15 or 16. Always works in summer. owned all three since new.

Sounds like you have a leak

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you have to recharge your system that much, you have a leak somewhere. Its a sealed system and should always hold refrigerant. Regardless of temperature .
^x2 you got a leak dude.

Mikes578514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ac systems aren’t supposed to leak!!! Some of the refrigerants have a nasty effect on the atmosphere.

You may want to check into your localities lemon laws

Mike

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey what year is your rig? I have a 2015 ram 1500and mine did the exact same thing!! Dealership couldn't find any leaks. (the stuff can't magically disappear) anyways I couldnt keep spending the $$ on refills and they Havnt yet made the cheat cans of the yz whatever the coolant they use now every spring. So I got the suction lines I Beleive they're suction. The fat ones anyways from a 2010 ram 1500. The hole on the compressor is smaller so I just filed it down nicely till it fit filed my o ring lands a bit so the o ring sat in snug and bolted it in. I can now use r134a from A cheat can again. I a had this done for over a year now with no issues at all and it's cooler than it was before too. Just something to think about if your backyard capable and tired of dealerships.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Lol...what are these"winters"you fellas speak of?I was just thinking...I run my ac everyday of the year....down here it's hot and then not so hot as I say.

You are Evil and Sadistic.

"Run my A/c everyday."

Well, La Te Da, you Evil *******.