Searched all the tire size threads...still have a Q (KM3 37s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vandy321

Reaction score
New guy here..but did my diligence in the search bar first (or so I think)

Stock wheels, stock '21 PW...35s fit, seems to be agreed upon...37s need pinch weld and some minor trimming witb a smaller offset.

The one tire I haven't seen asked/mentioned for stock fitment..the 37x12.5r17 BFG KM3 seems to measure under 36" mounted on jeeps...

Before I make an expensive mistake...anyone know if they'll rub?

Hoping to run these while the build progresses, but eventually 39s and the thuren kit are going on. I do need clearance for CO trails, rubbing isn't something I want to deal with, and will go 35s for now if needed to avoid it. But thinking/hoping a true 36" mounted may work?

Thanks all

Last edited:

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I run KM3s at 37x12.5r18 on my 16 PW. The wheel has a -12mm offset. I ran the KM3 before and now after the Thuren with the 1.5" lift.
My pinch trim was minor as hell, I took some off but almost as much to make sure I didn't damage my new 27 hundred dolla sneakers (for all five). I used heat and a couple of the plastic push pins to hold my wheel liner exactly where I wanted. This was all before the Thuren.

I do think at full or close to full articulation and close to full lock I would have rubbed. And it may have been due to the -12 offset, whereas a 0 to +28 is the sweet spot range for max clearance.

Since Thuren I can full lock whack something and not a even a tickle, I don't try to do that very often but the clearance seems to be there. I've crawled obstacles that I thought i was sure to hear or feel and nothing. I love it, I've never had one that didn't rub.

I believe my tire measured just over 36" at 38psi (mighta been 60psi right when I picked it up after tire install)

I wish they tires were wearing a little longer but aside from that flipn love them. They stick in all the weather.

The only thing was when I bought mine the 13.5 was $150 cheaper per tire then the 12.5 but wasn't risking the rub.

OP
OP
V

Vandy321

Reaction score
I dont mind doing a little trimming, but hoping if needed I can find a YouTube on it (or avoid it alltogether until the springs are added) I really wanted to avoid aftermarket wheels as well this year...I'd like to just Slam on some 37s (maybe a 1/2" spacer??) to get me through November hunting season and then worry about the thuren springs and wheels late winter, after Christmas purchases...wish I had unlimited funds, I'd do it all now, but such is life

Thanks for the inputs and the reviews on the KM3s! They do alright on road snow? Assuming they are as good as any MT in deep snow.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a fyi, Thuren springs are not gonna gain you anymore clearance than the stock springs. Also, if you are planning on 39’s you will be trimming a lot more than just a smidge off the pinch weld, so why even worry about a slight trim if needed?

OP
OP
V

Vandy321

Reaction score
@olyelr Yessir, understood, its the control arm with stock wheels/ offset. springs with a zero offset is the plan down the road...and hoping the AEV fenders come in stock at some point, best I can tell that should fit, that's my plan anyways after the google-fu on these forums.

Please do correct me if that's wrong. I only know what I've read, no way to know the validity of that, just pics and posts are what I'm going off.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
315 70R18 Toyo M/T is listed as a 35.7" by 13". Closer to a 36" than any other tire size available, but then it's an 18" wheel size.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
315 70R18 Toyo M/T is listed as a 35.7" by 13". Closer to a 36" than any other tire size available, but then it's an 18" wheel size.
If he buys a 37” bfg then he will have a true 36” tire.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have hunted in bad country extensively. I have never seen the case where 1" of tire size ever made the difference between making it or not being able to go. We are after all talking 1/2" of clearance. Going from 33 to 39, big difference, 35 to 36, completely irrelevant. Save your money, do your lift first, then buy the tires you want.

We all carry quads when hunting, if the roads get that bad, we roll them out of the back of the truck and take them instead. They will go places very easily that a pickup has tremendous trouble getting to and will go places a pickup will never go. That and they cost about the price of a good set of tires and a lift.

OP
OP
V

Vandy321

Reaction score
I have hunted in bad country extensively. I have never seen the case where 1" of tire size ever made the difference between making it or not being able to go. We are after all talking 1/2" of clearance. Going from 33 to 39, big difference, 35 to 36, completely irrelevant. Save your money, do your lift first, then buy the tires you want.

We all carry quads when hunting, if the roads get that bad, we roll them out of the back of the truck and take them instead. They will go places very easily that a pickup has tremendous trouble getting to and will go places a pickup will never go. That and they cost about the price of a good set of tires and a lift.

Not going from 35s to 36s....going from stock 33s to 37s (36.5 BFGs). The stockers measure up ~31.5" in actual height mounted. I disagree that is not a significant difference in clearance to jump to 37s.

I hunt with camp on my back. My truck gets me to where I pack in, don't need a 4 wheeler, but would like some additional clearance on the pumpkin.

Coming from a Tacoma with 37s, I can say I did notice a difference on the same trails in clearance with the stock PW. So larger tires are on the docket.