Seized lifter bearing. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 with 5.7 Hemi. 156k miles. I disabled the mds last year (with Superchips tuner) due to a noise when it engaged 4cyl mode. Read that it could be cam phaser.

I recently heard tapping sound so pulled cylinder head and found seized lifter bearing. I’d like to get parts on the way ASAP but not 100% sure on what to get. I did consider a cam swap while I’m at it but don’t want to complicate things. I’m already happy with the performance of the truck with 3.92 gears so my priority is reliability. I am planning on replacing all lifters. Should I get all “non mds” lifters since I have it disabled anyway? Thoughts on hellcat lifters on stock truck? And what about the mds delete plugs? Any need to pull the mds solenoids since I’ve already disabled with tuner? Ok to reuse head bolts? I’m guessing new timing set would be recommended as the condition of the cam phaser is questionable.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I know that’s a lot of questions but I’m sure there’s one or two people on here that have been through this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2011 with 5.7 Hemi. 156k miles. I disabled the mds last year (with Superchips tuner) due to a noise when it engaged 4cyl mode. Read that it could be cam phaser.

I recently heard tapping sound so pulled cylinder head and found seized lifter bearing. I’d like to get parts on the way ASAP but not 100% sure on what to get. I did consider a cam swap while I’m at it but don’t want to complicate things. I’m already happy with the performance of the truck with 3.92 gears so my priority is reliability. I am planning on replacing all lifters. Should I get all “non mds” lifters since I have it disabled anyway? Thoughts on hellcat lifters on stock truck? And what about the mds delete plugs? Any need to pull the mds solenoids since I’ve already disabled with tuner? Ok to reuse head bolts? I’m guessing new timing set would be recommended as the condition of the cam phaser is questionable.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I know that’s a lot of questions but I’m sure there’s one or two people on here that have been through this before.

If you want to do a cam swap now is the time to do it while the engine is open. Going with an aftermarket cam does not complicate things. It's a great way to make more power. I would replace all 16 lifters for sure and since you have MDS disabled I would go back with all non-MDS lifters and remove the MDS solenoids and install the MDS plugs.

Also, there is no problem with running a Hellcat lifter in a stock motor. I put them in stock motors all the time. With the engine apart, I would install a new timing set as well as a new cam phaser and solenoid.

And, as a rule of thumb, never reuse the head bolts. They are a torque-to-yield bolt and are a one time use. You're on the right track with your thinking and planning.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you say "lifter bearing" do you mean lifter roller is seized? If so the cam should be replaced. It's unlikely, if it was a seized roller, that the cam is completely unscathed. As deep as you're into this you don't want to tear it down again to do the cam.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of oil were you using, You might want to consider using a Synthetic motor oil w/ good filter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you didnt get a mis fire code, or had any engine issues like rough idle, in theory what you want to do is doable. Even at 150k, I wouldn't say I wouldn't do the same thing. Why replace a cam if you dont have to? After you get the lifters in see how they and the valves are working with engine on.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look closely at the picture you can see that cam was contacting the shoulders of lifter. I did get misfire code for that cylinder and not considering reusing the camshaft , just don’t know if it’s worth looking at aftermarket cam. The tuner that I have doesn’t allow for custom tunes so I know I would be pretty limited. I’m thinking of just going to a “stock” non-mds cam and trying to find a source for the hellcat lifters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is that wear on the side of the lifter body?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

The cam will dictate if you can use MDS lifters. If you go with an OEM cam go with OEM lifters. That way if MDS every activated again you won't grenade the motor

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you look closely at the picture you can see that cam was contacting the shoulders of lifter. I did get misfire code for that cylinder and not considering reusing the camshaft , just don’t know if it’s worth looking at aftermarket cam. The tuner that I have doesn’t allow for custom tunes so I know I would be pretty limited. I’m thinking of just going to a “stock” non-mds cam and trying to find a source for the hellcat lifters.

The 5.7 manual transmission Challenger cam is a non-mds cam that will work pretty decent,it and the non-mds lifters will be available from your local dealers parts department or from Benny on here.There is no such thing as a Hellcat lifter anymore ,they're all the same lifter these days,it's either a mds lifter or a non-mds lifter. The only automatic transmission non-mds cam is for a earlier 2500,and it's a pretty mild cam for a lighter 1500

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know how you feel, man. I just went through replacing cam/ lifters after a lifter failure, and things didn't turn out so well for me.
Read here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/hemi-carnage-all-8-intake-valves-bent-after-cam-swap.176007/

ya I read about that last night I think.
I know how you feel, man. I just went through replacing cam/ lifters after a lifter failure, and things didn't turn out so well for me.
Read here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/hemi-carnage-all-8-intake-valves-bent-after-cam-swap.176007/

I read about that last night. Sorry about your luck but the engine swap probably a good call. Hope all goes well

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 manual transmission Challenger cam is a non-mds cam that will work pretty decent,it and the non-mds lifters will be available from your local dealers parts department or from Benny on here.There is no such thing as a Hellcat lifter anymore ,they're all the same lifter these days,it's either a mds lifter or a non-mds lifter. The only automatic transmission non-mds cam is for a earlier 2500,and it's a pretty mild cam for a lighter 1500

Thanks Wild one, I will look into that. I had been looking for the hellcat lifters and everyone is sold out. Dealer here is way too high. How can I find Benny on here?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see the sides of the lifter are rounded off on the left side of the right lifter in the pic in post 6. The cam must have some damage from that.
that was my point, but I couldnt tell, if so might consider biting the bullet. I meant the side on top of lifter, not the sides of lifter body, that lighter section in the first pic. one roller looks sunken as well, the one with the wear on the top side, might have some good cam wear.