Seized lifter bearing. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone confirm part number 05038784AD lifters would fit? I think I found a set.
Also found camshaft 53022064BD which should also fit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so did some more digging and looks like those cam and lifters would "fit" but there were a couple guys (on another "forumz") that had some misfire issues after switching to non mds lifters. One guy went with mds cam/non mds lifters, other guy went with non mds cam/lifters but both had misfire codes.

So is there a way to use all non mds lifters without a custom tune?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, so did some more digging and looks like those cam and lifters would "fit" but there were a couple guys (on another "forumz") that had some misfire issues after switching to non mds lifters. One guy went with mds cam/non mds lifters, other guy went with non mds cam/lifters but both had misfire codes.

So is there a way to use all non mds lifters without a custom tune?

If you don't want a custom tune,you'll probably have to keep the stock cam and mds lifter set-up.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
2011 with 5.7 Hemi. 156k miles. I disabled the mds last year (with Superchips tuner) due to a noise when it engaged 4cyl mode. Read that it could be cam phaser.

I recently heard tapping sound so pulled cylinder head and found seized lifter bearing. I’d like to get parts on the way ASAP but not 100% sure on what to get. I did consider a cam swap while I’m at it but don’t want to complicate things. I’m already happy with the performance of the truck with 3.92 gears so my priority is reliability. I am planning on replacing all lifters. Should I get all “non mds” lifters since I have it disabled anyway? Thoughts on hellcat lifters on stock truck? And what about the mds delete plugs? Any need to pull the mds solenoids since I’ve already disabled with tuner? Ok to reuse head bolts? I’m guessing new timing set would be recommended as the condition of the cam phaser is questionable.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I know that’s a lot of questions but I’m sure there’s one or two people on here that have been through this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gonna need to pull the cam anyway, may have some bad lobes on it.

Wetley49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can the cam and lifter swap be done without pulling the engine, or is it easier to pull it out? Asking for a friend

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a poor choice of oil and filter. Pennzoil and a WIX filter can't be beat for reliability.
RGT is miles ahead of anything Pennzoil has including PUP. RGT 5W30 has triple the Moly that PUP has(150ish to around 50 on the PUP) I've actually ran both(running RGT 5W30 with Lubeguard right now) and had a quieter engine with the RGT. Pennzoil Platinum and the other lower grade Pennzoils are actually in the same category with Supertech(not that there's anything wrong with Supertech)

As far as oil filters go the RP oil filter is the Holy Grail of oil filters along with Amsoil and this is coming from a guy who's been running WIX XP and Napa Platinums for awhile because I'm a cheapskate.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got parts today so I pulled the camshaft and remaining lifters. Camshaft is trash with one lobe worn down about 1/8”. Also had pitting on a cyl 7 lobe.D9FBFF42-6D6E-4FA2-A888-0BD7F7F94A2D.png

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Got it put back together today and after lifters pumped up it’s running good and oil pressure back up. How would I go about flushing the engine? Just do another oil change?

You would have removed the whole engine to be disassembled and hot tanked. Hopefully the filters catch the debris.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
here's a good recent youtube video on this issue. It shows the larger needle bearings in the lifters introduced in 2016.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got parts today so I pulled the camshaft and remaining lifters. Camshaft is trash with one lobe worn down about 1/8”. Also had pitting on a cyl 7 lobe.View attachment 245913

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your misery with the forum, much appreciated. That pitting is really telling, as when you see a smooth lifter you never know for sure if there is any metal rolling around, it is very possible it is worn slowly and w/o fragments. However, that pitting tells a different story for sure, no way did you not have some metal running around that engine. Do have lifter pics somewhere? Those pits look like the side of the lifter caused that, but the smooth lifter looked like it could have been a different issue. That is the scary deal about these hemi's, can be needled bearing or something like lifter is not lifting because of perpendicular forces. It looks like you have two separate engine killing issues on the same freak'n cam.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks like the cam was a bad casting to me.... those "pits" look just like the rest of the unfinished cam.

Could be wrong, that's just what first came to mind when I saw that picture.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk