Should I change my trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GusBros

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
That's true. But shops and mechanics will generally take the easy way out even if it means skipping steps ...if they think they can. And most techs certainly don't like crawling under a hot pickup when they could be doing it on a hoist.

You(OP) might be better off contacting a good transmission shop and get an estimate from them...and make sure they are going to raise the rear end and do it the right way. They'll probably have to charge a little more for the process, but you only need to do it once (hopefully). And I would stand there the whole time and chaperone the process in their waiting room or whatever, and ensure the shop/tech does it the right way. If you wait till summer, shops usually have their bay doors open and you can just stand outside and watch. Bark out orders if you need to, the moment they start to cut corners.

If a shop says, they have a procedure where they can do it on the hoist, ask how they get the transmission level doing it that way. (best not to use that shop).
Just a question, if I use my two post lift can't I use the different lift spacers on the lift points to change the level?

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have a 2018 black express, 90k miles, had about half of those miles towing, driving on the beach or hauling crap in the bed. I don’t feel great about changing it myself with how crazy a process it is, any ideas how much a shop would charge to do it? Or should I just ride it out and hope it makes it to 200-300k with no problems?
By my 17 RAM 1500 owners manual is says 120,000 miles if you don't haul a trailer the filter/pan and fluid must be changed. It amounts to about $350. to $400. depending on the dealer. Its required if you have a MOPAR warranty beyond the factory one.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a question, if I use my two post lift can't I use the different lift spacers on the lift points to change the level?

Not on the cheap Princess Auto / HF ones , You see how much my truck was up on jack stands . I wouldn't want that on my lift off balance like that.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The MOPAR manual is the emergency fire starter, thats all its good for. nothing in there will make your truck last.

Remeber those clowns only care about EPA regulations.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
ZF recommends change a 60K, Pan will need to be replaced, MAKE sure and use MOPAR or ZF fluid only.. Amazon has both the factory pan and the Dorman replacement, either work quite well. Amazon also has the fluid.
It's not that big a job to do if you have the tools. If you are unsure check the UTube videos, they usually will guide you and you will not be paying a dealer $900+ dollars.

IdaRam4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gemí 5.7

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PPE Pan
Valvoline Max life

Wasnt even a question when I did my swap, Thats what I keep seeing on Hi Performance Ram! so I got what guys that know their **** get.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Absolutely nothing about this job is worth $647! It’s super easy."
Well, yes, that's because you're supplying your own labor, do not have to support a large building with perhaps millions of dollars worth of tools and equipment, you pay your own medical insurance and don't pay insurance on a large facility (you likely aren't carrying insurance on your driveway). You aren't paying for the yearly update training for techs., nor workman's comp.

I could go on, but I've made my point.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105912 miles.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, yes, that's because you're supplying your own labor, do not have to support a large building with perhaps millions of dollars worth of tools and equipment, you pay your own medical insurance and don't pay insurance on a large facility (you likely aren't carrying insurance on your driveway). You aren't paying for the yearly update training for techs., nor workman's comp.

I could go on, but I've made my point.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105912 miles.

I understand why shops have to charge what they charge. I also get some people aren’t mechanically inclined or maybe just lack the mobility and dexterity to be able to work on their vehicles even if they wanted to.

With all that being said, I was merely attempting to point out that for the average car guy, this job is so easy, it’s hard to find value here; “substitution effect” from an economics perspective.

I don’t wish to derail the thread but everything involving an exchange of goods or services for money is an economics equation. And IMO, this one doesn’t add up to providing value.

Even at 2 hours work, I dunno about you but I’m not fortunate enough to be able to value my labor time at $320+/hr. And this didn’t take me 2 hours.

That’s all I meant to imply.

Last edited:

Ronin807

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have a 2018 black express, 90k miles, had about half of those miles towing, driving on the beach or hauling crap in the bed. I don’t feel great about changing it myself with how crazy a process it is, any ideas how much a shop would charge to do it? Or should I just ride it out and hope it makes it to 200-300k with no problems?
The only pucker-moments changing it yourself are:
1. It's much easier if you have a second person to watch the gages and read the temps. As you add new fluid
2. You'll need a fluid transfer pump of some kind, One that doesnt suck is a HUGE help ! ( and possibly a second person to work it underneath the truck with you)
3. The fill hole is right next to the exhaust so ya gotta watch that...(alittle tougher for us south-paws, Seemed like it'd be much much easier for someone who was right handed/normal....)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The only pucker-moments changing it yourself are:
1. It's much easier if you have a second person to watch the gages and read the temps. As you add new fluid
2. You'll need a fluid transfer pump of some kind, One that doesnt suck is a HUGE help ! ( and possibly a second person to work it underneath the truck with you)
3. The fill hole is right next to the exhaust so ya gotta watch that...(alittle tougher for us south-paws, Seemed like it'd be much much easier for someone who was right handed/normal....)
A long sleeved welding glove or several wet rags draped over the exhaust helps mininiumize the burn factor,lol.
I use my homemade 1 gallon weed sprayer transfer pump. Cheap and easy to build

Attachments

• IMG_5190.JPG
    IMG_5190.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5188.JPG
    IMG_5188.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 11

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even at 2 hours work, I dunno about you but I’m not fortunate enough to be able to value my labor time at $320+/hr. And this didn’t take me 2 hours.

This is exactly why I call them Stealer****s!

They like hosing people on these easy jobs, tell the unknowing that this trans fluid is unicorn **** and its a complex job to do. When in actuality its the exact opposite. They got to pay for those flashy buildings right ? So I understand from a business point of view. Just sucks that they take advantage of the uninformed.

When I had my tile business , I also would upcharge my costumers when they made me work with irregular patterns as my SQ/ft charge was for standard .

Never did I double the price FFS.

Last edited:

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know. The job probably pays 1.5 hours to the tech. How much is labor these days? Then the price at the dealer for the oem pan/ filter assembly has a list price of $419. Fluid at dealer prices is $40 a qt for 6qts. It adds up fast, and the dealer is locked in to using oem parts. I think you need to blame the parts dept. :) That, and the German engineer at ZF who decided it was a good idea to build the filter into the pan assembly. No wonder Ram decided the transmission was a lifetime fill. It's pushing $900 plus tax when the dealer has to do the job.

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't know. The job probably pays 1.5 hours to the tech. How much is labor these days? Then the price at the dealer for the oem pan/ filter assembly has a list price of $419. Fluid at dealer prices is $40 a qt for 6qts. It adds up fast, and the dealer is locked in to using oem parts. I think you need to blame the parts dept. :) That, and the German engineer at ZF who decided it was a good idea to build the filter into the pan assembly. No wonder Ram decided the transmission was a lifetime fill. It's pushing $900 plus tax when the dealer has to do the job.
I was willing to have the dealer do mine, even knowing they were gonna bend me over. The problem was they didn't call me back to schedule the job (twice).

Worked out ok for me, though. All thanks to this site and those members that shared their knowledge and experience here. They gave me the encouragement and confidence to DIY, and I am grateful.